Photo

If there will be a local 48 group in your city...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: If there will be a local 48 group in your city... (77 member(s) have cast votes)

If there will be a local 48 group in your city, will you support it?

1. Yes, definitely (11 votes [14.47%])

Percentage of vote: 14.47%

2. Yes, but I will still support AKB/SKE/NMB as well (19 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Maybe yes, if the members are cute (8 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

4. Maybe yes, if the songs are great (14 votes [18.42%])

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

5. No, I will only support AKB/SKE/NMB (24 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Undirrast

Undirrast

2nd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 422 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:46 AM

If there is to be a local 48 group in your country, they probably wouldn't carry much of the AKB/SKE/NMB or Japanese idol group type of gene, they must be local enough to attract you. AKB is the way it is because it's how Japanese wants their idol to be and how the idols want themselves to be. Other Asian countries are certainly similar as we place moral in front of anything else.

Since I'm Asian, and I have never been to the western world yet, I'm not quite familiar with you guys' cultures and etc so I'm actually curious. I know there's some shows in the western part like American Idols or British got talent, I've never watched them but I think it will be something like that. I don't know about Sweden though, excuse me for that, but if there's no music channel/entertainment how do you guys live? o.O
Majisuka Gakuen Summary Site - Summary with pictures for episodes of Majisuka Gakuen 2.
Majisuka Gakuen 2 Casts - Complete translation from Majisuka Gakuen 2 Official Homepage.
Nakayan Quest - Nakayan Quests in English! Starting from Lv. 18.

#22 TxBullnettle

TxBullnettle

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:02 AM

I want to say a quick thank you to Krusha for his in-depth post which hits everything I wanted to say, except all I was capable of at the time was a blurb. I've been working on a project about AKB in my Presentation Essentials college class so I had a lot to say, just not here. Yes, idols are kept on a tight leash, but they know the deal going into it. They make the choice to subject themselves to the rules, and if they can't keep the rules they're kicked out. This isn't a double standard since both male and female idols have the same requirements. If the point of feminism is equality than I don't see a problem there.

I appreciate the high standards that AKB/H!P maintains because it takes discipline to carry the idol burden, and self-discipline is something especially lacking in the western artists that Krusha referred to. Which brings me back to the subject of this thread, if a ***48 group was started in the U.S. the compromises necessary for it to work would make the whole thing unrecognizable compared to the original formula. AKB begins every performance saying "itsumo kansha" meaning "always grateful", and they constantly express gratitude to their fans. Contrast this with the stories you hear of western celebrities who in addition to uninhibited sex, drugs, and violence are often arrogant, self-absorbed jerks who demean and disregard their fans. In all the forums I read and follow, I've never heard of any AKB/H!P member brushing off a fan who met them in person. I've also never heard of an active member performing while "high", drinking and driving, having to perform court ordered community service because of some crime, or attempting to use their celebrity to make demands.

At the end of the day, the reason AKB appeals to me is because they genuinely seem to be humble, gracious, and grateful. The mantle of "idoldom" which forces them to follow some pretty strict rules is a constant reminder of what they are aspiring to be. Sadly, I don't see a western group, ever, having that kind of attitude. The more I think about it, the more I'm opposed to a ***48 franchise over here. I'm worried that any intermingling could potentially corrupt AKB. Those are some additional thoughts to what I said earlier and some of the other posts.

#23 Tyzer

Tyzer

♥Kaori & Sayu♥

• Senpai
  • 4277 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:13 AM

I'm gonna say no.
I like the idea of them expanding to other countries, but I just don't think any other country than Japan could pull of something like AKB48.
I might listen to there songs, but only if they sound amazing or have a deep meaningful story behind it all.

I would definitely be hesitant to support them, especially after seeing Heart2Heart's song, Facebook Official. That's what happens when you mix American guys with Korean-pop styled music/dance... x_x

If I had the chance, I would definitely audition though! ;)

This is also one reason as well.

rdLAFtW.png
♥ 飯田圭織 | 道重さゆみ | 高地優吾 | 伊野尾慧 | 中村優一 | 瀬戸康史 | 篠田麻里子 | 小嶋陽菜 ♥
 Graphics - Tumblr - Livejournal - Set by Me

#24 Tim

Tim

:D:D:D

• Senpai
  • 972 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:43 PM

I don't know. Like, it'll just be a novelty I reckon, like they will have some massive televised audition process and then they will probably release a few songs but nothing will ever happen because majority of western people don't really care about the idol culture. It'll be like Australia's got talent, the person will win, and then a year later, nobody knows of them. But what would it be called, MEL48 or MLB48, or maybe with the postcode then it'll be 3000-48.
Also my fear would be that too man people will know about idols and will just trash their name, I know it sounds a bit hipsterish, but meh.

#25 hitoyou

hitoyou

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1412 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

I don't know about Sweden though, excuse me for that, but if there's no music channel/entertainment how do you guys live? o.O

I axed everything quite hard in my first post... so...

Well we have Swedish idol, got talent and so on. Quite uninteresting to follow though when nothing good ever comes out of it.
And a couple of "funny" music quiz shows...

You can get MTV and VH1 if you want to, but MTV is not a music channel any more, just a lot of "South Park" and "16 and pregnant".

The main problem is that I live in a really small country with only a few major artists so there are nothing like Music Japan, MelodiX, Happy Music, Count down TV etc where artists can promote the music. Not enough music to fill the shows unfortunately. So sad...

...thats it I think... :unsure:

How do we cope with it... well here I am, surfing the net :D

#26 LovelyPrincessP

LovelyPrincessP

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1015 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:10 AM

I probably will. If the girls are pretty/cute and interesting and the music's good, I see no reason not to. Even if it turns out I don't like the group, a USA based 48 group would mean we'd probably get more appearances and maybe even a shop from AKB48.

I'd imagine it'd be like Snapple said, I can see the age limit being in the15-24 range. Maybe even 13 at the very youngest since tween acts are pretty popular here.

About the concern about the high standards the Idol world upholds (no boyfriends, no drinking, no smoking etc.) while there are plenty of teens that do those things frowned upon in the Idol world, it's not like it's particularly smiled upon here either. Girls that dress provocatively, go from boyfriend to boyfriend and sleep around are generally ridiculed and regarded as sluts. More and more people view smoking as a disgusting and unhealthy habit rather than 'sophisticated' and 'cool' like it once was that it's getting banned in public places and people under 21 aren't supposed to be drinking anyway. Teen pregnancy is a career ender (i.e. Jamie Lee Spears) and if you get too spoiled and demanding, your movie can get cancelled no matter how popular the first one was (i.e. Hilary Duff). Miley Cyrus has got a lot of heat for her newly sexualized image and involvement in drugs and when's the last time you've heard anything from her? Again, plenty of teen stars break these rules but it's not like they don't get slandered or judged if they don't hold up a clean image either. On some levels, young artists do have to uphold a certain image less their careers get cut short but because the western music industry is so much more adult driven than the youth obsessed Japan industry, it's really just a matter of making that transition to the adult world at just the right time. Do it too late, you're just another child star. Do it too soon, it'll backfire and you become a wayward lost cause (i.e. Lindsay Lohan). I think that's reason we see so many 'wayward' young stars because they know they can't rely on their childish charms forever and a lot of them don't have a clear idea of what it is to be an adult, most will think it means having sex, smoking, and doing other 'adult only' things while others will let it happen naturally. I agree we do have a problem with 'entitlement' and general 'arrogance' but that's something I think I see more with adult pop stars than the up-coming young stars trying to make a name for themselves. There's instances like Avril who dissed her fans for not thinking for themselves and acting like her but in general, young stars tend to be very excited and warm to their fans the jadedness not coming until they're a lot older.

I think... introducing the xxx48 concept into the youth driven portion of the entertainment industry where upholding a standard of innocence and respect are a prerequisite rather than a recommendation might not be as rejected or completely impossible as some think. I can actually see parents sending their girls off to audition just BECAUSE of the no boyfriend rule, lol. I'd personally like to see these rules implemented in an youth entertainment vehicle here just to see how far some will go to realize their dreams. Just saying... having your show/movie cancelled because of bad behavior or losing your lead status in a group because you got too big a head and failed miserably when you went solo can be a humbling experience especially when you're young and impressionable.

Posted Image

~Forever A Koharu Kusumi Oshi~

#27 Nao-kun

Nao-kun

Seeding is Sexy

• Senpai
  • 5921 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

warning, below post may include one or two minimal exaggerations,
Just try to imagine LKB48 (Liverpool based AKB Spin off), a bunch of 15 year old Girls hiding under orange fake tan while wearing mismatched track suits as they come out of rehab for the 3rd time to be reunited with their 2 kids where they have no clue who the dad is... auditions for it would take place in some Mc D Carpark, they would release songs with titles like: "My first time doing crack", "knocked up at 13", "Life on benefits is great" or " The Doctor discovered 16 new STDs in me".

Ok, one or two of the stereotypes we happen to have about liverpool might apply to other places as well, but seriously, it just couldn't work, when thinking of Japanese Idols one doesn't think of Trainwrecks, but of a better World (even if its just imaginary).

#28 michi.K.O

michi.K.O

Fuku-hime's Royal Butler

• Senpai
  • 2387 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

Maybe. Yes. But. Urm.

Well, I would prefer to be in a group where I can actually sing solo lines. And the whole idol thing may be a tad bit suffocating for me.

Plus, if it's in my country, there'll probably be some backlash from the religious people (I'm surprised there hasn't been any in Indonesia since they are even more extreme there XD).

I think if you really wanna be an idol, you should go to Japan. Do what Leah Dizon did or something.

TEAM MIZUKINGDOM!

#29 Noriega

Noriega

モデル大好き

• Senpai
  • 2961 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:19 AM

on the main land of America, I highly doubt a 48 group

However, considering the Japanese population in Hawaii and how popular the island is to Japan, I'm expecting a HWI48 or a HNL48. Seriously...

I want a Okinawa48 group though (unless Okinawa will be apart of the TPE48 territory)

#30 awesomecakes

awesomecakes

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:47 AM

I just had an interesting thought a few moments ago...

Rather than a local 48 group, how about that same local group... but IN JAPAN? The foreign-ness would definitely catch everyone's attention for a while at least.

Your thoughts?

#31 Undirrast

Undirrast

2nd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:15 AM

Don't quite get what you mean?
Majisuka Gakuen Summary Site - Summary with pictures for episodes of Majisuka Gakuen 2.
Majisuka Gakuen 2 Casts - Complete translation from Majisuka Gakuen 2 Official Homepage.
Nakayan Quest - Nakayan Quests in English! Starting from Lv. 18.

#32 BlackTsubaki

BlackTsubaki

Takamina

• Senpai
  • 1061 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:48 AM

^ I think he means taking the "Local ***48 from whatever country" girls and having them debut in Japan as a foreign group.

My answer to this poll is a big no. I like the idea of having different regions of Japan expanding on the idea of AKB48 but I would much rather keep this within Japan.

Takamina I Shimada Haruka I Mayuyu

#33 goratnik

goratnik

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1187 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

She means, dear BlackTsubaki.

If such group would be managed in a way 48 are, also selection of girls based on similar esthetics, I think I'd go with them. Really lacking beauty in media here! Sad thing, as streets are massively flooding with real jawdroply-pretty girls...

Posted Image

#34 kaisarshinjuku

kaisarshinjuku

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

in my country, there is one new local 48 group named JKT48,. but, my expectation of them is no less,. "nationalism",.

i must say, maybe they will not succeed like the their sister original group , but for some reasons that's the only way to support them like for AKB48,.
although i'm new fans of them,.

#35 Zarim

Zarim

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'd support them. I doubt it would ever happen here, but I'd support them. Well, considering we were the base country for Menudo it may not be so far off, but still now it would be hard. I wouldn't audition though! >.< I tried to get the girls in my old choir interested lol, so far Kaze wa Fuiteru was the only one that caught their attention. Too bad I'm not there anymore.

#36 Ian905

Ian905

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

I would support a CDN48, or a USA48. I think that would be really cool!

Then again, I'm one of the few people who loves Coconuts Musume and Beckii Cruel.... :ph34r:

Fan of the 48 Family, Linda III Sei, Tokyo Performance Doll, THE Possible, and Seifuku Kojo Iinkai.

My last.fm

#37 CAiTlin_Beat

CAiTlin_Beat

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1078 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

Support it? I would do my utmost best to freaking join it :P

Unfortunately I doubt there will ever be one in my country let alone my town.

Can you imagine a Welsh ***48 group?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users