Photo

Internet Connection Speed Issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#1 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

Okay, ever since I started madly getting stuff from Hello!Online (and also using every last ounce of my bandwidth to be a seeder), I've noticed that I've had to kick (well not literally, just power cycle) my router on three occassions, all about a week apart. What happens is I am totally unable to surf the web, even if I have all torrents that I'm seeding (on another computer) turned down to a total of 20k/sec. Stopping the torrents doesn't seem to help either. Stopping the torrents and waiting for 10 minutes doesn't help either. The only thing that helps is a swift yank of the power cord for a few seconds.

Anyone else run into this? I've updated my linksys firmware to the latest, and that doesn't seem to help :\

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#2 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:17 PM

Happens to me as well... What I typically do is stop all my torrents. reboot the torrenting machine and things are ok again ... Haven't had to reboot the router for over a month now ...

#3 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:24 PM

Ah, even if I stopped the torrents (I don't think rebooting the machine would make a difference) - all the other computers on my network have problems accessing http:// which makes me suspect the router. *sigh*. On a side note though, I haven't had to reboot my server in a month :w00t: Just the router...

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#4 綺麗な氷

綺麗な氷

Druidist follower of the Goddess Kago

• Senpai
  • 3252 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:08 AM

I am getting disconnected from the internet every 5 minutes and i have cable internet.
what should i do?
please i really need you help.
no connection = no seeding from me :ph34r:
Mo ghrá thú, a Ai Kago
New signature coming probably never! :D

#5 yggg

yggg

Devourer of Spam

• Dai-Senpai
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:17 AM

eh...think u gotta ask ur ISP for help
ZONE is only good at one thing... that is, making music :)

#6 綺麗な氷

綺麗な氷

• Senpai
  • 3252 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:40 AM

I think this is more a problem with my own computer.
possibly a trojan or something >_______<
Mo ghrá thú, a Ai Kago

#7 Santa-san

Santa-san

圣诞老人

• Senpai
  • 1254 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:11 PM

Oh dear, I KNOW what you are talking about! This has happened to me, and at last 2 friends of mine!!! On one them I solved it by simply activating the built-in firewall X P has (he hadn't).
Does it pop up a little window saying something like "the computer will restart in 50 seconds" every five minutes without you doing anything? I have been meaning to ask some tech person what this really is myself, because I don?Lt know if it is a virus or a trojan. A full system virus scan won't find anything, when I?Lve tried

I?Lll say CHECK YOUR FIREWALL, and that it is working properly!!! But disconnect from internet while you are doing this!

Poor you. :( Hope it works out!

And to everyone else who read this: Does ANYONE know what this is??
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#8 Binaa2

Binaa2

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:26 PM

Oh dear, I KNOW what you are talking about! This has happened to me, and at last 2 friends of mine!!! On one them I solved it by simply activating the built-in firewall X P has (he hadn't).
Does it pop up a little window saying something like "the computer will restart in 50 seconds" every five minutes without you doing anything? I have been meaning to ask some tech person what this really is myself, because I don?Lt know if it is a virus or a trojan. A full system virus scan won't find anything, when I?Lve tried

I?Lll say CHECK YOUR FIREWALL, and that it is working properly!!! But disconnect from internet while you are doing this!

Poor you.  :(  Hope it works out!

And to everyone else who read this: Does ANYONE know what this is??

That sounds like the "ms blast" worm. install SP2 or download the fix from microsoft.

To stop the computer from rebooting.
start->run type cmd
a cmd prompt window will open type: shutdown -a

that will abort the shutdown and give you time to get the fix installed.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 綺麗な氷

綺麗な氷

• Senpai
  • 3252 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:30 PM

Everyone has told me not to download SP2 because of "compatibility issues" so i left it alone. Is it really safe to install it?
Mo ghrá thú, a Ai Kago

#10 Binaa2

Binaa2

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

Everyone has told me not to download SP2 because of "compatibility issues" so i left it alone. Is it really safe to install it?

SP 2 is a bit slower. It does fix a lot of security holes though.
Probably introduces a few new ones also XD but it IS more secure.

I'd say stuff not compatible with SP2 you should probably not use anyway.
It's quite possible some stuff run _better_ on sp1 one cause of sp2 beeing slower.
I guess it depends on what system you run it on. If its a machine that barely
managed to run :(/sp1 then maybe sp2 isnt that good idea.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:22 PM

Another possibility, that's not Windows related XD

I had a friend who was getting disconnected from the net pretty regularly - it was because he had too many splitters on his cable line / not enough signal going into the cable modem. Is this something that happened only recently? And if it is, did you buy a new TV and split your cable to watch stuff on it? :(

-nyekobug

#12 綺麗な氷

綺麗な氷

• Senpai
  • 3252 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:23 PM

I don't watch stuff on the tv in my room.
why would i when i have hello project? :(
Mo ghrá thú, a Ai Kago

#13 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:27 PM

I don't watch stuff on the tv in my room.
why would i when i have hello project? 

Haha, good point. Or in my case, I use my TV to watch Hello!Project stuff (video server XD). But I'm just throwing another possibility out. Have you tried installing SP2 like the previous people were suggesting, and if so, did it fix your problem? :(

-nyekobug

#14 綺麗な氷

綺麗な氷

• Senpai
  • 3252 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:55 PM

for some reason the cable hasn't discconnected in awhile.
i changed some settings and it seems to be working a bit better.
wish me luck :(
Posted Image
i checked the last box on the bottom
Mo ghrá thú, a Ai Kago

#15 Santa-san

Santa-san

圣诞老人

• Senpai
  • 1254 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:10 PM

We wish you luck! :(
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#16 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:31 AM

Same here, did u run a virus check, just to be sure?

It wouldn't hurt to call the cable company either. God knows how many calls I had to put in before they fixed my connection :roll:

#17 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:30 PM

*sigh*. Okay, I'm seriously thinking that this is a router issue. I'm at the point where I can't even ping my router once it's doing a massive amount of bittorrenting. Here's what I have set up:

Gaming (wireless) -----------\
PSP (wireless) -----------------\
Spare computer ----------------\
WOL port -------------------------\ (Wake on lan port for VidServ)
PS2 ---------------------------------\
Server -> Gigabit switch -> Wireless router -> Cable modem -> Internet
Video Server ------/
Primary Comp ---/

My server is set up with BitComet (or BitTornado, same problem), and if I have too many active connections, I can't configure, or even ping the wireless router. At all. From any computer. Even via internet. At some point, the server can't even connect back to the tracker, and then I disappear from the tracking page, though it's still chugging along with bittorrent.

Everything connected via the Gigabit switch seems to be fine (I can control both the server and video server from my primary computer, but if the connection needs to go through the wireless router (i.e. the WOL packets, PS2 online gaming, internet in general), everything just...fails. Stopping the server from bittorrenting doesn't seem to help at that point, I've waited for an hour and the wireless router doesn't seem to correct itself. The only way to right it is to reset the router :\. And I mean pull the plug kind of resetting.

At first I thought it was my ISP, but the more I look at it, the fact that I can't even configure the router from my internal network points to that as the weak link :\. Funny enough, I'm using a Linksys ;D

Has anyone else run into this problem? o_O.

-nyekobug

#18 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:12 AM

I have a 54GS and I've hit this problem on Netgear as well.

What happens to me is that when too many connections are open ~300-400. Basically everything cuts off until I reboot my bt box.

At least the 54GS does not overheat like the Netgear does

#19 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:16 AM

I have a 54GS and I've hit this problem on Netgear as well.

What happens to me is that when too many connections are open ~300-400. Basically everything cuts off until I reboot my bt box.

At least the 54GS does not overheat like the Netgear does

Actually, rebooting the BT box doesn't do anything to fix the problem. It's all in the router from what I can tell. I talked to a service rep at Linksys today, and he suggested that I manually set my MTU size to 1500. I'm going to try that tonight (had to kick the router in the power supply AGAIN) and if that's verified, I'll be quite the happy nyekobug ;D

-nyekobug

#20 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:30 AM

Out of curiosity, is your symptom like your connections stays, but new connections are very hard to make? As in your BT is still going, but new connections (like web browsing) needs to refresh 3-4x for it to work?

If so, I get the same prob every 3-4 wks too :lol: