Photo

Rate The Song Above You!

Music discovery thread

• Please log in to reply
722 replies to this topic

#1 Mab

Mab

Everywhere you go, the sky is the sky, and people are people.

• Senpai
  • 1221 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

Seen this work on other forums but have never seen any topic like that on here, so why not give it a go? Should be fun.

The gist of this thread is to listen to the last song posted, give it a rating (like an 8 out of 10 for example, and you can explain your rating if you feel like it.. but that's up to you), then post a song of your own to be rated next. Then the pattern just keeps repeating where the next poster rates the song above them and posts one of their own.

This is more of a music discovery thread, more-so than a rating thread. Basically, just don't worry about what rating your song gets from someone else. Don't flip out if someone gives your favorite song ever a low score lol, people have different tastes so it might happen.

Might wanna post some general rules to this thread to make it go smoothly:

1) Don't post a song without rating the song above you.
2) Don't rate the song above you without posting a song of your own to be rated next.
3) Don't post more than one song in a single post.
4) Please try to listen to the whole song before giving a rating, if not the whole song, a large chunk of it to give it a real rating. Don't just listen to 10 seconds and give a random rating so you can post a song of your own.
5) All musical genres and languages are welcome, and it doesn't matter if the song is H!P or not, you can post whatever you want.
6) Don't quote some random song and rate it, only rate the last song posted.
7) Have fun and enjoy the music!

Anyways, to get it started, something random I've been listening to quite a bit recently:

#2 rinafest'19

rinafest'19

slow release schedule apologist

• Senpai
  • 1848 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

8/10 I thought it was slow at first, but I really started to like it! The crawling scenes were a bit weird, but I overall like the music video!

MizukiRina

Twitter

#3 Mab

Mab

• Senpai
  • 1221 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

9/10. Not a bad dance song at all. Video got really weird pretty fast but that doesn't really matter lol.

#4 hao9384

hao9384

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

mh, i give it a 6/10... it's not bad, but it's not good either... i think it a it monotonous.

#5 iheartmanochan

iheartmanochan

1st gen member

• Kouhai
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

I have an OSTsong from A Pink that I absolutely adore, but sadly, I don't have any other songs from them.
I give this song a 7/10. I mean, it's kind of catchy, but I just can't seem to fully like it.

Tokyo Girls Style  PASSPO☆★ Fairies ★ MM ANGERME

Juice=JuiceE-girlsSilent SirenFAKY

Jpop Music Review Blog

#6 Caroline

Caroline

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

^ 8.5/10. It's really catchy and I just pressed the repeat button. I like the rapping lines too :)

:gitaa:

#7 PSMsoldier

PSMsoldier

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Paramore - "Monster"

My rating - 7/10

It was pretty good. The music was the best part for me, it rocked. Usually I am not a huge fan of female vocalists (while there are a few exceptions) unless they are singing in Japanese, but her voice was nice. The lyrics were a bit confusing and probably metaphoric, so I did not understand what the song was about. Probably some deep meaning for people to analyze.

Also the singer reminded me of Misty from Pokemon, which is cool.

Here is my selection.

Queen - "Don't Stop Me Now" (Automatic Mario Version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDWJFMXOY88

wilkd_zps5868349c.gif

#8 Mab

Mab

• Senpai
  • 1221 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

Lol - it actually made me laugh out loud at first. But, it was pretty interesting. I'm gonna give it an 8/10. It wasn't too obnoxious like some of those can get, it was actually really entertaining, and I like Queen, so yeah!

#9 number244

number244

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1340 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

Ahh, Tears for Fears!
To tell the truth this isn't my favorite TFF song. I love the percussion work; like listening to a symphony!
The synth sounds are dated, of course; It's an 80's song after all.
What I really like about this song is the way each successive verse/chorus adds another layer of instrumentation. By the end of the whole song, you get a fugue!

And ... I never listened to lyrics much, but I loved the "I'd really love to break your heart" lyric. I'm sadistic.
Alas, the song is about a minute too long: I lose interest before the end of the song.

7/10

SHIINA RINGO- HONNOU

#10 (AZN)animedude

(AZN)animedude

O__O

• Senpai
  • 2588 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

8/10

i need to listen to more shiina ringo tbh, been awhile

GooseHouse.jp, my musical addiction =D

:P suddenly...azn's become a ZONE man XD

read mah blogs =D
and read mah reviews =D #2 on that list, and going up

#11 hao9384

hao9384

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

i give 8/10, a good and beautiful song. the beatboxing is a bit lame. i think, when the song would be a real song with instruments and effects, it would be a good summer song.

#12 Mab

Mab

• Senpai
  • 1221 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

^ Gonna say 7/10. The song did grow on me a little bit after listening to it for a little while. I actually had to listen to it twice to make sure of my rating lol. The instrumental was a little annoying, and the lyrics didn't really seem to fit that well. But, like I said it did grow on me, so it gets an ok score.

The song ends at about the 5 minute mark, the rest is just the ending of the concert basically.

#13 TheFicusWithSuperPowers

TheFicusWithSuperPowers

long may she reign

• Senpai
  • 3960 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

7/10........I like the most part of the song..............But the vocalist is annoying! I don't like her! 7/10 thanks to the instrumental. Her voice is really awful!

A Korean Song. CNBLUE. I'm a loner! + Subs

iheartsaechanwithtext_zpsa8d1a9eb.jpg

cr: byutaereina and renaismile thank you, both of u.

Graphics thread. Tumblr. Twitter Fanfiction Goodreads

#14 HanaPyon

HanaPyon

5th gen member

• Validating
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

7/10. I can imagine listening to it while I'm doing something else ( kind of like a pleasant background noise) but the song is just too bland to concentrate fully on it. Hope you understood... ^^;

tumblr_nvb01ykwyw1tgdqiyo4_1280.jpg

Made by Xiukki!

#15 JennyInTokyo

JennyInTokyo

Takahashi Ai wota! ♥

• Senpai
  • 3451 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

I don't really listen to this kind of music
But I'll give it a 7/10 I love the instrumentation of the song, it was catchy but simple at the same time
The only thing I didn't like was the singing of the verses, they were a bit montone and didn't really keep my interest but once it got to the bridge and the chorus it picked up a little bit :)

<3NECRONOMIDOL <3PASSCODE <3BABYMETAL <3ZOMBIE POWDER <3MANACLE <3

#16 Mab

Mab

• Senpai
  • 1221 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

8/10.

A pretty mellow, laid back, almost folksy song from Ayumi. Kind of caught me off guard, but it was nice, and I was feeling it. Not bad at all.

Since I've been obsessed with this song the last few days since it's been released, might as well post it. Been stuck in my head.

#17 blindwhatif

blindwhatif

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

imho 7.5/10
very good! definitely sexy and like some of the choreography they have. as for the music, im thinking it's one of those songs that require me to grow into. it sounds good but i think a few more listens will get me hooked. i suppose ill favorite and watch later =)

as for my submission:

Recently been getting into the electronic, dubstep, house scene and therefore finding music to get myself started into DJing as a hobby
i find this song quite catchy what about you (next person rating)? =)

Posted Image

All Credit goes to S-N-I-P-E-R for the beautiful set =) thanks again Sniper

#18 Mab

Mab

• Senpai
  • 1221 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

imho 7.5/10
very good! definitely sexy and like some of the choreography they have. as for the music, im thinking it's one of those songs that require me to grow into. it sounds good but i think a few more listens will get me hooked. i suppose ill favorite and watch later =)

as for my submission:

Recently been getting into the electronic, dubstep, house scene and therefore finding music to get myself started into DJing as a hobby
i find this song quite catchy what about you (next person rating)? =)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLz-9aYEtWs[/media]

9/10. It was a good listen, I like their style. I didn't think it was too dissimilar from my last post, and I really liked the Knife Party remix, they did a good job.

Some strange Jpop song that has really caught my attention lately, it's kind of a dubstep jpop song. Which to me is interesting, because this artist Sawa doesn't have any other song really like that, most of her stuff is kinda just jpoppy or dance/electronica. I'm just curious to see what someone else thinks:

#19 HanaPyon

HanaPyon

5th gen member

• Validating
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

8/10. I do like it, it just isn't something I would listen to every day. And it is a bit too long.

tumblr_nvb01ykwyw1tgdqiyo4_1280.jpg

Made by Xiukki!

#20 TheFicusWithSuperPowers

TheFicusWithSuperPowers

long may she reign

• Senpai
  • 3960 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

10/10
Amazing! One of my favourite 2005 songs...Great!
First 10! Haha!
But, for me, that's a great song!

iheartsaechanwithtext_zpsa8d1a9eb.jpg

cr: byutaereina and renaismile thank you, both of u.

Graphics thread. Tumblr. Twitter Fanfiction Goodreads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users