• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 PCC

PCC

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 921 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:29 AM

mmmyeah... the life-bending thing probably was a plot device to avoid having blatant murder in a kid's show. or they just don't want the "good" guy doing any bloody killing. but it does help build upon what  the avatar's or raava's real power is in LoK. that is ,the avatar/raava manipulates spirits or life energy , and the elemental powers they had were sort of "borrowed" from the dragon turtles.

as for the villians, i kinda prefer my villians to be old skool evil. unapologetically cheesy ass evil. without being stupid evil as in totally chaotic evil. but that's just me.

now if you look at the plot in different way , you can say the main villians in all 4 season of LoK found redemption. meaning the main villian in S1 is not the racist but his brother, and S2's villian is varick and not the darklord-wannabe.

varick always half-redeemed himself for his selfish actions by helping team korra here and there, but things never would have screwed up as much without his behind-the-scenes manipulations, so he is in a way a bigger villian than the darklord. some might say he's more "evil" just because he did it for FUN 'N' PROFIT!

as for amon's bro, he wasn't as honest and straightforward as amon. making him a more ignoble prick. in addition, he was in a position to create a relatively "equal" society in the city, but all he wanted was more political capital. but yeah, he redeemed himself by regretting his actions and offing himself along with the racist.

Edited by PCC, 20 March 2016 - 06:40 PM.

b011567e5ed5fe01d20f62129749e1834524bc7.

#42 Bexie

Bexie

You can't spell Yoshizawa without oshi

• Senpai
  • 1278 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:58 AM

I still need to actually watch Avatar from the beginning. >.>

I remember it first being on Nicklelodeon but I never watched it because it was an American show in an anime style - not out of anime geek snobbery, but simply because I'd watched a few other shows that used the anime style and thought they were all AWFUL... I assumed Avatar would be the same. I've since had many friends telling me this was a completely wrong assumption to make and that it's amazing (one of these friends being a 40-something mother of two, lol). I saw a couple episodes from I think the first series but they were partway through and I had no idea what the hell was going on, although it seemed interesting.

Is it on Netfilx? I swear I've seen it while scrolling through stuff on Netflix...

zukkisig.png

Eternal Yossie Fangirl
<3 Zukki <3

Harunan ~ Kanana ~ Duu ~ Kaedi ~ Ruru 

You did well, Jonghyun

#43 melonpan♪

melonpan♪

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2756 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

Legend of Korra is absolutely amazing! I loved how there were undertones of social issues in it. And the social issues were so relevant to what people are discussing today. 

For example the first season's underlying commentary on oppression and privilege was quite interesting. 

I wont go into detail because politics on an international idol website   :noo:

My only qualm is that i wish they had developed Korrasami sooner in the series. <3

#44 rinafest'19

rinafest'19

slow release schedule apologist

• Senpai
  • 1848 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:55 AM

The Last Airbender used to be on netflix sadly it was taken off a couple years ago.

I think it's all free on amazon prime and the first 2 seasons of Legend of Korra are free as well

legendofkorra.tv is what I use to watch episodes, it has both series.

I like Legend of Korra more because I like Korra better as an avatar and each season has a different political theme (communism, theocracy, anarchy, fascism).

I also really liked that the creators of the show weren't afraid to shake up what we knew as the Avatar world, book 2 really turned the avatar world on it's head.

MizukiRina

Twitter

#45 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Netflix UK has ATLA and they're currently trying to get LOK on there as well ^^ 

tumblr_lygzzoSBD21r56dlh.gif
  tanimoto ami • ise layla • sato masaki  ❤ 

#46 Bexie

Bexie

You can't spell Yoshizawa without oshi

• Senpai
  • 1278 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

^ ah so we in the UK have it and the US don't? Weird.

I'll have to watch it through Netflix on my computer, then... changed the DNS settings on my PS4 so I can get the US Netlix through it as in general it has SO MUCH more than ours (been binge watching The Walking Dead and 30 Rock, lol)

zukkisig.png

Eternal Yossie Fangirl
<3 Zukki <3

Harunan ~ Kanana ~ Duu ~ Kaedi ~ Ruru 

You did well, Jonghyun

#47 rinafest'19

rinafest'19

slow release schedule apologist

• Senpai
  • 1848 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

Yeah I once changed my location and looked on the UK netflix and saw ATLA, it didn't let me watch anything on there anyway so I just changed it back to the US location.

Bryke say there won't be another Avatar series but they said the same thing after ATLA and we got Korra so theres always hope for something new.

What would you want to see in a 3rd series? I read an article about the next avatar being twins (the whole article was basically fanfiction). I think thats a really cool idea, one could be fused with Raava and the other could be fused with Vaatu? Or maybe the other twin is a non bender and eventually becomes the main antagonist of the series?

This avatar would probably only have Korra as a guide, so I hope there could be a minor recurring role for Korra.

Do you guys have anything you'd want to see if there was a 3rd avatar series?

MizukiRina

Twitter

#48 PCC

PCC

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 921 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

yeah i saw from links to the "3rd-series" fanfiction. don't even want to click on them. fanfiction almost always leaves a bad taste in my metaphoric mouth. though i'm guessing they can't be as bad as harry potter fanfics or anything that's specifically targetted to teens.

b011567e5ed5fe01d20f62129749e1834524bc7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users