Photo

Internet Connection Speed Issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#21 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:43 AM

Out of curiosity, is your symptom like your connections stays, but new connections are very hard to make? As in your BT is still going, but new connections (like web browsing) needs to refresh 3-4x for it to work?

If so, I get the same prob every 3-4 wks too?

Yes, that's exactly it, though recently, it's degenerated down to the point of complete and utter loss of connectivity via everything else except the BT computer (which had established the connections previously). The thing that REALLY bugs me is the fact that I cannot connect to the router to reset itself, or to anything that's connected directly to the router (I'd get a bigger switch, but everything on the switch save the connection to the router is Gigabit, and I'd rather not add in a slower protocol (100/T) on the same switch. I've set my MTU to 1500, and I'll see if that really helps. I'll post back in a week or so with my findings (seeing as how now it dies every 2-4 days).

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#22 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:10 PM

are you using a 54g /gs? With official firmware or the alchemy firmware? Well, look forward to hearing how you get on, as I may apply the same fix

#23 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 07:53 AM

Heya agb-

Sorry for the late reply - 54g (no speedbooster), official firmware. Of course, the MTU=1500 thing did absolutely NOTHING (if you watch the Simpsons, think of the Radioactive Man and Fallout Boy movie episode, where they tie Reineer Wolfcastle to the post and dump acid down a hallway, and he's like *puts on goggles* - THESE GOGGLES...ZEY DO NOOOOTHING)

Okay, I'm considering going to the Alchemy firmware - is that a worthy thing to try?

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#24 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 12:47 AM

alchemy is pretty good firmware. Get the free version from TheIndividual. At the very least, it gives more option in terms of setting packet priority.

#25 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:11 AM

Heya agb-

Scratch that, I called Linksys, and apparently their equipment has a three year manufacturer's warranty o___O. I found this out because the guy I spoke to was like "well looks like your router is defective sir...we'll send you a new one".

So I'm going to try a new router to see if it clears up (new hardware rev I believe, I'm running a 54G-v1).

-nyekobug

#26 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:37 PM

Seems that all the v1's have trouble in the various product lines ^_^

Good luck, hope it gets better ^_^

#27 Amarach

Amarach

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:50 AM

I really need some help... major help. I can't upload on IRC nor can I use BT. Would someone mind contacting me on MSN and letting me know if I have my router set up right? I have screenshots to send. I've tried doing it on my own with guides, but I have no idea what I am doing.

MSN: [email protected]
Posted Image
You can't run from death forever, but you can make the bastard work for it.
My Personal Site of my life in China
My Art at DeviantArt.Com

#28 ThousandSG

ThousandSG

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

I really need some help... major help. I can't upload on IRC nor can I use BT. Would someone mind contacting me on MSN and letting me know if I have my router set up right? I have screenshots to send. I've tried doing it on my own with guides, but I have no idea what I am doing.

MSN: [email protected]

ic, try posting it up here, anyways..if u had router problem...then u probably wouldn't be able to go on the net? ( u at home? someone else home? or ...somewhere else, when u post this)

#29 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:39 AM

Hm, this *sounds* like you need to set up port forwarding on your router. Have you logged in to you router's status page? Bittorrent uses a very specific port, based on the program that you're running. Bitcomet has a very obvious location to set up the listening port, Bittornado has one as well. Not sure about azureus. And I have no clue about IRC. But yeah, you'll need to:

a) set up a port forward on your linksys router to forward the bittorrent port(s) [defaults are 6881-6999] to the computer that's hosting bittorrent (you'll have to know your local IP)

:P set up windows Firewall to make an exception for bittorrent (I have no idea how to do this, since I turn off Windows Firewall and use another, slightly better, but not the best (Norton).

c) sacrifice two chickens to the bitgod of the internet, and be sure to dance nude in the pale moonlight, spinning once per port forward you set up...

If you need help for any of these (except c ^_^) I'm usually on AIM (you can guess my SN) so just ping me there.

-nyekobug

#30 wankyler

wankyler

~氷姫リヂアのマニアック~

• Kouhai
  • 615 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 02:52 AM

I got 60-66 people in my peer list, but my download rate is just 1-7 kb/s.

Can somebody tell me why & what to do?
Posted Image

#31 qx123

qx123

Five Tiger Generals

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1585 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

Its like that sometimes .... Be patient :omg:

#32 Ma Maladie

Ma Maladie

7th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:55 AM

Yes, it is as he says. Sometimes it just takes a long time for you to connect to everyone. Either that or you need no data from them or they just don't have much data you need circulating around.

You can 200 peers but with only .0004 of the file floating around, you won't get much.

It all depends. Either way, having patience is always ALWAYS a plus when it comes to bit torrent. (most of the time, unless its a network problem)

no siggy ok

#33 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:31 AM

Yeah, all I can chime in with is :

be patient...

and make sure your listening port is set up properly (what client do you use, and is this the only tracker you're using that has this problem?), and that your firewall has the proper ports opened.

Please check out the BT FAQ and the other thread that talks about download speeds

-nyekobug

#34 vicemonitor

vicemonitor

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:32 PM

i am downloading Hello+Morning+(050417+720x404)[1].avi
but i can only download with speed under 10kb..
can anyone tell me why? :lol:

#35 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:27 PM

There could be many factors.

First of all what client are you using ?

Prehaps its something to do with your firewall ?

Have you had this problem before ?

How many seeds are there ?

How much of your upload throttle are you using ?

What is your maximum upload and download speed ?

Are you running any other torrents at the moment ?

Are you downloading or uploading any other stuff while doing this ?

#36 vicemonitor

vicemonitor

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:52 PM

i don't know what is the different of seed and connecting with other computer?

#37 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:22 PM

A seed is someone who has the complete file. The more seeds there are the quicker it can be to get the file. However even without a seed it can still be possible to get a complete file if all the others have the complete file between them.

#38 vicemonitor

vicemonitor

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:56 PM

A seed is someone who has the complete file. The more seeds there are the quicker it can be to get the file. However even without a seed it can still be possible to get a complete file if all the others have the complete file between them.

i see,
i think my downloading speed is such slow is because there are only one seed and few ppl who are downloading

#39 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

That could well be it. Prehaps they have a slow upload speed or maybe they are uping a few files at the same time and there bandwidth is being spread out over many files.

#40 vicemonitor

vicemonitor

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:41 PM

sometimes, i connected with few seeds and users, but i just cannot receive anything...
this happens especially in the night