• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#1 Tim

Tim

:D:D:D

• Senpai
  • 972 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

How does your family react to your fandom of Hello! Project?
My family;

For a while they didn't know I listened to Jpop. Then they found out when my pen pal sent me C-ute's campus life cd. The I started to be more public about liking H!P and started buying merch.
I have a few posters on my wall. Both my mum and sister claimed that Erina Mano was beautiful and that Saki Ogawa is cute.
For xmas last year my parents bought me an autographed c-ute poster.
My mum commented to our neighbour that I'm probably going to marry a Japanese person and my dad said "he better not!!" he sound serious. I felt a bit ashamed.
I don't play my music through speakers, only earphones. So I think if I played through speakers they'd get annoyed.
When every my sister sees my looking at twitter and it is japanese writing or my wallpaper was mitsui aika she would say something like "konnichiwa". My sister is 19, how immature? She also said to me "you better not marry a japanese girl!" and I was thinking, "excuse me? You are dating a half Filipino and half maltese, don't you start about interracial couples" but her boy friend was at our house and I don't really care because I'm smarter than her.
My dad and sister are quite ignorant to asian cultures, like we were at a chinese restaurant and my dad was making horrible jokes.
I don't think my parent really care about me spending my money becase I am saving as well as spending and I earn my own money.

Wow that was long. Sorry.

#2 KBL

KBL

Resident Beanie Snarker

• Senpai
  • 1021 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

my siblings are just like "meh" with it. my mum is different tho, she's an MM fan! :lol:

my mother knows some of the girls names and i get really surprised everytime she starts singing to familiar tunes like RR21 and Love Machine ^^;
and so far i havent seen or heard any complaints about me getting goods out of nowhere ^_^

#MayugeTeam4Lyfe
9_zps4c267694.gif
"Please, don't leave me!" Rika cried as she hugged Phil.
"Don't leave me alone without you."
She cried onto Phil's chest before she kissed Phil passionately.

#3 Tim

Tim

:D:D:D

• Senpai
  • 972 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

It's funny when a parcel comes randomly and it is on the table I pretend not to notice it but inside I am happy and then when nobody is looking I quickly sneak it into my room. But I hate when I get the slips from the post office saying I have to pick it up.

Your mum is awesome. Well based on the information I've been given... My mum wants to go to Japan so I guess that'll meam I can go with her so I don't have to pay for it all by myself.

I reckon my sister would be a fan if she heard the songs but I don't want her to be a fan because she won't buy songs and she'll probably have the radio rip versions where it has Maimi saying something about the release date at the end and she'll play it on repeat and annoy people.

One of my cousins doesn't like it. She looked on my laptop and my wallpaper was Berryz工房 and she was like "eww asian shit again" (she's only 12).

My friends are supportive but some aren't and I have to defend my groups so badly sometimes once ome of my friends tackled me to the floor because I told him I've spent $1200 (a few months ago) and that I don't listen to rock music. And then I spammed his facebook wall with golden era MM songs. Most of my female friends are into Kpop, and my male friends I don't really know.

#4 Ichigo_Usagi

Ichigo_Usagi

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

My whole family just makes fun of me for it. I'm black, and I'd rather groove out to buono, c-ute or milky way than hip hop anyday, and that makes me "Asian obsessed" apparently. When I told my mom that I was joining my school's colorguard, she said "HAHA why? I thought you only danced chinese." She then had the audacity to get mad when I told her that I don't listen to chinese music, and I can dance to any genre that I want to INCLUDING ballet. I was at walmart the other day and my dad pointed out a random asian guy behind the counter. "Hey look, an asian! You seem to love them so much, go sing songs with him!"

Yeah. needless to say I don't share with them them any Kpop/Jpop songs that I like anymore. :(
Posted Image

#5 buu

buu

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

My family have just accepted it really. They wouldn't listen to it out of choice, but it doesn't bother them at all. I guess I'm quite lucky ^^
My mum doesn't mind, but I don't think she's seen the photobooks, which I think she'd be a bit more alarmed by o.o

If anything, I've found that friends/classmates react far more negatively.

#6 Rice-chan

Rice-chan

Life is like Fishfingers and Custard: Oddly Satisfying

• Senpai
  • 1720 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

My dad is okay with it all as long as he doesn't need to listen to it XD
and if he does hear it or sees Buono! he says something like: oh they are like the japanese K3 (wich is a dutch group consisting of 3 40-year olds making music for children) >.<

My sister claims to hate it all but she acutally has a H!O account and knows about every current H!P member name XD
(and she wants to learn some of the dances, and she makes random rankings XD )

sd1ppf.png

+ My Tumblr! + My Graphics Thread +

#7 °Cal.Mer.Sac

°Cal.Mer.Sac

Let's tanobaru!!!

• Senpai
  • 4455 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:15 PM

i think i remember a thread similar to this one... but ill post anyways ^^;

im asian... two oldest sisters were into chinese idols back in the 90s. 3rd and 4th sisters are into kpop and the youngest is a johnnys fangirl. black sheep is my brother who thinks everything asian is beneath him cause he was brainwashed into thinking that western society is the best. i like western society. i was born into it. its all i know.... but i dont believe its the best. i dont believe anyone is better than the other. things change and one dominates for awhile.
Posted Image

#8 Glasseyelashes

Glasseyelashes

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 10775 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

^ yeah, i remember too. i think i actually made a comment on it.

my family would be shocked by my collection. (what's a 33 year old doing with a collection of asian girl pictures?! is what they would probably say. my mother would only ask "sara, are you gay?") my sister doesn't care, she embraces it. i can talk to her with ease about morning musume. it's really nice. my parents only know that i'm pretty well into japanese culture, but that's about the extent about it. last night, i even brought up "KY" when describing my brother-in-law. he's not the cute KY eri was always known for, he's the incredibly annoying, wanna drive a nail through your eyeball, type of KY.

i hope that made some sense. i'm not feeling well at all, and i think my brain juices evaporated due to my high fever. ^^;

#9 Luigi ★

Luigi ★

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

My mom actually went to Finland with me to see Yossie & Rika, even though she dosent like the music, so she is completly ok with it, she doesn't
like me shopping online for merch, but only because she hates having her card information on the internet.

My dad is somewhat making fun of me, saying i need to get other interests and think i dont listen to any other music, since i never listen to music publicy in the house,
to not disturb anyone. I listen to very variated music, but i guess he don't get that. But he's also somewhat ok with it, I mean he just laughs a little when i buy merch, but
it's not like he dislike it.

:)

All of those who ask for items in my shop, i'm sorry, I haven't looked at it in forever. Also too lazy to delete, sorry again!

#10 Chimai

Chimai

Kamonegikkusu~

• Senpai
  • 4214 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

I started listening to J-Pop in 5th grade, starting with Utada Hikaru.

I honestly don't think my parents said anything about it then. At least, I don't remember it. My brother was accepting because he introduced me to Utada Hikaru's Simple & Clean, the first Utada song I heard. So when I started listening to her Japanese music he wasn't surprised.

At first I only listened to Utada when it came to J-pop, but then I discovered BoA and listened to her Japanese and Korean music, and then listened to a couple songs by various other artists as time went on. Then, last year in 8th grade during the fall I began listening to more YUI music and soon became a big fan. During this time between 5th and 8th grade, I slowly began removing English music from my library until EVERYTHING was J-Pop (and BoA's K-Pop). And most of it was only Utada, BoA and YUI with a couple Tamaki Nami and BONNIE PINK songs. Then later in 8th grade during the winter I discovered C-ute, and then the rest of H!P. I had heard of Morning Musume before that but never listened to them. After that I became much more familiar with the J-Pop community and now I listen to many artists!

I play my music on my computer's speakers and everything. It's become so normal for my family that they don't comment on it much. My mom still says things like "Why don't you listen to normal music?" and things like that, but not much more. She also says "You're probably going to study abroad in Japan during college!"

Although my brothers consider my music taste inferior, they don't mind it that much either.

It's just become normal for my whole family now, I guess! I've been listening to it for about 4 1/2 years, after all.

#11 Yayomo

Yayomo

2nd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

My mum thinks if I like it, I should listen to it. It's not like she doesn't care but she's more interested in my cosplaywork than in what kind of music I listen to XD
But she listens to me when I fangirl about the girls' hairstyles or their clothes and she patiently looks through all the pictures and videos I show her. I guess she thinks it's cute that I'm so into it. She doesn't mind me buying merch as long as I pay it myself.

#12 ninety9nights

ninety9nights

"I am Berry Kyuuto." - Sayumi

• Senpai
  • 3262 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

my mother would only ask "sara, are you gay?" my sister doesn't care, she embraces it. i can talk to her with ease about morning musume.

I have a similar experience with one of my classmates. He saw my computer's filled with H!P videos.
He then asked me: "Why are you watching this, are you gay?" (I'm male BTW.)
I answered: "What should I be watching then? Japanese boy groups?"
He lost the arguement. :lol:

Regarding my family, my brother doesn't care either. He even joins me sometimes whenever I watch concert DVDs.

My mother doesn't care about it. In fact, I think I'm free to do whatever I want. It doesn't affect my grades anyway so why not?
I think she knows of my interest or she might just be pretty oblivious about it.

Posted Image
[ avatar by me | signature by CROWN.佐久alice | youtube | blog ]

#13 YuzukoAria

YuzukoAria

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

I've been into Anime&manga since I was like 5, and I started listening to Kuraki Mai's songs and some ani-songs at like 9.

My parents don't mind at all, My mum likes AKB, she doesn't like H!P that much, don't know why..and my dad likes AKB's RIVER and Beginner..

anyway my parents don't mind me buying any type of merch, though my dad did think photos are a waste of money at first, but then my mum told him that she used to buy Yamaguchi Momoe's photos when she was young, so my dad got over it LOL

and my mum's chinese and my dad's american, they both like japanese culture and they said I can go to uni in Japan if I want to~so yeah my parents don't mind my hobby at all

#14 MayaChanShiDae

MayaChanShiDae

basically inactive

• Senpai
  • 2327 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

I.TALK. ABOUT. H!P. JPOP. AND. KPOP. ALL. OF. THE. TIME.

My mum and dad just smile and nod. Litterally whenever anything at al happens I HAVE to tell someone. I tell my friend Pearl on the phone and she loves Kpop too so I listen t her talk about Kpop ^^

They're okay with Posters and Albums, but they're really like wtf to Photosets(Which I don't have many of, I like PBs more) and they think single CDs are a waste of Money because I have them in the album XD

They're bassically pretty cool with it. It's probaby because I got my Manga-obsession from my older Brother who's 19 *is 14*

My friends know me as the girl who is bassically Japanese. Damn me for only having South Asian and Chinese(My gran) blood D:<

*Eats shoes*

aikagifwtex.gif
♥ Morning Musume (Sayu, Eripon, Aichan, Haruna, Miki, Nine smile lineup) H!P (Maimai, Nakky, Captain) ♥
♥ Sig by xdrewdrawdrawn ♥ Avvie by Jamie ♥ Voted Greatest High-King and Milky Way fan 2011 ♥

♥ Kikka 
TwitterTumblr

#15 Shizuha Aki

Shizuha Aki

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

I bet my parents'd think I'm gay. They never actually hear what I'm listening to as I always wear headphones.

Posted Image

#16 airinokappa

airinokappa

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2884 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

My family absolutely love H!P.
I live with my grandparents and they have actually their own favourites in each groups XD
But sometimes they aren't really happy when I receive some packages, but they love the contain! Grandma love to looks at Airi PBs with me ^^;
My godfather can't stop tease me about my H!P fandom but he likes them too because it's thanks to him I discover H!P since 8 years old.
They also like the freshness of each group and the cuteness of them.
My dad keep pronouncing "Airi" as "Heidi" but all people on my family like her.

I'm really lucky to have a family who accept this :) Also friend, that I convert to Airi and H!P XD
But I'm sure they think I'm gay because of Airi everywhere, since I never told us when I have a boyfriend.

#17 Haruna Ogata (Real)

Haruna Ogata (Real)

Brown Eyes White Pig

• Senpai
  • 2540 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

My family likes H!P, and have even watched a few concerts with me... but they think I have the wrong favorites. D:

Like, my father tried to change my Shimizu Saki order from HSU into a Natsuyaki Miyabi order once.

"I sure did," Phil replied. "I slept good with you."

#18 pastil

pastil

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

^ LOL. I've never had that problem, quite the opposite in fact. Somehow it bothers me that my sister picked Saki as her favorite. She should just go back to Reina!

My parents have never been really fond of my fandom, but they accept it. I haven't given them any other choice lol. They sometimes playfully tease me about it but it's fine. What ticks them off the most would be the fact I spend most of my money on idol merchandise. But they don't mind me playing music loud through speakers and having posters in my room. My mother likes to show my room to all visitors "here we have some Japanese girls.." Not that it really bothers me, somehow I enjoy being the weirdo. :rolleyes: I get those "omg are you gay" questions too.

My little sister (15) has always liked the same things as I do. ^^; So yes, she likes idols too but she is more of a casual fan. She watches idol DVDs with me and learns dances etc. but she doesn't buy idol merch or follow the latest news. But I tell her the latest news anyway so why should she bother lol.

#19 Kaeseki

Kaeseki

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1476 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:53 AM

Well, I'm married and my wife is Korean. She likes my interest in K-Pop. We occasionally listen to Korean music and watch videos together. J-Pop is a different story. Yong was quite shocked to find me listening to H!P music and even more surprised when I told her I liked it a little more than K-Pop. I got the typical lecture about how Korea is better and watching no talent underage girls bouncing around is weird. Needless to say I have little Japanese music merchandise and what little I have is hidden away.

Our kids both think Korean and Japanese pop music is stupid. While I can take that from my son who has decent taste in music (Def Leppard, AC/DC, etc), I have no tolerance when my Bieber obsessed daughter busts on SNSD or Berryz Koubou :lol: !

#MAGA

#20 Kaori!-chan

Kaori!-chan

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 642 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:18 AM

My entire family knows that I listen to H!P and Jpop and Kpop, and I mean like my ENTIRE family, grandparents encluded (I have a slight tendency of playing it over speakers more often then I do over head phones). They're okay with, but they don't listen to it..... by choice. My momis totally into Asian culture and thinks that its cool that I listen to it more often than I do western music. And over half my family is Asian, japanese to be specific, so I think that might play a small factor in it XD. Also they know that I love listening to music that I can dance to.... Which is most of H!P music, and they know it's impossible to make me stop listening to music that fits into that category, so I don't think that they would say any thing even if they had some thing against it.

My friends know that I listen to Jpop and Kpop too, they don't have a problem with it, besides the fact that they don't under stand, but most of the time they have me translate for them, which I have no problem doing. They do how ever kinda make fun of me when I have my fan girl moments, my boyfriends the worst out of all of them, but they're all just joking. They actually think its kinda funny that I stare at the girls from time to time, again my boyfriend thinks it the funniest.
6th generation FOVERVER! <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users