• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#1 dev-null

dev-null

#1 Kinoshita Haruna Supporter

• Senpai
  • 2130 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

OK, it is time for a dedicated thread for questions (and answers) about "oshimen" and also where you can tell the world about your oshimen and what you love about her, why did you choose her in first place, and so on. I'll try to compile a full FAQ into this first post here once we have collected enough information/ answers. Feel free to contribute or ask. :whistle:
---

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is an oshimen?

A: Oshimen is a term that is derived from a combination of two terms. First “oshi" (推し) which means to give your support and second a short form of the English word “member”. Hence when someone refers to their oshimen (推しメン), it would be the member that they would give their fullest support.

(to be continued)

Edited by dev-null, 20 April 2011 - 09:40 AM.

signature3.png

#2 dev-null

dev-null

• Senpai
  • 2130 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

Since there's a specific ethic or code about choosing oshimen and keeping them (switching your oshimen is bad) I got a few questions on my own:

Q: My oshimen graduated last year. Since she's no longer a member at all, can I choose a new oshimen? Or would that be impolite for either of the both girls (old and new oshimen)?

Q: Since all the "48" groups are closely related (especially when girls of one group appear in singles of the other group) can one have an oshimen in each of the four groups? But for example when one would have Maeda Atsuko as AKB48 oshimen, Matsui Rena as SKE48 oshimen and Yamamoto Sayaka as NMB48 oshimen then it would be quite a oshimen excess with the next AKB48 single, or? :)

Q: On a related note: can you have an oshimen in AKB and in some other non-related group (say from Hello Project) or would this also be impolite in some way?

</trying to master the oshimen code> :w00t:

signature3.png

#3 Erin.

Erin.

Graduated Member

• Senpai
  • 3055 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:24 PM

Haha, there isn't some written code, is there? I don't think you have to be so strict on yourself. :lol:
To answer in random order, I think it's all right to have an oshimen from AKB48 and from H!P (I'm like this myself with Wasamin and Aichan). But some forums/threads are less open to discussion of liking both groups of idols (like, if AKB is mentioned in an MM thread, it often leads to an arguement, but not always). The AKB threads on this site tend to be more chill about it though, because most people also like H!P.

And it would likely be all right to have another oshimen since yours graduated last year. For some people this is a touchy subject, but it really isn't as if you are replacing one girl with another, rather that another girl has now caught your attention and you want to support her. I'm sure your first oshimen would be all right with this, because they are/were all members of the same group and are/were possibly good friends. Maybe don't go bragging about it, you know, but it should be all right since your first oshimen graduated and you aren't just flip flopping.

And a fair number of people have an oshimen in each ---48 group, so go for it! It could get a little excessive :lol: , but it's fine to spread the love around. :good:

Just my own input on Wasamin: she is my oshimen because she has a ridiculously amazing voice, is a cute little elf with wonky eyes, and has a sweet and genuine personality. :D

#4 Blu-Cherri

Blu-Cherri

Selfish shooting star, Make my wish come true

• Senpai
  • 5673 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

Well when erena graduated she asked fans to keep her as their oshimen but you can still have an oshi within the group. Generally 'rules' about fandoms are consistent through all the groups and I've spoken to some H!P wotas and they're perfectly happy to say who their current MM fav is and their OG favourite but then one of those was their 'true oshi' as it were, so I would assume the situation is the same here :good:
It seemed to be the same with picking oshis for other groups but that your top oshi is just the 1 girl. If that makes any sense. I'll use myself as an example

My overall akbske everything favourite is Shiichan but in SKE my oshi is Haruka Ono. Then nmb oshi is currently nana but that may change as time goes on(she was my oshi in SI*NA too :P) and SDN48 is kyururun. Erena is my graduate oshi :)
I have all these oshis but shiichan would still come above all of them for me. (my H!P example was with sayu, which I'd told them about earlier, and momo and they just lol'd when I said momo and starting doing impressions so was all very lighthearted)

I didn't get a chance to ask about whether the wotas liked other groups outside of H!P really, I didn't want to cause any issues ^^". But one H!P fan gave me an erepyon photo when I said I liked her and was all smiley and happy about it so there were no hard feelings of me saying sayu was my MM oshi etc so I think it's ok

Maybe someone with akb wota experiences would be able to answer even better though.

E67uDCX.jpg?1

#5 Malachite

Malachite

5th gen member

• Uploader
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

I've been a huge fan of my oshimen since long before she was in AKB48 and I'll continue to be her fan way in the future when she's a successful author.

I can't promise to continue being a fan of AKB48 when she graduates but it all depends on who else is there and what I think of those girls. I definitely won't be as into them as I am right now though.

#6 Krusha

Krusha

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:51 AM

推しているメンバー

推しメン

推し

Oshimen is the #1 member who you support and follow.

There's a definite divide between this member, and everybody else. What a lot of Western or rather overseas (non-japanese) idol fans tend to do, which is wrong, is to think oshimen is exactly the same as favorite and then pluralize it and go "Oh my oshimens are ......" or devalues the importance of the word oshimen and what that means in regards to the specific idol in question. It's of course fine to like a lot of girls, even liking everybody - and liking girls of different groups - be it related or non-related. But oshimen = your #1 girl.

If your oshimen graduates, it's fine to find a new oshimen in the group. And you can of course follow the ex-member in her activities, and support here there too if you want to.

If you have an oshimen and then later changes, you do what is known as "oshihen" (flip flopping as stated above). Now, this isn't liked very much by the girls - but if they don't know that you like them, it's less serious. However if you've sent fan letters to a member, telling her she's your oshi, and then later do the same with another girl, it's not so good. Same in events for example, where they get to know you. Them finding out you've changed disappoints them.

Another thing which is disliked even more than oshihen is DD. DD stands for Daredemo Daisuki, which can be translated as "Anybody is fine". So you like all the members of AKB48, great! Many does. But who is your oshimen? Don't have one? You're a DD, whether you like it or not. Can single out a couple girls who you only follow, as in; these are the girls I care about, don't care about the rest - still don't have an oshimen however? You're still a DD.

But again, don't worry. It's not supposed to bring you down or anything. It's just how it is. It's better to take your time and really get to know the girls and see who really stands out to you - who is your oshimen. When you have an oshimen you're no longer a DD.

If you're the kind of incurable person who loves every single girl the same, can follow Chikarina with equal amounts of enthusiasm the same way you could follow Kana, Kojiharu or Ranran, you're an MD: "Minna daisuki" - "I love everybody". But first requirement for qualifying for that again is having an oshimen.

Whatever the case is, wherever you fit in, just have fun and enjoy yourself. That's the most important.

As far as oshimen and different groups, yes you can have AKB oshi, SKE oshi, SDN oshi and NMB oshi (doesn't work however to say "My no3b oshimen is.... my Watarirouka Hashiritai oshimen is...", but you can say who you like the most from those units of course).

Also one can have oshimen from other groups outside of the 48 family naturally.

For me personally, outside the 48 family, it falls down to a level under "oshimen" though, and becomes a matter of "favorite girl" only, and not "oshimen" anymore, due to how much more I follow the 48 girls as opposed to others.

#7 Malachite

Malachite

5th gen member

• Uploader
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:17 AM

^ Good post. It's important that people realise the difference between "favourite girl" and a stronger word like "oshimen".

The one thing I might disagree with slightly is where you said that it's okay to have other oshimen(s?) in other groups but this might have something to do with me finding the idea of me liking any other girl as much as my one true oshimen absurd. Maybe it's possible for others. I feel like that is MD territory though, especially if those other girls are in the 48 family. It doesn't make someone less of a fan though, don't get me wrong. It's all good.

#8 TxBullnettle

TxBullnettle

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

When I initially became aware of AKB48, around the time Namida Surprise came out, I really liked Mariko-sama. She didn't have too much screen time in the PV, but she really stood out for some reason. Mariko-sama is still one of my favorites but I had an Oshihen. As I started identifying all the girls and tried to figure out what I liked about them, one member really started to stand out. I really started paying attention to Takamina when AKBingo did the guitar dokkiri, then her hazukashii restaurant, and after that her singing ability. Eventually I ended up watching the Shukan water battle, and my then Oshimen Mariko-sama was facing off against Takamina. I decided that if Mariko won she would remain my Oshimen, or if Takamina won I would Oshihen. Most everyone here probably knows the result, Takamina not only won but she won with...flair.

That's how I ended up doing an Oshihen. :rolleyes:

#9 Krusha

Krusha

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

Malachite,

The "oshimen in different groups" thing:

It will have to be up to each and everybody to decide - but as far as "rules" are concerned, yes you can have an oshimen per unique main group (AKB, SKE, Momoiro, Idoling, etc. - not sub groups).

But: In many cases even if you were to compare say AKB oshi, SKE oshi, NMB oshi etc. you will find that of those girls again, there's one girl who is above all others. So that really is your main oshimen (or "true oshimen" if you may).

:)

#10 Malachite

Malachite

5th gen member

• Uploader
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

^ Agreed. It's all semantics really.

I have a "favourite member" in all those other groups and I suppose I could call them "oshimen" in relation to everyone else in those particular groups. It's just that the gap between girls like Rena or Yazappai and my one true AKB oshimen, Suuchan, is so wide that I feel like I need a new word for her.

推しメンの推しメン?大推しメン?チョー推しメン? ┐('~`;)┌

#11 熊⋆ichapyon×

熊⋆ichapyon×

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 4331 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:36 PM

^
New word?

I've seen the word "Kamioshi" on STAGE48. :P

❝ j-trance
Posted Image
〖 voted greatest fan of kumai yurina & nagasawa wakana 2011 ♥ 〗 ××× set made by S-N-I-P-E-R

#12 Malachite

Malachite

5th gen member

• Uploader
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:22 AM

^ I've seen that word used in Japanese on 2ch and Youtube but I didn't know it had that meaning.

#13 Erin.

Erin.

Graduated Member

• Senpai
  • 3055 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:04 AM

Um, maybe this is a dumb question, but do people generally support the team that their oshi is part of? Do most people even pick a team to support?
Like, my oshimen is a member of Team A, so would I be obliged to support Team A over K and B?

#14 Malachite

Malachite

5th gen member

• Uploader
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

I kind of do support Team B more than the other teams but only because my oshimen is there. I'm more likely to buy a Team B version of something and watch their stages more often. I wouldn't say you're obliged to support the entire team though. You could have an oshimen in Team B but prefer Team A overall with the exception of that one member. If you're like me then you'll end up supporting your oshimen's team inadvertently. I do it purely because my oshimen is there and not out of brand loyalty.

#15 Noriega

Noriega

モデル大好き

• Senpai
  • 2961 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

Does your oshimen have to be the number 1 girl you like/crush on in that group? I'm in the "final" stages of picking an oshi but its extremely hard for me.

One member is the most interesting idol I ever seen. Just amazing, Oshima Yuko.
One member is the sole reason I became an AKB fan. Number 1 person I would want as a sister, Takahashi Minami.
One member who's face is exactly my type. Compared to most of the members I really like, she is the only one that isn't a Senbatsu member. I feel she needs to be supported compared to others. Maeda Ami.

I'm in a bind. Can someone give me advice on how to best choose an oshi in this situation.
I can't think who I like the most. I know one needs to be supported more than others, but its hard.
And if I pick an oshi, can I still claim that I like other members as much as my oshi?
And, would my oshi be for the entire idol world or just that group?

EDIT: ok so I'm between my most important member to me, takamina. And the member in my personal best 5 that isn't a Senbatsu member, Maeda Ami. Which? Help please..
I don't want to "betray" my most important member, but I feel Maeda needs my support more. Hmm...

#16 Undirrast

Undirrast

2nd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:36 AM

Normally yes, oshimen is the one you want to support the most (like you'll definitely vote for her in the senbatsu). But there's nothing wrong as a DD anyway.
Majisuka Gakuen Summary Site - Summary with pictures for episodes of Majisuka Gakuen 2.
Majisuka Gakuen 2 Casts - Complete translation from Majisuka Gakuen 2 Official Homepage.
Nakayan Quest - Nakayan Quests in English! Starting from Lv. 18.

#17 gryzze

gryzze

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1443 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

@drznoriega: I don't know how long you've been a fan but it took me quite some time to find my definite oshimen.

And that member wasn't even one of my initial favorites.

So maybe give it some more time and get to know the members even better? :)

#18 Noriega

Noriega

モデル大好き

• Senpai
  • 2961 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:41 AM

DD is frown upon with the members. I rather be a MD than a DD. I love all the girls, really.

EDIT: I Been a fan since a month before katyusha came out. Maybe I will take ur advice and give it time

#19 Blu-Cherri

Blu-Cherri

Selfish shooting star, Make my wish come true

• Senpai
  • 5673 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

For me, when I found my oshimen that was it, I found her.
I'd previously listed Erena as my oshi but a lot of my Erena feelings changed because she changed as she grew and I changed I guess I grew away from her.(I 'switched' from her to Shiichan before she graduated and at the time I felt bad, I actually listed them both as my top for a while because of my feelings of loyalty to Erena but really Shiichan had won me over)
My feelings with Shiichan are so much more than I've ever had with an idol before. Might not be like this for everyone but maybe you haven't quite found her yet, or maybe you just need to see more of the 2 you're picking between and learn more about them.
Basically, don't fret over it too much. If you can't pick just don't for now, when you chose your oshimen it should be a girl you know you can stick with. Being a DD is often seen as bad by the girls, but it's a lot better than being an oshihen(someone that changes their oshimen).

I like everyone but have a definite oshi so I'm MD

E67uDCX.jpg?1

#20 dev-null

dev-null

• Senpai
  • 2130 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

I'd previously listed Erena as my oshi but
it's a lot better than being an oshihen(someone that changes their oshimen).
I like everyone but have a definite oshi so I'm MD

You're contradicting yourself a bit here. :blink: (Not judging, just pointing out! ;) )

Anyway... I thought Rina is your oshimen with all that Rina in your avatar and signature. :)

signature3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users