Photo

Internet Connection Speed Issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#61 vicemonitor

vicemonitor

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 05:44 PM

Your stats have updated a lot since I last looked at them. Especially the upload. :good:
UP/DL Ratio 2.00 [2170/1083]mb

In that case, I suggest sending haku a PM. When all else fails, we bring him in as a consultant. :lol:

Ok, thank you so much!

#62 Camui

Camui

Addicted To Hitomi

• Dai-Senpai
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:56 PM

You're welcome, please keep us updated and let us know if he is able to help you out. :good:

#63 wankyler

wankyler

~氷姫リヂアのマニアック~

• Kouhai
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:00 PM

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2005 with default settings. I also turned on windows firewall. Is this all too much? I mean, does this all slows down my connection speed?
Posted Image

#64 Camui

Camui

Addicted To Hitomi

• Dai-Senpai
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:12 PM

Do you have a router as well?

#65 wankyler

wankyler

~氷姫リヂアのマニアック~

• Kouhai
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

No I don't.
Posted Image

#66 Camui

Camui

Addicted To Hitomi

• Dai-Senpai
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:37 PM

Ok, I checked and NIS has Norton Personal Firewall. So you probably have both running, when you only need one. So you need to keep one and disable the other. Then whichever one you choose to keep, you need to configure it properly to work with certain programs(such a bittorent, online computer games, messengers, etc.).

I use Norton System Works, although I've never used NIS. So I'm not sure how hard or easy it would be to configure NPF. I have also not used the windows firewall on our computers much. So I won't be much help configuring your firewall, whichever you choose to use. We have a router, so that's our firewall that I use.

I talked to nyekobug though and he says he uses NIS is pretty easy to configure. So he'll help you on that, if that's the one you decide you want to use. :good:

#67 wankyler

wankyler

~氷姫リヂアのマニアック~

• Kouhai
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:11 AM

Thanks Camui! I guess I'LL be using Norton. I wonder if I can get nyekobug to help me....... :blink:
Posted Image

#68 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:08 AM

Hehe, alrightie then - since you're using Norton Internet Security (what's on my other laptop) I should be able to give you a good walkthrough on setting up bittorrent on your system. :]

1) Right click the norton taskbar icon in your tray (it's the blue-green world), and select Norton Internet Security.

2) Click on "Personal Firewall" from the list.

3) Click on the "Configure" button that appears on the right side

4) Click the programs tab

5) If your bittorrent client is in the list (i.e. ABC, Azureus, Bitcomet), make sure that the entry under the Internet Access column is set to "Permit All".

6) If your bittorrent client is NOT in the list, click on "Add", look for the executable for your bittorrent client (for example c:\program files\bitcomet\bitcomet.exe). Select it, and then in the Program Control window that pops up, select "Permit".

If you wanna be really psycho you can configure every aspect of the communication for each program, but it's not worth it unless you really wanna be crazy like me :blink:

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#69 Spades

Spades

JAV

• Senpai
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:54 PM

whenever i downloadin from bitcomet my comp becomes slow n i jus reformated my comp n there not that much stuff on my comp

Posted Image

my explorer.exe is never that high, i have nuttin runnin, there no spyware, no virus, nuttin

FIX

#70 Santa-san

Santa-san

圣诞老人

• Senpai
  • 1254 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:36 AM

What hardware have you got? Have you got enough ram, for example? Torrent programs seem to be very harddrive intensive, and take up alot of resources. You need at least 500RAM if you are planning to do anything else while you're downloading. And the amount of torrents you are dowloading at the same time is a factor too. :blush:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#71 Spades

Spades

JAV

• Senpai
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:32 PM

does Linksys have a built in firewall??

#72 yggg

yggg

Devourer of Spam

• Dai-Senpai
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:58 PM

added prev linksys router stuff here.. nyeko shud be able to help u
ZONE is only good at one thing... that is, making music :)

#73 Spades

Spades

JAV

• Senpai
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:40 AM

im dl http://tracker.hello...ils.php?id=2235 n there's 26 seeder(s), 142 leecher(s) but im only gettin 7 seeders / 60 leechers :blush:

i have

window X P sp2 firewall ( but turn off )
ZoneAlarm
Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router with 4-port switch BEFSR41 ver 3.0
BitComet .059

shld i use a diff BT?

#74 Camui

Camui

Addicted To Hitomi

• Dai-Senpai
  • 584 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:31 AM

Your router should already have a firewall so that means you have two running. I'll make sure nyeko notices this to help you out.

#75 Spades

Spades

JAV

• Senpai
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:30 PM

nyekobug, how do i turn off the firewall in linksys

#76 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:17 PM

Hey-

Sorry for my lack of speedy response...Work and Civ3 has sucked my life down the proverbial drain...

whenever i downloadin from bitcomet my comp becomes slow n i jus reformated my comp n there not that much stuff on my comp

Is that fixed yet? It doesn't look like Bitcomet is using much CPU from what you're showing, but that could be masked by the fact that drive access is what's causing your system to slow down. Was it *only* Bitcomet that is slow, or is everything else slow as well? Are all of your drivers properly installed? Is your drive in PIO mode? Inquiring minds wanna know! Was it you who was asking about HDs making weird grinding noises? (too lazy to check other threads...) - if so your HD may be on it's way out (thereby making the system SEEM "slow" because BT accesses the HD alot)

Yes, it does have one. You will have to open a port on your firewall to allow bitcomet to connect to things. Check your peer listing (on the bottom of the Bitcomet window there should be a "Peer" option - if it's all listing as "Local" - you are having problems with people connecting to you). To configure your firewall, go to http://(your router's IP, for example 192.168.1.1), and look around - there should be a tab for configuring port forwarding.

im dl http://tracker.hello...ils.php?id=2235 n there's 26 seeder(s), 142 leecher(s) but im only gettin 7 seeders / 60 leechers 

i have

ZoneAlarm
BitComet .059

shld i use a diff BT?

If what I'm thinking is true (your linksys doesn't have an open port) then no, switching BTs won't help...

(If you have AIM/MSN you can add me, check my profile- I should be on tonight (8p/PST) if you still have problems- I can try to help there. Unless it's a hardware problem like Camui's Lite-On DVD Burner :ph34r:

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#77 Spades

Spades

JAV

• Senpai
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:07 AM

Hey-

Sorry for my lack of speedy response...Work and Civ3 has sucked my life down the proverbial drain...

Is that fixed yet? It doesn't look like Bitcomet is using much CPU from what you're showing, but that could be masked by the fact that drive access is what's causing your system to slow down. Was it *only* Bitcomet that is slow, or is everything else slow as well? Are all of your drivers properly installed? Is your drive in PIO mode? Inquiring minds wanna know! Was it you who was asking about HDs making weird grinding noises? (too lazy to check other threads...) - if so your HD may be on it's way out (thereby making the system SEEM "slow" because BT accesses the HD alot)

Yes, it does have one. You will have to open a port on your firewall to allow bitcomet to connect to things. Check your peer listing (on the bottom of the Bitcomet window there should be a "Peer" option - if it's all listing as "Local" - you are having problems with people connecting to you). To configure your firewall, go to http://(your router's IP, for example 192.168.1.1), and look around - there should be a tab for configuring port forwarding.

im dl http://tracker.hello...ils.php?id=2235 n there's 26 seeder(s), 142 leecher(s) but im only gettin 7 seeders / 60 leechers�

i have

ZoneAlarm
BitComet .059

shld i use a diff BT?

If what I'm thinking is true (your linksys doesn't have an open port) then no, switching BTs won't help...

(If you have AIM/MSN you can add me, check my profile- I should be on tonight (8p/PST) if you still have problems- I can try to help there. Unless it's a hardware problem like Camui's Lite-On DVD Burner :unsure:

-nyekobug

my slowin prob its fix, some how my hd was on pio mode, but jus switch it DMA n boom it works

goin try the port thing, i addrd u to my msn

#78 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:00 AM

my slowin prob its fix, some how my hd was on pio mode, but jus switch it DMA n boom it works

goin try the port thing, i addrd u to my msn

Heh, I guessed right ^___^. I hope your drive isn't making that grinding sound anymore o.O (I found it in the how much space is left on your computer thread).

Anyway, did the port thing work? I was on MSN all night last night, but I didn't see you online...

-nyekobug

#79 Spades

Spades

JAV

• Senpai
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:43 PM

my hd still makes that grindin nosie

i need help doin the port thing