• Please log in to reply
1598 replies to this topic

#1561 Tony Oguri

Tony Oguri

Connoisseur of Fine Ladies

• Senpai
  • 2385 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

Here's a couple interesting things from yesterday and today...

At yesterday's TEPCO press conference there were the 3 main news sources and 2 independents. Of course the main sources towed the line, but the independents grilled the panel with hard-hitting questions. At today's press conference, the independents were not allowed back in.

Also from yesterday, Singapore refused delivery of a shipment of radioactive cabbages from Hyogo prefecture. Hyogo is a little west of Osaka.

A professor from Kyoto University says about 60% of Japan is now facing at least some level of contamination from the radiation.

ym.jpg

World's greatest and #1 fan of Oguri Yui, Yahagi Moeka, and Chiba Erii.

#1562 XiuChen_2199

XiuChen_2199

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1096 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

Oh, lovely yet sad

Posted Image

#1563 DaiShuryou

DaiShuryou

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1293 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

^
Can someone save this video and upload it somewhere else?
It's again blocked for Germany...
Posted Image

#1564 xingwa

xingwa

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

Another earthquake hit at the same region. Japan scale of 6.

reported on live stream
NHK World

#1565 sswishbone

sswishbone

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 6554 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Guys some bad news, Miyagi has just had another aftershock, but a big one, around 7.3

http://www.jma.go.jp...391-072332.html

it gets worse, there is a tsunami warning, 1 metre high possibility and expected to hit Sendai again, Fukushima in four minutes

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/tsunami/

#1566 Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

Mononofu 4 Life

• Senpai
  • 2108 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

ohmyohmyohmyohmy...

Posted Image

Signature made by MayaChanShiDae

#1567 DaiShuryou

DaiShuryou

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1293 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

A endless nightmare...
Posted Image

#1568 Angelia

Angelia

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

Please, no.. What if this'll go on forever? I can't stand this anymore.

#1569 D3r1k

D3r1k

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

it's so sad and scary that it's still happening in Japan :sob:
My dream group: Mitsui Aika/Sudou Maasa/Kago Ai/Goto Maki/Okada Yui/Linlin/Konno Asami/Kanna Arihara/Nakazawa Yuko/Miyoshi Erika
*Sigh* Only TWO people still in H!P :sob:

#1570 micchipyon☆

micchipyon☆

おつかれいな ~ ♡

• Senpai
  • 4081 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

This is soo bad..

I just heard from the news that there is earthquakes now in Tokyo, and the tsunami is going to hit there soon.. ;_;

☆ set by Apple Cake // 田中れいな、永遠に 愛する♥ ☆

Posted Image

twitter × personal tumblr × youtube × yuko fantumblr
《voted as tanaka reina's & ogawa saki's greatest fan 2O11》

#1571 mikari

mikari

.1/3 of miya's #1 fan ♥.//caramel's polar bear

• Senpai
  • 6506 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:18 PM

that explains why kanna was asking people if they were alright x_x

Posted Image
check out ♥: my blog|gallery|graphics boutique|akb graphics|youtube|teen top
fanblog: tomocawaii| fanpages:Kanon|Miya|Nanami|Sengoku|Dayeon//siggie by me, avvie by bonbon~ ♥

#1572 sswishbone

sswishbone

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 6554 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

Tsunami warning's rescinded

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/tsunami/

#1573 CathyRingo

CathyRingo

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

They really don't deserve any more suffering or worry.. it's not fair.
Hope this all goes away, Stay strong Japan!!!
You can do it!

It makes me cry thinking of what people must be going through. :sob:

#1574 enfo

enfo

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

Happy the tsunami warning has been lifted, doesn't seem to have affected the Nuclear plants, it's still sad they keep having to go through aftershock after aftershock, hope everything will be alright !

#1575 airinokappa

airinokappa

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2884 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:30 PM

My project had to stop this week, but we kept going because now we are in partnership with another highschool.

Together, for the moment, we have 4675€ which mean 554268yen. It's enormous. We have already sent more than 1,000 blankets and rice, pasta, so much clothes ... Without bragging, I'm very proud to have launched this project, it seems that everyone feels involved here and it makes me happy. The other school is also very "productive" and it was a good idea to be partner with them. Now, we contacted the mayors of our cities to smaller collects. I should take photos of it. Even a month already pass, people are still their for help us. Some of them give us their pocket money, that their parents give, and some parents help us by making collect of clothes and money in their companies.

#1576 sswishbone

sswishbone

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 6554 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

^ that's an awesome thing to have done, you go! :good:

#1577 suterinu

suterinu

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:08 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qq6slyZUes&feature=share
Oh, lovely yet sad

What is this song?

My second album comes out December 6th.  So excited!  Woo!!!

#1578 BlackKnight

BlackKnight

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:34 AM

Hi everybody,

It take time to get ready but here it is.

I launch my own fund raising to support the relief effort through the sale of applications developed for iPhone and iPad, much of the money will be donating to the Japanese Red Cross.

Some apps will have a special discount for Educational Institutions.

App Store

Best regard

#1579 kirika☆

kirika☆

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2294 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

Was there a big aftershock in Sendai? I heard it was 7.1..

#1580 zeroyon

zeroyon

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1376 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

Ugh.. the moment I saw that there was recently a 7.1 earthquake near the Sendai coast, and its depth was 49 km, I immediately thought there will be a moderate amount of shaking near Sendai, a very small (essentially non-damaging) tsunami, few will be injured..... but the media and wall street will panic and go into a fear-mongering frenzy. Look what happened.

Two things I should point out:
- A magnitude 7.1 earthquake is almost 1000 times less powerful than a magnitude 9.0 earthquake. The seismic moment magnitude scale is logarithmic, in that 8.0 is 10^1.5 ≈ 32 times more powerful than 7.0, and 9.0 is 10^3 = 1000 more powerful. Most people don't understand this and like to think on a linear scale "7.1 is only 1.9 away from 9.0 OMG!!!", they should really do away with the moment magnitude scale, IMO.
- Large tsunamis can only be generated by megathrust subduction zone earthquakes, which force a large mass of seabed up, displacing the water above it. These types of earthquakes are almost always in the 8.7-9.3 magnitude area. Tsunamis can be generated by asteroid impacts or a HUUUGE landslide into the sea, but that is a different scenario.

The reason the 1995 Kobe quake was so damaging though at such a low magnitude (6.8) is because of the shallow depth of that earthquake (9.94 mi). Shallow depth means higher ground acceleration (it was 0.8G for Kobe!), which also means higher building lateral displacement. Take a look at this video and see how far the building moves:

It isn't the "shaking" that does most damage to buildings, it is the huge distance that they move during shallow or megapowerful earthquakes that makes building supports fail.

The fault rupture for that earthquake spread so that it ruptured directly below Kobe, too....

....Sorry to inject this earthquake physics lesson into this thread... ^^;;;;

If you are living in Tokyo and want to be scared of something though, this is what you should be scared of:
http://www.bioedonli...ws.cfm?art=1890
http://earth.usc.edu..._Kanto_full.pdf
The article, from 2005, says that the fault below tokyo is 4km to 26 km below the surface, instead of the 20km to 40km that was estimated before when modern building codes were drawn up for Tokyo.
When I saw that article and research back in 2005, it went largely under-reported.... and hasn't been reported on since. I've always wondered why... :(
....now add that article to this: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...fault-line.html
Custom programmable LED pegboard. If anyone wants to make a similar thing, PM me and I will help you out =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users