123 replies to this topic

#101 MuhdNurHidayat

MuhdNurHidayat

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:55 AM

why not English?  English and Japanese are "too far away" from each other

the translations can be more accurate because Japanese and other East Asian Languages are way closer

^THAT! I agree... :  :good:

English is just too far from Japanese... and some phrases of some concepts can't be translated directly into English like "otsukare-sama desu" ... Many translations is used at different places about that phrase...  :ph34r:

LoveLive! website (Japanese / English) - Stage48 - MyAnimeList - My Website (Malay / English) - Facebook - Twitter - Osu! - Last.fm - YouTube - I live in GMT+8 time zone area.

Most of us are sad with the closure of H!O tracker, but life must be go on! Options: Nyaa.se / Jpopsuki / Aidoru!Online (Old: Alt poll, tagging poll)

Searching for AKB48 SHOW! episodes? There's MP4 batch torrent in Nyaa.se : 2013 Batch | 2014 Batch | 2015 Batch | Also: A!O Batch | Individual torrents are being uploaded in Jpopsuki.

#102 rinafest'19

rinafest'19

slow release schedule apologist

• Senpai
  • 1848 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

Even though I really don't watch anime anymore (re watching FMA: Brotherhood though) I usually prefer dubs because I get distracted easily. But Dubbing companies need more variety, Todd Haberkorn is one of the nicest and funniest people that I'm glad I've gotten to meet several times, but I detest his voice and I don't like hearing it in anime pretty much 100% of the time.

So in the end for me it depends on the anime individually.

MizukiRina

Twitter

#103 Shady

Shady

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

Sub, definitely subs. the english dubs doesn't really give you that kind of feeling you get from watching subbed animes.

#104 ruel

ruel

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1222 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

I prefer sub coz I'm learning the japanese language with it :good:

JNiysQ1.jpeg

#105 PCC

PCC

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:09 AM

As English is not my first language and our TV stations didn't broadcast them in English....

I can't comment much....  :P

In my opinion, sub is better (and Fairy Tail is being show on TV as Malay subbed...)

For old anime like Doraemon, Crayon Shin Chan, Detective Conan... I like the dubbed version even though there are some mistakes in the Malay dub.... (like Kudo Shin-ichi became Shi-nichi Kudo... the しんに and しに is different!)

Naruto Shippuden is also being dubbed here, in Malay....

For ONLINE, I would definietly watch SUB version.... as I won't be able to understand spoken English that much compared to written English.... and that English is my third language (additional language) after Malay (native) and MYSGC (near-native)

[MYSGC is Malaysia-Singapore Chinese... don't compare with China's Chinese! :angry: ]

well, actually... chinese/mandarin taught in most parts of the world follows beijing as its "standard", unless you sympathetic to taiwan's way of teaching mandarin with their improved phonetics. same here in singapore.. but whatever. i don't think the mods here like discussing china's politics if that's what you're implying.

anyway, would be waaaaay too funny if some wiseguys dubbed anime into singaporean style of chinese mixed with its dialects and singlish.

b011567e5ed5fe01d20f62129749e1834524bc7.

#106 VanoriaN

VanoriaN

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:48 AM

Subbed, dubbing just always gives off a different feeling for me. 

#107 zam(仮)

zam(仮)

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 45805 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

I prefer subs too. Same reason as stated by Vanorian. Adding to that, they just could not find a voice that fits the original character voice.

There are exceptions though.
Well, just one so far :lol: ^^;
The only dub so far that I find which actually works/fits with the characters in Japanese.
Tower of Druaga :good:

I wish more dubs were like this.

20170803_uug_sig.jpg

Up-Up Girls Schedule | UUG Official Facebook
Public Service Announcement brought to you by UUG: Beware of fraud mails! Watch it here => https://youtu.be/2KFK8pMhilE

#108 Banaanaa

Banaanaa

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

i prefer subtitles, though some English seiyuu can sounds really good too, but overall i like Japanese voice, because my English is worse than Japanese, much much worse x_x

Subtitle is a great way to learn English in my opinion.

#109 VanoriaN

VanoriaN

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:55 PM

^^

Same for the other way around, learning a bit of Japanese from listening to the original voices lol

Just note that not all subtitle translations are as accurate as others. 

#110 AragonDx

AragonDx

2nd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

^^

Same for the other way around, learning a bit of Japanese from listening to the original voices lol

agreed with this one.

Untitled-1%2Bcopy22.png

Kimoto Kanon - Matsuoka Natsumi - Watanabe Mayu - Yagura Fuuko - Tanikawa Hijiri

#111 kuronekonoyoru

kuronekonoyoru

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

I prefer subs, but in the 90´s i liked latin america dubs ( i´m from costa rica) they where good .

#112 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 5295 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:39 PM

I usually prefer subs over dubs. I guess English (and my mothertongue) are too far away from Japanese to deliver the same feeling, especially since the melody of the languages are so different.

A huge turn-off are also the way they pronounce some names. The German Naruto dub is famous for the horrible opening, but the names... Zah-zoo-keh, Zah-koo-rah.

VKnn8U2.png

I, for one, welcome our new 15ki overlords.

Hello! Project Photobook Overview

Hello! Project Ages Overview

#113 PCC

PCC

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 921 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:10 AM

I prefer subs, but in the 90´s i liked latin america dubs ( i´m from costa rica) they where good .

u mean like dis?

b011567e5ed5fe01d20f62129749e1834524bc7.

#114 lc1241

lc1241

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:50 AM

Either one is fine but if the dubbed is really bad, then subbed. I have to watch Hetalia dubbed though. Those accents make the show.

#115 ajeossi76

ajeossi76

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:45 AM

Dubbed never! I rather watch without subs and understand 10%, than with dub. So subs definitely.

#116 DuuItNow

DuuItNow

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:58 AM

My personal preference is subbed. The only Anime that I have watched that are dubbed are those that used to be on Toonami in the early 2000's (Wolf's Rain, Rurouni Kenshin, Case Closed, InuYasha, Witch Hunter Robin, Rave Master etc.) since those are the ones that got me to appreciate Anime. Though I prefer watching subbed, I occasionally re-watch the dubbed versions that I listed earlier mostly for nostalgia. I wouldn't be opposed to watching dubbed like some are.

Kaede Momona • Riko • Kurumi

Kanon  Yurina • Chisato • Meimi Maho  Risa • Sakurako  • Aya

#117 Juri Matsu<3

Juri Matsu<3

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:28 AM

For me, it depends on the voice acting. Sometimes, it's better to watch anime in English and Filipino(in my case), and most of the time, it's better to watch in Japanese. I go for where I feel the best and comfortable in. Also, there's the funny part where they tried to translate the Japanese words and phrases too literally, they don't deliver the message that was supposed to be delivered and it ends up sounding so wrong(there's also the cultural differences of the countries).

So, yeah. I go where my feels take me. =))

#118 Zabieru

Zabieru

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:17 AM

I prefer subs only because many dubs I've heard were horrible and also hearing the language and reading what's being said helps me with learning the language.

2NsEwYR.png

#119 ☆RisaReinaSayu☆

☆RisaReinaSayu☆

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 1748 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:55 PM

A recent observation I've made about dubs is that anime dubs from the time before Funimation more or less monopolized the anime dubbing industry for English speaking countries featured much more passionate voice acting. I can knock the poor translation of their scripts and plot changes a lot but you can just tell recent anime dubbing most of which are sadly by Funimation feature less passionate casts. You no longer get that impression that the cast members are into their roles. Nelvana's Cardcaptors and Beyblade/V-Force/G-Revolution, 4Kids' Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh, Funimation's Yu Yu Hakusho, their original dubs of Dragonball/Z, even DiC's Sailor Moon. Voice acting wise it all comes off much better done emoting wise than anime dubs done more recently. It could be that I've gotten too used to opting for raw or subbed anime to appreciate dubs to the extent I once could, but I dunno, just found it to be something interesting.

#120 Da-manta-ray

Da-manta-ray

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1306 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:01 AM

Subbed, for sure, for a lot of the reasons others have stated (Seiyuus are better, allows me to pick up some of the language, dubs can't quite get the translation across in English etc.)

Don't want to knock on Funimation because they're doing their best, but a lot of the time, they hire a lot of the same small group of actors, so there's not a lot of variety. Also, in the English dubs, Vic Mignogna is basically inescapable and I really don't like his voice for 90% of his roles. I think the only time I really appreciated his voice was Junpei from Persona 3. 

My Favourites!

MM OGs: Suzuki Kanon, Yoshizawa Hitomi ~ Current MM: Iikubo Haruna, Makino Maria

Berryz: Tsugunaga Momoko ~ ANGERME: Meimi ~ Country Girls: Ozeki Mai ~ Kobushi Factory: Nomura Minami, Wada Sakurako

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users