• Please log in to reply
1218 replies to this topic

#881 Greyface

Greyface

Prior of The Brotherhood of The Booger Beam

• Senpai
  • 5684 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:41 AM

This girls voice is amazing for an idol. Such control and warmth to the sound. She is a bit aggressive in her pronunciation, but that can be improved with time. I see such promise in her voice. She does need to practice being just as dynamic in her quiet times as her loud times. She also needs to smooth out her transitions from note to note, adding more "legato-like" or  "glissando-like" motions to her singing would make her untouchable, in my humble opinion of course. She had minor intonation issues when singing accapella, but those happen to everybody. For a young lady, she shows much promise.

I think a lot of what you're saying about her "aggressive" pronunciation is H!P tradition and required of her by the director. Which is not to say that your analysis is wrong, just that I think she is that way for one specific reason.

The story I tell myself is: Tsunku was aware of how little attention is paid to backing-tracks among idol fandom, so anything he wanted to accomplish rhythmically had to be right in their face, (coming out of the idols' faces). So, he made it "a thing" for everybody he raised, and the later, additional singing coaches, voice-directors and overall producers took it on, both as "The H!P sound" and the already present singing style of some proportion of their talent.

For my part, I've long been curious what all of the better singers in H!P would sound like if they were given instruction to sing more like Western idols or mini-divas.
What I've learned about Japanese so far, is that you must first pay attention to these 2 things: Rule #1 and Context. After that, just pray they remember their high-school English class.

#882 Punkin

Punkin

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1388 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:00 AM

^ I think Goto Maki’s vocal change when she moved to Avex is a good one to look at in regards to your final question there. Her voice was almost unrecognizable, but I think that’s also because she dropped the cutesy idol sound and holding back her voice that a lot of HP girls do. Airi is an example of that... but her singing hasn’t changed all that much since leaving and working with a diff. vocal coach than the one she had under H!P, so I don’t know what that says about her singing style... did she sing in a very H!P way before and does she still? I personally haven’t noticed much of a change so I dunno if she is an exception or if she just didn’t change the way she sings after going solo (already sang in a less H!P way before to begin with while in H!P). Also, girls who work with Sugiru-sensei (Juice, Platinum-era Momusu) became stronger singers overall in my opinion and tend to have less of that squeakiness at the end of lines and whatever. And, girls also tend to drastically improve when they’ve worked with the vocal coaches for musicals (Ayacho is a fantastic example of this). I’ve never been able to fully figure out the situation with HP vocal coaching but honestly, it makes me wonder when so many girls end up with nodules (sometimes more than once) and even straight up damaged voices (Riho, HagiMai), especially after Tsunku left there was quite the increase. There’s definitely an issue in technique to have issues like that and the girls probably aren’t taking proper care of their vocals either, which is a shame because a lot of girls leave H!P with potentially damaged vocal cords from improper technique and care that’s put in place to retain a certain “H!P-style” and it will make things a little tough for them if they wanted to continue music outside of being an idol and now have to fix that damage. There’s girls who drastically improve after leaving (MeiMei, GoMaki, even Nacchi due to the many musicals she’s done since graduation), and then there’s girls who are left with very little to go on frankly (HagiMai, possibly Riho?) and a steeper hill to climb if they want to fix that. And of course there’s the girls that still sing more or less the same way like Reina and Sayu, though Sayu is a whole other level to this topic that I won’t get into here lol.

#883 Greyface

Greyface

Prior of The Brotherhood of The Booger Beam

• Senpai
  • 5684 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:47 PM

^
I mostly wanted to double-up on your comment about how musicals affect the members.
Ishikawa. Rika. (before and after Ribon no Kishi)

And I am totally mixed about Sugai-sensei. He obviously does improve vocal performance, but he also, obviously doesn't prevent them from blowing out their vocal chords. Like, if a sports trainer got an athlete to world-champion level while ending their career, he'd be blacklisted forever. (Hi Takahashi Ai, how's that voice of yours doing? Oh, SOMETIMES you can talk normally? That's great!) Though, there really are few performers who work as hard as H!P members. Just speaking out of impressions (I'm not really that informed on the topic) I think you're talking professional opera and Broadway before you beat the schedules H!P keeps.

Suzuki Airi is not in H!P, but she's still surrounded by more or less the same staff. And while she has reported some amount of self-production, I bet there's still a producer asking for this and that out of her vocal performance (as opposed to (for example) Nakajima Takui who tells the engineer/producer when he likes a take and when to scrap one) So, without actually knowing what I'm talking about, I still think of her on the "not expected to (or allowed to) change her vocal style" list
What I've learned about Japanese so far, is that you must first pay attention to these 2 things: Rule #1 and Context. After that, just pray they remember their high-school English class.

#884 JPope

JPope

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:18 AM

Takahasi was over-worked, which I think probably had more to do with her blowing her voice out than any training. By contrast, Niigaki had a nice steady improvement throughout her MM run as TakaAi's contemporary, and she sounds amazing now. The workload Ai had to shoulder was irresponsibly heavy when you consider that she never had any stamina live, and was audibly spent half-way through most shows. 

Ruru is in a great position, having good technique and joining a group of strong singers that don't need to rely on any one girl to carry the load. Her softer voice has improved since her debut, and she has that electricity that can't be taught. Her ceiling is pretty high.

#885 DiegoKashiwagi

DiegoKashiwagi

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 750 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:37 AM

Im so happy to have seen more Orange lightsticks than usual at Octopic!
she was amazing as always.

#886 thegabriel

thegabriel

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 4361 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:20 AM

<3  <3

Danbara%20Ruru,%20Kanazawa%20Tomoko-8903

Akita Jam Festival 2019 段原瑠々

J=J-段原瑠々

MM.'24-櫻井梨央  ON-中山夏月姫 

A-川村文乃  BYD-島倉りか  

TF-河西結心  KSSU-橋田歩果

#887 Nayok-Kihara

Nayok-Kihara

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 14639 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:31 AM

After feeling pain in her foot Dambara Ruru was diagnosed at the hospital with a sesamoid bone fatigue fracture in her right toe. She was told she needed to rest for about a month, so she will focus on just singing at the Hello! Project 2020 Winter & Juice=Juice NEW SENSATION concerts. After that her condition will be reconsidered upon consulting with a doctor.

Fandom Obsessive.
XgqXhMV.png
Graphics by nono:)bbz & Charlokylie.

#888 rurupedia

rurupedia

rururururu

• Senpai
  • 1714 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:49 PM

aww, i hope she feels better :(

#889 mie-chan

mie-chan

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:37 PM

Fatigue bone fracture is what ended career of Mitsui Aika. Dambara is too tall high heels since young age.

#890 Casidesia

Casidesia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:34 AM

Foot issues aren't to be taken likely. While I worry about her career, I worry more about her health. I myself have an odd foot injury/condition that made it very hard to walk at one point, much less dance. Recovery is taking a while, but I look foward to the point I can go for a jog without hurting. I do miss dancing though.
Basically, I want most that she recovers so this doesn't affect her quality of life most.

MM: Ayumi, Maria, Rio |||| A: RikakoAyanoWakana |||| JJ: RuruAkariRiai

TF: Mao, Marine, Mizuho |||| BYO~: Minami, Kurumi, Kokoro |||| ON: KanamiMomo, Kirara

HPKU:  Yulia, Karin, Ayana |||  HPK: Niina

#891 Nayok-Kihara

Nayok-Kihara

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 14639 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:57 AM

Aika fractured her ankle, not her toe. While it's true health isn't anything to be taken lightly either way, the ankle supports a lot more movement than a toe and Aika had more chance of recurring injury because of how her ankle might move and how much she'd be relying on it in dance routines / long concert tours (and if she kept injuring it, there was chance it wouldn't heal as nicely the second, third, etc time). As long as Ruru rests like she's supposed to, I think she'll be fine long-term.

Fandom Obsessive.
XgqXhMV.png
Graphics by nono:)bbz & Charlokylie.

#892 mizukingdom1

mizukingdom1

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1060 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:05 PM

Hope she has a quick and complete recovery  :(

#893 Muyim Pimoup

Muyim Pimoup

Micky Chelsea Fieldmiddle

• Senpai
  • 2802 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 06:09 PM

latest OMAKE, she and Funakki playing some card games,,it's entertain me and her laugh ,, XD

looks like she quite good at it,, 

ITEwlYD.png

H!O GENERAL ELECTION 2023 IS OPEN!!!

VOTE AT https://www.hello-on...-election-2023/

#894 thegabriel

thegabriel

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 4361 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 07:58 AM

Ruru blogs about being a part of the celebrity relay song for the Hiroshima Toyo Carp.

<3

Danbara%20Ruru-912862.jpg

それ行けカープ! 段原瑠々

Here's the song.

J=J-段原瑠々

MM.'24-櫻井梨央  ON-中山夏月姫 

A-川村文乃  BYD-島倉りか  

TF-河西結心  KSSU-橋田歩果

#895 thegabriel

thegabriel

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 4361 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:28 PM

<3

Danbara%20Ruru-916082.jpg

おうちメイク 段原瑠々

J=J-段原瑠々

MM.'24-櫻井梨央  ON-中山夏月姫 

A-川村文乃  BYD-島倉りか  

TF-河西結心  KSSU-橋田歩果

#896 °Dancing_Queen

°Dancing_Queen

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

https://youtu.be/-XGaygiT-GE

So I just saw this performance on YouTube and wow she has such a wonderful voice. I know that is not news to any of us but I just love listening to her sing! It soothes my heart!

°C-ute Nacky                                        Angerme Mizuki                          Country Girls Musubu

Morning Musume '18 Daishi               Juice=Juice SayubeeDambara                    Kobushi Factory Ayapan ReiRei                                                                                                                                                                    Tsubaki Factory Yumeno Mao                   

Best Combis JimaJima NakaAi IshiDuu DaiSaku SayaTomo

--Nacky will always be my Dancing Queen--

#897 rurupedia

rurupedia

rururururu

• Senpai
  • 1714 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 11:37 PM

i love that performance! ruru's voice is really so nice to listen to~

#898 KawaiiLand

KawaiiLand

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1626 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:36 AM

^^ wow, that was the best solo performance I have seen from her. I think because of Airi's vocal range quite similar with her?

#899 rurupedia

rurupedia

rururururu

• Senpai
  • 1714 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:50 AM

happy bday ruru!!!!!!!

#900 Muyim Pimoup

Muyim Pimoup

Micky Chelsea Fieldmiddle

• Senpai
  • 2802 posts