• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Oh even with a middle ground agency like UFA they make a great deal of money so can afford attractive salaries for young girls it's more than enough even when they are starting out. Most of it when they are young goes to supporting family and their rent etc if they needed to move to Tokyo i imagine so that is why they live on an allowance but still their spending money seems to be enough to live well. You get girls talking about going out for meals and stuff often and that's not exactly cheap in Tokyo.

But there are idols who are much lower down on the chain who struggle to make any real money and many idols chasing the dream drop out alltogether before they even got anywhere so it's not always guarenteed to make you a good living.

"Attractive" salaries? Considering that no one has backed out from a contract after being chosen in auditions, I don't think it has anything to do with attractive salaries when you join at first... mostly the dream and of course you went through all the tests so might as well be an idol high salary or not.

#42 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

One thing to consider is that anything these girls want, like Sayu's need to have all of the latest electronic gadjets, they seem to go and get. iPhones? Laptops? Music devices? They have them all!

I wanna see if Aichan has a cellar of Dom Perignons, or Risa has Italian/Scandinavian male boxers models flown into Tokyo just to give her backrubs :D

Yeah, you don't really have to be a celebrity to afford the latest gadgets, unless you buy 10 of the latest Macbooks every week...

#43 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

If you ain't blue, you ain't true

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

"Attractive" salaries? Considering that no one has backed out from a contract after being chosen in auditions, I don't think it has anything to do with attractive salaries when you join at first... mostly the dream and of course you went through all the tests so might as well be an idol high salary or not.

The whole dream is about the glamour that a life as an idol can bring. Would young girls be flocking to do something if they didn't think they could be rich with tons of fans? I doubt it.

There are lots that get in smaller agencies that don't make much money and struggle and those ones tend to give up it's only the bigger agencies that offer good money and promotion that tend to keep idols.

So i think money is an important factor over just dreaming to be an idol looking at the amount every year who give it up because they aren't getting anywhere and are struggling to make ends meet.

TEAM TAKECHAN

#44 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

The whole dream is about the glamour that a life as an idol can bring. Would young girls be flocking to do something if they didn't think they could be rich with tons of fans? I doubt it.

There are lots that get in smaller agencies that don't make much money and struggle and those ones tend to give up it's only the bigger agencies that offer good money and promotion that tend to keep idols.

So i think money is an important factor over just dreaming to be an idol looking at the amount every year who give it up because they aren't getting anywhere and are struggling to make ends meet.

The dream could easily be an illusion (like idols are illusions), and the new ones are mostly children. If they can't make ends meet, their parents would.

#45 Piper G

Piper G

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 745 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

If I dream of being an idol it's a lot more about being able to sing and have people enjoy it than money. Perhaps I'm weird though :)

I believe H!P has a promotional deal with Apple. The girls are always appearing in MacPeople.

#46 hafiz18

hafiz18

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

didnt momo said that being an idol is a way to get out of poverty..

so the idols must had been paid really good money..

#47 writerserenyty

writerserenyty

1st gen member

• Kouhai
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the stories of more idol groups wasn't like this. AKB worked itself up from the ground up, which means I bet it took a long time for them to actually become profitable. H!P is a different story, since they were from the start highly promoted by Asayan and the whole public audition thing. I'd honestly bet that a lot of idols from smaller groups don't get paid very much, but do it just to be an idol.

~Devoted fan of Ishikawa Rika~ Charmy Supporter Forever
HappyDiscobanner-1.jpg
Ishikawa Rika is Love

Ooguro Yuzuki Ishida Ayumi

Sasaki Ayaka Oota Aika  Aso Natsuko Tamura Meimi Watanabe Miyuki

#48 SI51

SI51

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDvgZzdQVIA#t=0m58s

I just saw this, and thought it was relevant.

Maximum monthly earnings of Former MM Ichii Sayaka and Former Onyanko Nitta Eri. Only 120,000 yen and 200,000 yen. Ichii Sayaka claims they didn't get anything from the CD sales. Nitta Eri used to get paid 5000 yen per filming of Yuuyake NyanNyan.

AKB girls claim they don't get much either.

the host even mentioned how it ruins the "Dream" (as mentioned in this thread Posted Image), but Sayaka implies the "Dream" is more about the experience....

#49 Chibs

Chibs

Confessed Eriholic

• Senpai
  • 3329 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

you have to realize sayaka quit just after they made it big time. i doubt the girls now make so low.
Posted Image
avvie made by Sprinklebuns
rocker kamei

#50 SI51

SI51

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

^
yeah, and which girls are you refering to?

People need to realize the golden era MM are an exception, not the norm.

In a recent episode of Gurunai, the contestants had to guess the rent that Kikuchi Ami (Idoling!!!) pays. Yamase Mami (former idol) guessed that her rent would be the lowest. Her reasoning? Idols don't get paid. And she was right... Despite Kikuchi appearing in more TV shows then any idol right now, she had a low rent apartment which she shares with her older sister.

Just like other workplaces, Idol salaries increase according to your track record. It's also a business where people are constantly dropped or replaced. You have to prove that you are beneficial to the agency's future before they will make any large effort to keep you happy and stay on board. You hear stories all the time of one hit wonders not even getting a penny despite their success.

I've seen a lot of people speculate that H!P girls get paid well solely because of H!P past success. I think it's being extremely optimistic to assume that anyone past the 5 gen started off with a decent contract (though I doubt they had one either). Sayaka's case proves that UFA in the past were no more generous then any other agencies, and I don't see any reason for them to be now. UFA knows that the odds of newer girls reaching H!P's previous level of success are not good. I think they would take a "prove to me that your worth it" stance now more then ever.

Sayaka left "just after" they made it big? She stuck around until Happy Summer Wedding, and already had 3 million sellers under her belt before that. And its not like MM were doing very poorly before Love Machine. It just goes to show you that Idols have to stick around and be popular for a while before they are even considered for a generous pay raise.

#51 Krusha

Krusha

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Sayaka also was part of Pucchimoni which had a big hit as well.

Idols in general don't make much at all, they make money through commercials, advertisements and stuff associated with them outside of the group - and even that isn't much. Those who really make money are popular talents, or musicians.

#52 SylviaDelaney

SylviaDelaney

7th gen member

• Banned
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

Hm, I'd wager idols in an established group like Momusu or AKB make the equivalent of around 12,000 US$ a year on average but those with lots of external work make closer to the equivalent of 20,000 US$. In an indies or still up and coming/struggling idol group I'd say the members would make around the equivalent of 10,000 US$ a year if lucky.

#53 ItsudemoAibon

ItsudemoAibon

Kago Information Network

• Senpai
  • 9506 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:48 AM

^
Well, it's been documented that in her best year Sayu made about $450k. Fukuchan makes about $167k (over $3k/week)........these girls aren't hurting.

Interesting...........this was posted before both Aina Otsuka and Uta Shimamura backed out of their contracts,

#54 randomrrr

randomrrr

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 822 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

It's been documented that in her best year Sayu made about $450k.

Interesting. I didn't know this. The closest thing I know was Sayu said every day her mom gave her 10,000 yen allowance, IIRC. Can't remember where I read about it though.

#55 ItsudemoAibon

ItsudemoAibon

Kago Information Network

• Senpai
  • 9506 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

When Sayu was under 18, her parents were in charge of her money. Even though she was making tons of dough, her mom gave her an allowance for carrying cash. $80-100/day was enough for Sayu to traipse around Tokyo. Evidently she socked a lot of money away........she was able to take two years+ off and take it easy......or do whatever she felt like doing.

#56 Nighttiger

Nighttiger

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Hi I want to know if true or not, I was looking up translated information about C-ute came across an article about Chisato Okai, in a dramafever article it said "young Japanese singer Chisato Okai loses 10 years of Savings to wild spending by parents"? Is that common among idols with big families

#57 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 5295 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:53 PM

Nope, it was just a really sad case with Chisato. I'm sure the majority (at least of H!P idol parents) takes good care of their daughters income.

You do have families where the idol becomes the main earner in the family, though. That was the case with Kago Ai. But considering that some if not many of the H!P girls are rather well off I don't think it happens as often anymore.

VKnn8U2.png

I, for one, welcome our new 15ki overlords.

Hello! Project Photobook Overview

Hello! Project Ages Overview

#58 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:21 PM

I find it really hard to believe that Mizuki is only a couple years older than me and she's making 3 times as much money in a week, as what I make in a month. $3k a week is like $420 on average each day. What on earth.  :omg:

tumblr_lygzzoSBD21r56dlh.gif
  tanimoto ami • ise layla • sato masaki  ❤ 

#59 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 5295 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:54 AM

Granted, she also has to live in Tokyo which is super expensive and then she won't be making this much money after graduation anymore - which might be in a few years ^^;

VKnn8U2.png

I, for one, welcome our new 15ki overlords.

Hello! Project Photobook Overview

Hello! Project Ages Overview

#60 miyooooons

miyooooons

mother

• Senpai
  • 2126 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

I'm under the impression that the longer the girls stay, the more their salaries increase. I don't have much evidence to back this up other than Berryz, Aichan, Gaki, and others who had stayed 10+ living apparent lavish lifestyles after graduating. That's just my feeling though.
I think it may also depend on what group you're in and what kind of income your specific group is bringing in. I don't imagine it to be any crazy 6 figure amount, but I think after a few years it becomes a couple thousand more than what you could earn at a part-time sales job. And obviously outside work such as CM's and promotional deals are a big factor in these girls' income.

MM:  A: 

J=J: ⬤ TF: 

BY:   ON: 

ALUM: Meimi Maasa KSSU'23: Yulia / Hinoha / Rena ~ edited: 2023/12/29

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users