Photo

Video Playback Issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
175 replies to this topic

#1 wankyler

wankyler

~氷姫リヂアのマニアック~

• Kouhai
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:19 PM

I downloaded H!P All Stars PV,it was and avi file. Was it encoded from a dvd format video? When I play it on BS Player, the sound is normal but the picture plays slower. Any suggestions? Should I get a new BS Player, where?
Help me please! :drool:
Posted Image

#2 jimbo the mighty

jimbo the mighty

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:53 PM

there can be a variety of reasons for this. I tried to play a video file earlier this morning and noticed the exact same thing. Then I discovered that another program I had running was using up all of the CPU cycles. I closed it, rebooted computer, and the file plays normally.

You could try another video player. I primarily use Windows Media Player, so when I have a file that it can't play right, I use VLC Player. You can get it at videolan.org. It will normally play any files you throw at it. Try it and see if you have any problems.

The other thing could be is that the file was encoded incorrectly or that it might be corrupted. It happens.

#3 wankyler

wankyler

~氷姫リヂアのマニアック~

• Kouhai
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:59 PM

Thanx! :drool:
Posted Image

#4 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:59 PM

Sometimes i get abit of grief with avis. So far i hav found that playing them through PowerDvD does the trick.

#5 Scepter

Scepter

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:08 PM

I've got two reasons in my mind: 1) get new codecs, I think if you download a codec pack called FFDShow that should do it. 2) As mentioned above: use PowerDvd or other player that supports MPEG2-type of files. DVDR:s work in it too.
Risa Recommends:http://www.denness.net/scrobblersig/username/Citadel/labelcolor/6666FF/trackcolor/000000/backgroundcolor/#EEF1F6/backgroundtransparent/0.png
Posted Image
Yo. Please support my band :)

#6 Chr0n0

Chr0n0

7th gen member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:07 PM

What is your computer spec?
I'm on p3-600Mhz system and I always have problems like that when playing MPEG-2/VOB files

What I do to fix this is just set BSPlayer thread priority slightly higher (you can do that in Task Manager, right click on BSPlayer process entry, and set the priority).
It will give me smooth performances, but screws up all my other utils (i.e: my BT client gets disconnected, IRC as well, etc... lol)

But hey, as long as I can still enjoy it :drool:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~人間玩具Chr0n0~
Founder & Scanner, DPG
Translator & Procastrinator, Mangaproject
Timer & Encoder & Tea Server, HPS

#7 chin0bo

chin0bo

5th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 02:15 AM

many reasons could be:
codecs : get the k lite mega codec pack which basically has every codec around.
your computer : like chrono said post your specs then we can go on from there.
if your problem is solved good for you ^_^

#8 wankyler

wankyler

~氷姫リヂアのマニアック~

• Kouhai
  • 615 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:51 AM

I'm on 728Mhz Intel Celeron Processor with 184 of RAM. My video memory is 8MB.
By the way, I saw a download for DirectX9.0c . Why is the file size so large?
Posted Image

#9 Chr0n0

Chr0n0

7th gen member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:56 AM

I'm on 728Mhz Intel Celeron Processor with 184 of RAM. My video memory is 8MB.
By the way, I saw a download for DirectX9.0c . Why is the file size so large?

O.o;

Celeron 733Mhz?
well, taking for granted that they say Celeron processor performs equally with Pentium chip of ~20% lower clockrate (so roughly a 733MHz Celeron would perform equally to a ~500MHz pentium)... not good (considering I have 512mb ram with my p3-600mhz and I still have to set priority higher to play MPEG2/VOB smoothly)

Have you tried bumping process priority higher for BSPlayer when playing?

No idea about DX9.0c, I dont bother updating to latest DX since I couldnt play any games that supports it anyways... ^_^
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~人間玩具Chr0n0~
Founder & Scanner, DPG
Translator & Procastrinator, Mangaproject
Timer & Encoder & Tea Server, HPS

#10 Santa-san

Santa-san

圣诞老人

• Senpai
  • 1254 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:41 AM

I use K-Lite Mega Codec Pack myself. My own experiences with what u are talking about, is that Avi files encoded with the latest DivX and, especially, the latest XviD codec seem to put a lot of calculating pressure on cpu. Try using older codecs maybe?
ALSO; If you install the NeroVision express pack for Nero Burning rom, this nero video Codec seem to play almost anything! When I had no other codecs on my computer, I found that mediaplayer still was able to play about 85% of all files! And it was using the Nero Video Decoder...
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#11 Sakura Momusu

Sakura Momusu

6th gen member

• Senpai
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:26 AM

I used K-Lite codec pack before...then I found ACE Mega Codec Pack. That installer had so many codecs I never even knew existed. :blink:

Currently...I have 5 players. Windows Media Player, DivX player, Media Player Classic, BS Player, and when all else fails...VLC. ^^

#12 jimjerjr

jimjerjr

7th gen member

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:53 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I am repeating something. I took a quick scan - but I could have easily missed something.

Anyway, I have found PowerDVD to be quite versatile and fast as a media player and it has a lot of built-in codecs. Also, the player that support the ATI cards - ATI Video Player or the ATI Multimedia Player are good. Not sure if they check for the existence of the ATI card.

There is a shareware program "GSpot" which will tell you all the codecs in your system, and will also read any video file and tell which ones are needed.

Finally, I recently got a copy of NERO with my DVD writer. It has a bunch of cool stuff, including a complete system info utilility. It also has a player, but it doesn't seem to be as fast as PowerDVD.

Again, sorry if I am duplicating previously posted material.

#13 hu5h

hu5h

ハッシュ

• Senpai
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:08 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum

Welcome to the forum ;D

On topic:
If you do have a slow computer, you should seriously consider using either mplayer or vlc, since all the mega-ultra-super-duper-codecpacks slow down your computer a lot. Mplayer and VLC are basically the same imo. They both have all the codecs preinstalled so you don't run anything you don't need. If there's a new codec released, simply download a new version of mplayer.

Mplayer is my favourite and I use it all the time even though I'm on a fast system. You don't have to actually install anything. Just unzip and run the movie/audio with the .exe file. It doesn't have a GUI yet though so some ppl might not like it.
mplayer: here

So in short: avoid codec packs, go mplayer!! :blush:

#14 jimjerjr

jimjerjr

7th gen member

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:36 PM

Don't mean to be rude, but I don't get it. Why would a codec package slow down my machine? The player only loads the ones that are needed, right? :blush:

Oh, and thanks for the welcome! :good:

#15 hu5h

hu5h

ハッシュ

• Senpai
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:03 PM

I don't know why exactly it slows down the system but I'm pretty syre that it does ;P . For example, if you install a codec pack containing divx, xvid, whatev, some more, you have to register them so that your media player, knows that there is a filter available. The process of running the filter is also somewhat of a nuisance as it consumes some of the cpu power.

They aren't meant to steal system resources when not running, but I thought that my system went much faster after I uninstalled ACE.

I don't think this is a problem for most users nowadays though... most comps can handle running some filters and still have a lot of juice to spare.

#16 jimjerjr

jimjerjr

7th gen member

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:31 PM

Aha ... so I think what you are saying is that a player with built-in codecs is more efficient than one that uses "filters." I think I can follow that. Thanks for your patience and excellent responses. I will check back now and then to see what more I can learn!

#17 TheDarkHaze

TheDarkHaze

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:52 PM

I will support, never EVER use codec packs, why? Because more then likely you'll end up with the term called codec soup. Codec soup is when you have multiple copies of the same codec either different versions or the same. You would think that's great right? NO! Instead they fight against each other and neither will work. People who have the mentality...hey let's install all these codecs...that'll fix it right? Will end up only screwing themselvs =/

My suggestion?

Uninstall every (yes EVERY) single codec you have installed, and then go down this list:

Get the Newest Divx http://www.divx.com
Get the Newest Xvid http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml get the latest stable
Get the newest ffdshow (some might say getting ffdshow means you don't need divx and xvid, however that's somewhat true, divx sure you can drop, but it's nice to be safe, xvid on the other hand has some weird...quirks at times :wub:) http://sourceforge.n...rojects/ffdshow click on the alpha download
Get the newest Ogg/Vorbis coded http://tobias.everwicked.com/oggds.htm
and finally get the newest Matroska http://packs.matroska.org/

You'll also want to update windows, microsoft has it's own codecs which you can get through updating media player.

Now with all your codecs done, get either BSplayer (newest) or mplayerc (newest)

http://www.bsplayer.org/
http://sourceforge.n...lease_id=227046 <-- Newest mplayerc currently.

I wish you luck =)
The Haze is here

#18 ZONElover

ZONElover

Always my goddess !!!!

• Dai-Senpai
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:34 PM

wankyler --> i have the same situation as you... you should try the codecs ppl said... i have the ACEM mega codecs and K lite pack and also PowerDVD... the K-Lte and BS PLayer was enough to play this video.... if not maybe you should close eveything to play it coz your ram is not so good......

guys --> even with this i still can play some videos MPEG 3 anybody knows how to play it ??? there is no synchrony with audio and video... i don't know what codec can work with it....
Maiko, Tomoka, Miyu, Mizuho and Takayo - We will always love you !!

Posted Image

#19 jimjerjr

jimjerjr

7th gen member

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:36 PM

Haze, you rule. :wub: I can confirm that codec soup will get you messed up. I have three machines, each with a different mix of codecs. Maybe this weekend, I will try your recipe on the "soupiest" one, and see if things improve.

By the way, by "get rid of all codecs" did you really mean that, or did you mean all "codec packs"? I have codecs that belong to maybe a dozen different players, including Microsoft, Apple QT, ATI, RealPlayer, BSPlayer, Mplayer, PowerDVD, Nero and maybe some others. How do I get rid of them all? Are they in a single place?

#20 TheDarkHaze

TheDarkHaze

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:45 AM

mmm for codec's I meant, like start -> control panel -> add/remove programs, and if there's any codec packs, uninstall those, any divx, xvid, ffdshow, ogg vorbis or matroska you should uninstall as well. Mainly so that you have a clean fresh start. The players don't need to be removed.

As for not knowing which codec to use, there's a program called gspot, which analyzes video files and tells you which codecs are used to view it.

http://www.headbands...t/download.html
The Haze is here