31 replies to this topic

#1 Laharle

Laharle

ラブ・ミー・チェーン

• Senpai
  • 4437 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Not many sport threads I think. 

Right now we are at Sochi 2014, my country doesn't participate in anything I think (or like, 1 guy was skiing or something, can't recall), but I just love all the figure skating. 

Today I watched Male category and was really happy for Yuzuru Hanyu, he is such a pro and so young, and pretty cute, I really like when apart from being tech pros they are charismatic. The last guy who skated had so much charisma. I was also happy for Denis Ten. 

Then some Winter sports confused me, like Luge....especially Luge with two people in it. 

Anyone watching them?

竹内朱莉 小田さくら

#2 teatime

teatime

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 641 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

^ yes! I am! I woke up early the past two days to watch the figure skating competition. My favorite winter sport is definitely figure skating, and that's just because I used to figure skate (really badly though  :ph34r: ). 

And yes, I was so rooting for Hanyu as well as Jason Brown. I'm glad that Hanyu got gold even though it was a disappointing free skate. But poor Jason wasn't able to get a medal..at least both Jason and Hanyu are young though? I have a feeling that as they mature their skating will feel 'fuller', and less shaky. 

Luge is fun to watch - even though I don't understand everything..but curling just dumbfounds me. 

25iq96u.jpg
Michishige Sayumi & Oda Sakura

#3 beyooooonk

beyooooonk

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1220 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:48 AM

On Chan's performance, Vancouver bronze medalist, Joannie Rochette tweeted: "He had gold on a silver platter. He took the platter." XD 

The free skates were all so sloppy... I'm really happy for Hanyu, but I want him to come back four years from now matured and prove that his gold wasn't a fluke.  That short program though... omg lyk doki doki woah

You can tell I only really care about figure skating in the Winter Olympics.  The Summer Olympics are another story... can't wait for 2016!

Posted Image

#4 Laharle

Laharle

ラブ・ミー・チェーン

• Senpai
  • 4437 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:54 AM

Yeah, Jason Brown, you can so tell he loves what he is doing, he was a super fun way to end the entire thing. 

Hanyu is young so I also can't wait to see what he'll do next time. Thing is Silver medal was also super sloppy, I still don't get why he won it apart from the previous points but he fell like twice and not even a single point in discount, while Hanyu also fell and had -2, what's with that? I don't even think he thought he would win something from the look on his face, dunno. But I get it's a shame when the winner couldn't help his nerves, yet I think he deserved it. 

Same happened with the winners from the err, partner-skating, I think most of the performances had somebody falling, I think even the winners had something troublesome, and there was a couple that were so good (I can't recall if the Japanese or Chinese), but previous points make the difference in the end, I was so disappointed. X3

VS Arashi's curling looks more interesting than real curling, but I've only seen previews of it.

And Summer Olympics are another story indeed! 

竹内朱莉 小田さくら

#5 teatime

teatime

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 641 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:43 AM

I actually love the Winter Olympics, but there were a lot of things that were totally off and strange this year. For one, I don't think it should have been held in Sochi seeing as it's a beach resort. So the cost of making/importing snow into the area cost way too much money. Not to mention that the crowd/audience for some of the events are really lacking in number. Like after Evgeni Plushenko bowed out of the short program, the majority of the audience left, and that's just disrespectful in my opinion. 

I've seen Hanyu skate so so much better that it was totally disappointing to see his nerves get to him at the Olympics - although I suppose it is THE Olympics. Regardless he's a fantastic skater, and I hope his momentum continues to rise because he's just amazing! But overall this year's skating for the men was quite lackluster other than Hanyu and a few other competitors. By the way if anyone wants to see more Hanyu skating, I'd recommend this fansite, since it has a lot of information and videos.

Anyhow! What is everyone else going to watch next since the Men's figure skating has finished? I'm looking forward to seeing Kim Yuna skate as well as Mao. But really though, I'm rooting for Yuna to win her last Olympic gold since she's retiring after this. 

25iq96u.jpg
Michishige Sayumi & Oda Sakura

#6 WhiteForte

WhiteForte

Eternal Berryz工房

• Senpai
  • 4112 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

I don't really watch the Winter olympics, pretty much because I prefer competition sports (football, basketball, tennis, etc) and there are not many in this one.

Tokunaga Chinami
Kanazawa Tomoko
Asakura Kiki
Ogata Risa
Matsunaga Riai

#7 rattrap316

rattrap316

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2424 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Wohoo!!!  Since I'm in Canada.... This is the Olympics that I love the most.... So many amazing sports to watch.... Been watching curling and Women's hockey a lot lately... Especially Japan's hockey team.... My (Japanese) friends were all excited about "Smile" Japan....

I watched their games.... As much potential and skills these ladies have, they do still need a few more improvements before they start making noises.... 

But of course, since I am Canadian, I am really, really excited for the Men's Hockey....  I really hope Canada can defend their gold in these Olympics.... Maybe against home town Russia -or- a rematch with US... But whoever it may be, if Canada makes it to the Finals, you can bet I will be cheering them on....

@whiteforte:  when you mean by football, do you mean soccer or amercian football?

#8 Laharle

Laharle

ラブ・ミー・チェーン

• Senpai
  • 4437 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

^Must be exciting, Canada is everywhere in these ones. X3 There's this Canadian sisters that won the Moguls right? The one that won gold was just gorgeous. /random
Hockey is pretty amusing, I think I've only watched one or two games this time. Good luck Canada! 

I'm pretty sure she is saying soccer, since she's from Chile (hi there, I'm from Argentina! ). I thought only USA said soccer = football, interesting. X3

I actually love the Winter Olympics, but there were a lot of things that were totally off and strange this year. For one, I don't think it should have been held in Sochi seeing as it's a beach resort. So the cost of making/importing snow into the area cost way too much money. Not to mention that the crowd/audience for some of the events are really lacking in number. Like after Evgeni Plushenko bowed out of the short program, the majority of the audience left, and that's just disrespectful in my opinion. 

I've seen Hanyu skate so so much better that it was totally disappointing to see his nerves get to him at the Olympics - although I suppose it is THE Olympics. Regardless he's a fantastic skater, and I hope his momentum continues to rise because he's just amazing! But overall this year's skating for the men was quite lackluster other than Hanyu and a few other competitors. By the way if anyone wants to see more Hanyu skating, I'd recommend this fansite, since it has a lot of information and videos.

Anyhow! What is everyone else going to watch next since the Men's figure skating has finished? I'm looking forward to seeing Kim Yuna skate as well as Mao. But really though, I'm rooting for Yuna to win her last Olympic gold since she's retiring after this. 

Didn't know that, and I thought there were less people because it was the Winter Olympics, also. That was kinda rude huh. =/ Or rather, figure skating is so nice to watch, why leave?
The stray dogs thing irked me most about being held in Sochi, and talk about money being wasted, Brazil as a fellow underdeveloped country for football World Cup, there has been many complaints. =/ 

It is THE Olympics huh, I think a lot of good skaters had their nerves win them over this time, I'll be sure to check that site out because I became an instant fan! X3

Women Figure Skating, of course. I'd watch the other stuff but I have an exam on Monday, but that's what I'm waiting for. I'm not familiar with the ones that skate though. 

Ah, also, I have a question. I think it was on Saturday, I caught this woman singing like 4 songs, with ladies and men dancing behind her. I think she was Russian, but I don't know and her voice was gorgeous, I just can't find who she is! It was not the opening ceremony, I think it was just a random act at night, but I can't find her anyway. X( If anybody knows, that'd be great. 

竹内朱莉 小田さくら

#9 WhiteForte

WhiteForte

Eternal Berryz工房

• Senpai
  • 4112 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

@whiteforte:  when you mean by football, do you mean soccer or amercian football?

Well, that is asking me to get into an argument XD
Soccer yeah, I don't consider American football football, since it is basically not foot-based.

I'm pretty sure she is saying soccer, since she's from Chile (hi there, I'm from Argentina! ). I thought only USA said soccer = football, interesting. X3

Hi there!

Well, watching Inazuma Eleven I learnt Japanese also call it soccer, but probably because they always think everything western = USA, so they must use their words.

Tokunaga Chinami
Kanazawa Tomoko
Asakura Kiki
Ogata Risa
Matsunaga Riai

#10 necrosonde

necrosonde

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1312 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

Tonight, Shimizu and Takeuchi are qualified for the ski jumping final! :lol:  (Reruhi Shimizu and Taku Takeuchi)

a0fm.jpg

#11 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

I was so glad too see that Hanyu won gold! His past performances were amazing so I think his nerves got to him during this olympics (considering its his first, its understandable). I would have loved to see Daisuke Takahashi take a medal before his retirement, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.. 

I was upset that Chan got no deductions when he staggered once and fell twice, yet Hanyu dropped twice and got 2.00 deductions. It's as if they were trying to make Chan win. 

I loved Peter's performance, it was super cool ^^ 

tumblr_lygzzoSBD21r56dlh.gif
  tanimoto ami • ise layla • sato masaki  ❤ 

#12 beyooooonk

beyooooonk

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1220 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

Looking forward to the ladies skate... especially Gracie Gold and Polina Edmunds.

And for you Hanyu fans, I found a cute video of him hearing Chan's standings http://hanyuzuru.tum...-have-ever-seen

Posted Image

#13 Bexie

Bexie

You can't spell Yoshizawa without oshi

• Senpai
  • 1278 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

I haven't really watched much of the winter Olympics tbh - I don't know why, as I vastly prefer it to the summer Olympics. I'm going to at least try to watch what's happened in the figure skating, though, I love that.

I got quite in to the men's ski jump, though. Got pretty excited for Noriaki Kasai - been in the Olympics since before most of his competitors were even born and only lost out on gold by like 70cm.

I thought he'd won at first, when they announced who won, it wasn't up on the screen but he was laughing and clapping, so I thought he'd won - turned out he got bumped down to silver but he was still stupidly happy and the first thing he did was run over and congratulate the guy who had just beat him.

THAT'S SPORTSMANSHIP :D

zukkisig.png

Eternal Yossie Fangirl
<3 Zukki <3

Harunan ~ Kanana ~ Duu ~ Kaedi ~ Ruru 

You did well, Jonghyun

#14 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

*squeals* that's the cutest video of him i've ever seen! i love his english it's so adorable  :wub:

#15 Chimai

Chimai

Kamonegikkusu~

• Senpai
  • 4214 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:30 AM

Figure skating is literally the only part of the winter Olympics I care about. I love the Olympics in general, though. It's so much fun because you have so much pride for your country when they do well but you also feel a rush of warmth for others, too.

Hanyu is the actual cutest! I was rooting for him the whole time. He's so talented and he also has such a great attitude and personality, I love it! It was really sad and surprising that he fell twice, but I understand. Next Olympics he'll do even better.

I also feel a great sense of pride for Jason Brown because he's from a town in my area. He's also really fun to watch.

#16 Nao-kun

Nao-kun

Seeding is Sexy

• Senpai
  • 5921 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:40 AM

^

Next winter olympics will be closer to home though with almost no time difference, he'll know all of Japan will be glued to the idiot box expecting nothing less than gold...

He'll need adamantium nerves is what I'm saying.

#17 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

^ I hope be be able to attend the Winter Olympics in S.Korea to see him (and others) skate. I really love the Olympics, during the London Summer Olympics I watched some of the events there such as the opening ceremony, swimming and archery (the perks of the Olympics being in the same city as your home town haha). seeing all the countries come together is truly spectacular.  ^_^

#18 Laharle

Laharle

ラブ・ミー・チェーン

• Senpai
  • 4437 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

So I've watched the Women figure skating SP. Kim Yu Na was really great, but overall all of the first places did a great performance. I think I enjoyed Yuna's and Ashley Wagner's performance the most. And what a prodigy, that 15 year old russian girl, she was so good...I suppose she can't see it like "I'm still so young" but she must feel really sad though, her face after the performance. It seems women will have a tough fight, with men I think it was more obvious who would win -except maybe bronze-. 

竹内朱莉 小田さくら

#19 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:18 AM

I expected nothing less from the amazing Kim Yuna  :wub:

I was really surprised at the 15 year old russian girl, she was really great, I can see her becoming the next "big one to watch" during the Olympics in S.Korea. I was disappointed after seeing Mao Asada's performance.. 16th place? this is someone who was expected to be fighting for gold. I guess she just wasn't in the right state of mind at that period of time, It happens to a lot of skaters before they perform.

#20 Hatched Egg

Hatched Egg

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

I haven't watched the short program yet, but I'm having difficulty imagining what Mao's program is like considering her standing. Regardless the top 3 are neck and neck so the free skate should be interesting. Hopefully it won't suck like the men's free skate did.

East meet west at Daijobimasen

Tsunku is my oshi.

Not even the marriage scandal could end my devotion to him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users