• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#41 Snapple

Snapple

The Empty Bullring

• Senpai
  • 1032 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

My family HATE my music with a passion. So does my boyfriend. It's always about it being 'too happy' - WTF is wrong with happy music?! Emos. It's not a racist thing or anything either, they'd hate the same kind of pop in any race/language.
Posted Image
ICHIGOGO Twitter Last.fm Excessive Drama
秋元才加 ♥ 峯岸みなみ ♥ 篠田麻里子 ♥ 松井珠理奈 ~ freezingkiss

#42 Naddy-chan

Naddy-chan

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2627 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

My parents dont know H!P. My little sister likes Minimoni`s Pen pen kyoudai XD . I got a uncle who likes Jpop and I also got some cousins who also likes Jpop but im sure they dont know anything about H!P coz they only support a soloist (Aya Hirano,Nana Mizuki,Shokotan)

Morning Musume'14: Tanaka Reina Sato Masaki Oda Sakura  Juice=Juice: Uemura Akari Kanazawa Tomoko

gmJFj0.jpg

Love Live!: Ayase Eli Nishikino Maki Sonoda Umi  Koizumi Hanayo

Set made by iheartsaechan~

#43 Snapple

Snapple

The Empty Bullring

• Senpai
  • 1032 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

^ Get them into Aya Matsuura or Maki Goto, then you've got them! haha XD
Posted Image
ICHIGOGO Twitter Last.fm Excessive Drama
秋元才加 ♥ 峯岸みなみ ♥ 篠田麻里子 ♥ 松井珠理奈 ~ freezingkiss

#44 Ai4EvEr

Ai4EvEr

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:45 AM

I've been a fan of H!P since 2005 (introduced to it through Ouendan!, funny enough...loved Koi No Dance Site). Never really let it out until around end of '08.

As far as family is concerned they are all accepting of it...though not necessarily supportive if that makes any sense. My brother is indifferent though he is perfectly fine with what I listen to. He occasionally teases me but he's my older brother...he does that with everything so it doesn't really mean anything. My mother is also mostly indifferent though I've forced her to listen when I drive and I've noticed her tapping her feet sometimes. I showed her the part of Platinum 9 Disco when Ai did her solo and she LOVED that. I think she just avoids it because of language barriers. My sister-in-law is indifferent...though she did mention once that she found the music to be a little too poppy but she has no problem with me listening. My father on the other hand is slightly racist (subconsciously racist...if you get what I mean) towards East Asians so though he deals with it, he doesn't care about what I listen to. When I put it on in the car (I HAVE to have my music when I'm driving), he did mention that it all sounded too high-pitched and was annoying which I thought was ridiculous considering a lot of the female singers of his era purposefully trained their voices to be unnaturally high pitched and that was the draw (talking about Indian music by the way). My other family just teases but doesn't really say one way or the other.

While my family is mostly accepting, my friends are another story. My best friend Eliot is totally accepting and while he isn't a huge fan...he enjoys J-pop and likes some of the songs I like. My other real close friend Doug has made no indication of liking or disliking my H!P stuff but I'm pretty sure he doesn't like it. He's never once been mean about it and is always accepting and tolerant and patiently listens to all the H!P news I tell him since I have nobody else to tell. My other roommate says some of it isn't bad but he can't listen because he doesn't understand (he's the type that judges a song by it's musical value AND it's lyrical meaning). Most of my other friends either don't say anything or occasionally express that my taste is terrible because I listen to H!P and not stuff like Tool or System of a Down (which I actually do...but you know people only focus on what they don't like and ignore everything else).

Lately though, I've given up caring what others think and I flaunt my love for H!P and MM openly. I always post the videos I upload on Youtube on my Facebook...among other videos I enjoy. I actively listen to MM in my room at my apartment (especially when playing Civ 5 or WoW...and use it to play Audiosurf a lot). I blast it in my car with the windows open while singing. I am a little shy with sharing with friends who are in the car though (aside from my friend Doug).

Haha it was good to get that out. It makes me sad that there are other fellow fans who suffer similar and worse problems...but my advice is that you guys stop caring and just enjoy yourselves. Others will be forced to accept it...and if they don't...then they aren't worth your time :).

Ai Takahashi, Risa Niigaki, Miki Fujimoto,

Sakura Oda, Risako Sugaya and

Mai Hagiwara are my favorite H!P idols.

#45 Tim

Tim

:D:D:D

• Senpai
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

^
Oh I love Audiosurf.

I can't wait until I'm 18 so I can play H!P in my car.

I also learnt to not care anymore. My friends are concerned that I spend too much money. But there is this one kids at school who absolutely hates it so I troll him with it all the time to annoy him.

#46 Ai4EvEr

Ai4EvEr

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

Good. Troll them away to oblivion :P.

#47 洋hiromi水

洋hiromi水

dance, dancing all of the night~ ♫

• Senpai
  • 1654 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

that thread is interesting! it should have more posts. :good:
about my family... they have no idea about Asian music, so they didn't know H!P until I told them about it. I listen to it all the time since the beginning of 2009 and I use to listen music pretty loud, so they heard it and asked about it. I showed them.

my brother: doesn't care. he's 14 now and well... he said that Ai-chan is "damn sexy". That's it. ^^; couldn't bring him to listen to the music though.

my father: doesn't like the music and doesn't like the way non-whites are looking like (he is not really racist or anything, he just doesn't think of foreign women as beautiful... that's what he said. <_< ) he kinda annoys me sometimes because when he listens to some standard-beautiful-voice-singer he always says "you know, that's music, not the stuff you listen too." maybe his stereotypical type of "that's-music" isn't anyone's type...?! whatever.

my mother: doesn't really like the music itself, but is amazed by the work the girls do. They are " very pretty" and "talented" and even if they "don't sing the way we are used too", it is "great" how they can sing & dance at the same time. (I usually watch new concerts in the living room because we have a great TV there and she sometimes watches some parts with me). today (she was a bit drunk lol) she talked to my auntie about the film "Memoirs of a Geisha" and somehow came to talk about Japan in general and also, somehow, H!P... and she asked me to show some vid to my aunt and told her like "you know, those girls are really young, but they are amazing. they sing, dance, play in stageplays, model, etc..." I was happyyy~ :good: also, when 9th gen came out (and she knew that because I told her), she wanted to see the new girls and the new song. "those are the newbies?", she asked when watching majide. "cuuute~ they don't look as young as they are..." :lol:

my boyfriend: surprisingly likes it, even though he dislikes pop. sometimes he asks me to turn it off and I do, but usually it's okay for him. Onna to Otoko really caught him, and so did Majide. He just likes Momusu's music. However, he wouldn't listen to it by himself. (or at least I've never caught him ;) )

about the friend I share my appartment with: at first she was skeptical, then she began to love the girls because of their manner (Risa "uso!!!" everyone "eeeeeh? naniiii?" etc.) and now she listens to it not as much as I do, but she does - mostly Momusu, though. I have to keep her up with news and she loves Kyuukies.
my other friends don't really say anything about it... if I'm driving, I mostly listen to H!P, and if they drive with me, I don't care if they like it or not... it's my car. XD

I also find it annoying when people say the music is too "happy" or something... if they don't like that kind of pop, it's okay, but how can something be "too happy" anyway?
sorry for that long post :ph34r:

Yamazaki Mei Kaga Kaede  Haga Akane  Danbara Ruru Sasaki RikakoAkiyama MaoHirai Miyo

#48 Ai4EvEr

Ai4EvEr

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

Love your post Hiromi and I wish we had more activity in this thread.

It must be a dad thing being so resistant to thiese things. I find that intriguing.

Also I agree with your statement about 'being too happy'. Even if there WERE such a thing...why on Earth is that a bad thing? I think it's just other people's ways of expressing jealousy because they can't enjoy happiness :P.

Anyway...I wanna see more posts here! XD

#49 Tim

Tim

• Senpai
  • 972 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

I think most of the hate from my peers is due to jealousy. Because I am not living my life the way normal boys should and they also want to be liberated from the social norms and such. So they're angry that my life is free from the stresses of growing up the way other people want you to.

And I do think that it is dads who are least tolerant.

But I think my dad has become more tolerant now. But it is now extreme tolerance, like today on the news in another room there was a person speaking another language and my dad said "hey tim, what did he say? He was speaking Japanese." and I was like "no dad, that was Afghani" (well, it was actually Pashto which is the language of Afghanistan).
So in a way it is annoying because he relates everything to Japan now.

#50 Chimai

Chimai

Kamonegikkusu~

• Senpai
  • 4214 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

^ That's kind of like how my family is sometimes. Whenever there is something Japanese or something, they kind of tease me. but I've gotten used to it, they're my family.

My dad is actually more tolerant of it than my mom, I think, but they both are tolerant. I have been blasting Japanese music for 4 years now, so they have gotten used to it. ^^

My mom still sometimes asks "Why don't you listen to English music?" and stuff like that, but I just say something like "I like this type of music" she usually leaves me alone.

Both of them sometimes make fun of it lightly and spout gibberish (trying to sound like they're speaking Japanese) when I'm playing my music. That bothers me a bit.

I've never had a problem with my friends and my music. In fact, I got one of my friends into H!P. ;)

#51 Airiin~

Airiin~

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

#52 rattrap316

rattrap316

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2424 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

nice topic.... hahahahaha,,,,,

anway, yup. my dad and mom has no care for any H!P related items..... they never even question "why?" i go to japan or any of my travels....

as for my sis.... she's seen my calendar, so she has some idea..... and i think the only song that she may recognize from my playlist is "Ambitious....." cause it was my very first song and probably played that song to death.....

and yes, it would be awkward if my family started to ask about it since i've been going at this fandom for almost 5years now....

#53 ♥Sancchan♥

♥Sancchan♥

悪魔の恋人

• Senpai
  • 2401 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

Whenever I play H!P music at loud, my parents start rolling their eyes and they tell me to turn off that "squeaky, irritating shit" <_<
However, my sister likes some of the Momusu songs ^_^ And my grandma thinks Risa is really pretty :w00t:

#54 MimiChama

MimiChama

*~* 1/3 of the Musketeers of Miyaness *~*

• Senpai
  • 7723 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

^Of course your grandma thinks so ;)

Lately, my family has become more supportive... they don't really like it ( or pretend they don't, they don't really care), but they've come to accept that I actually want to BUY stuff and will get me some as Bday presents <3

#55 Yossi_love

Yossi_love

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1229 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

My sister does not care much, but she said Koharu and Sayumi are ugly >_> And she commented on my Goto poster on how japanese women do not have nice bodies lol

My mom actually watches concerts with me (not only H!P, also other japanese artists) and we also watched the documentry about MM in L.A. together as well as this H!P movie about a little dog. And she really likes Aika and Momoko! She already recognises a few songs that are often played in concerts like Souda!we're alive, rr21, love machine etc. and she always comments on how much she likes souda!
I think it was when someday she was in the living room with her laptop and I asked if it's okay if I watch a DVD and so she got interested, mainly because the fans cheered so loud.
She also is interested when I tell her about H!P in general and about how all of this works and also asks questions. And sometimes when I listen to H!P in my room she asks if I can turn up the volume a bit so that she can listen to it, too.

After we watched the L.A. DVD I told her that most of the girls aren't in the group anymore (it's actually not so long ago, when we watched it the PV of Majidesuka suka was just out!) so she asked me to show her the newest video because she also wanted to see Aika with another hairstyle and she really like the song and the PV. But she made the mistake to remember Koharu as "the girl with the ribbon" so she thought sayumi=koharu lol XD

The only thing she really does not like are the cutesy outfits with the short skirts that they always wear in concerts and she is not really very happy with the fact that i spend so much money on H!P. I got like 70 photo's from saitou hitomi and she said that she really can not understand how someone can pay for photos when you can just print them yourself. Oh, and she also does not like that many girls dye their hair, especially when it's this red/brown that you often saw on Eri.
So all in all i'd say I can not really complain ^^

But idk, maybe my family thinks i'm into girls, I never had a boyfriend and my room is full of H!P posters and pictures XD

#56 Yossiedance

Yossiedance

2nd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 486 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

When I saw this thread I thought of my sister.
She's four years older than me and she's been teasing me for listening to japanese music since in 2008 when I began watching anime...
She knows one H!P song, SYO, and whenever I listen to it she walks into my room, singing some kind of gibberish that's supposed to sound like japanese.

My parents doesn't really care about H!P, but when their friends or our relatives visit us, they try to make me speak japanese which is embarrasing. :c03:
And they won't let me buy H!P stuff. :bad:
They're really suspicious about buying stuff from the internet...

Posted Image
Credits to kawaii beam! for creating this lovely and amazingly beautiful set!

#57 SunnyBunny

SunnyBunny

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2700 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

My brother hates it lol.
My mom kind of likes some of the slower songs. She refuses to believe that Aichan is 24 XD She thinks she looks like she's 15 or something XD
She also thinks Sayumi is super pretty <3
My dad.. well he just doesn't care.
I have one cousin who is into H!P too, which is awesome. :3 I got him into it lol.

avatar by & signature by me! || voted ayacho's greatest fan of 2011!

anfVdz9.jpg

#58 Tim

Tim

• Senpai
  • 972 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:58 AM

I really hate when I get packages. They say "what's that?!" and I say music. But like they know I listen to Japanese music and they read the package and it says JAPAN on it so why do they bother? It really annoys me. Also when I get posters because they are in tubes, obviously it is a poster yet they still question me. It's not like I'm buy cylindrical drugs from Japan.

I don't think they really like me buying stuff. I used to buy these preloaded credit cards, but now my parents let me get my own debit card, so I think they are allowing me to buy stuff more openly.

The next step is listening to music without earphones. I have not once listened to any Jpop without earphones when my parents are around.

I also need to tell my parents that I'm going to go to Japan in January. If they don't like it, meh.

My feeling now is that my mum has gotten used to the fact that I like H!P and she even commented how cute Chinami is when I bought a Chinami top and it came with the photos. Also on Tuesday it is casual dress day at my school and I'm going to wear my Chinami top for the first time. No doubt my dad will comment.

#59 MoeGenesis

MoeGenesis

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

my family againt my H!P and againt my way on H!P, anime, and my collection
T-T

#60 strawberrypudding

strawberrypudding

\(//∇//)\

• Senpai
  • 1524 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

I really feel bad for those whose parents are so against buying stuff because I had that problem before too. ;_; I think the only thing you can do to change their opinion is to use the unsafest method to buy things- sending cash in an evlope to CDjapan because then they don't have to use their credit cards.

Anyway, my parents don't like the fact that I buy CDs too but they are fine with it as long as I pay them myself. But when
my family is visiting somebody and the topic of the conversation is : buying stuff from the internet, they always talk about
how stupid it is to buy CDs when you can download them.. <.<
My sister on the other hand doesn't really care for H!P but she's really into Audiosurf(I see there are a lot of other Audiosurfers here too :D) so she always asks me for some catchy and fast Buono! songs
she could play. That makes me really happy. :) My dad doesn't know what H!P is, but he knows I listen to japanese music and his comments are always kinda weird(he thinks japanese music sounds like russian..O_o?). My mom hates the way japanese girls act and their fashion as well so I don't think I would want to talk to her about H!P, but I ALWAYS talk about Reina..so yeahh..^^;;
My cousin likes Reina and Resonant Blue and that's all,she's more into SNSD :3

I remember that one day when I was watching a MoMusu concert(Rival Survival..I think?) my sister's boyfriend came and he actually asked me about them. That was most probably the only time somebody
was actually a bit interested in MoMusu,but again when there's something japanese I like he's like "ching chang..." XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users