• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#61 Snapple

Snapple

The Empty Bullring

• Senpai
  • 1032 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:47 AM

There's no question, subbed is superior. I cannot STAND American accents in anime, erughh makes me shudder! I'd watch it raw if I knew enough Japanese.
Posted Image
ICHIGOGO Twitter Last.fm Excessive Drama
秋元才加 ♥ 峯岸みなみ ♥ 篠田麻里子 ♥ 松井珠理奈 ~ freezingkiss

#62 2squared

2squared

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

Most of the time I prefer subs. However, there have been some good dubs. I feel that subbing allows the characters' intended personalities to shine through. (Then again I grew up watching the Sailor Moon dub. After I saw the subbed version, I figured out that the subbed version is far more superior, received barely any censorship, and enhanced my attention span).
Dubs on the other hand can be beneficial because over here in the States, we normally gain knowledge about various anime series via dubs. The bad side to this is that many people believe that the dubbed version of the series is the original one. (My friends all thought this about Sailor Moon until I told them how many different medias Sailor Moon has been produced in)
One thing about dubs I cannot stand is when a company does a voice over on a live-action movie. For example, I was so psyched to watch "Oldboy" on Netflix's streaming service, but the audio being streamed on the site is a rather tacky dub. It wrecked the film for me. :c03:

Plus if you really stretch it, perhaps reading subs might enhance your reading skills ;)

#63 Arcfayth

Arcfayth

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

Personally, I find that Subs are much better than Dubs. As someone above has said, English voice actors aren't really that good. I find that a lot of the emphasis and character of a character('s voice) really gets lost when it's Dubbed.

Plus if you really stretch it, perhaps reading subs might enhance your reading skills ;)

I don't think it's a stretch at all. Some of the talking goes by fairly quickly depending on which series you watch. I remember there was one anime where I had to stop the video to catch all the sentences flying about. :wacko:

#64 TVD

TVD

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 5480 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

For me it depends on the Anime. For example: I prefer to watch Escaflowne subbed.
Code Geass however, with its wide cast of characters from various countries I actually prefer seeing dubbed.

Lucky Star is an example where I enjoy both the dub and subs immensely.

Although I must say that I hate it when they also dub the songs in an anime (I'm looking at you Gundam Seed+Destiny)

Edited by TommyVD, 24 August 2011 - 08:16 PM.

#65 awesomecakes

awesomecakes

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

As a child, I saw some of the classical dubbed animes, such as Pokemon and Yugioh.

However, after that, I never saw dubs again. I really hate dubs, unfortunately. For games such as Final Fantasy, dubs are fine since they are necessary, and usually done better than in animes.

For the last 6 or 7 years, I've been watching subbed anime, and my Japanese is actually pretty good right now. I'm glad that watching anime is also a learning experience for me.

#66 a23ri

a23ri

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

I really love my country dubbing anime.......
I always watch every sunday......... :lol:

#67 TheFicusWithSuperPowers

TheFicusWithSuperPowers

long may she reign

• Senpai
  • 3960 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

I like DUBS more

Actually, I can't understand very well dubs

iheartsaechanwithtext_zpsa8d1a9eb.jpg

cr: byutaereina and renaismile thank you, both of u.

Graphics thread. Tumblr. Twitter Fanfiction Goodreads

#68 melonpan♪

melonpan♪

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2756 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

(null)

#69 rinafest'19

rinafest'19

slow release schedule apologist

• Senpai
  • 1848 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

Shows like Hell Girl, FMA, and Ojamajo Doremi (XD) I really do prefer the dub voices..

But I haven't watched anime in a while because I haven't found one that I liked..

Dokuro-chan I watched in subs where it later got dubbed ( I was in 5th grade I didn't know what I was watching..) I didn't find the dub bad at all.. Cardcaptor Sakura on the other hand when it was dubbed they literally altered their target audience giving the guy a bigger role and my god the opening... It was just ruined overall..

Shows like Shugo Chara, [C] - Control, and No. 6 are shows I am excited to hopefully one day see dubbed..
( I've watched more anime than that I just want to see these dubbed..)
I had to watch the last two seasons of Hell GIrl subbed (legally by the way) and I was just fine adjusting because new characters were introduced all the time..
FMA had great dubbing and I really didn't like Edward's japanese voice..
Magical Doremi was the version I originally know and i think all of the dub voices were fine until the Onpu came in and got the worst voice ever .__. but I don't think they really did anything wrong.. Except butchering the Shogi, the spoiled girl hitting scene, and turning Sake into tea..

Tokyo Mew Mew was butchered by 4kids editing things time after time and changing all of their names..

But if a dub is good I won't turn it down, nothing is wrong with either of them!
I think the important thing is you are supporting the person who lets you watch it legally..

MizukiRina

Twitter

#70 maddogz33

maddogz33

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:47 AM

It depends on the anime for me. If I don't think the voice fits the character, I might try dubbed. For example, I really don't like the voices in the subbed version of DBZ or Death Note. That said, I generally prefer the subbed versions over the dubbed.

#71 Logan ⭐

Logan ⭐

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:55 AM

Inuyasha is probably only anime I strongly prefer the English dub. The rest I have no preference on dub/sub.

#72 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

If you ain't blue, you ain't true

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

It all really depends. Some anime like Eureka Seven i prefer the dub i just think the voices fit the characters more and convey the emotions better. And then some like Ergo Proxy and Haruhi Suzumiya i like both the dub and sub equally. Though for a lot of anime it's better seen original subbed because the dub totally takes away from the original intention of scenes. Gantz, Serial Experiments: Lain and FLCL for example.

Some like One Piece i'm still on the fence about. I think the Funimation dub has been done really well but the original is just so good that it can't be beaten or even matched so i'll stick to watching the original.

TEAM TAKECHAN

#73 NyNy

NyNy

踊る 女王~♥

• Senpai
  • 1430 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

I used to prefer dubs as a child but now, I like both. The only reason I'll watch subbed is if the anime I am watching is not dubbed yet or is only available to a Japanese audience and isn't worldwide.

There are people who say you suck if you watch dub instead of sub but come on! Most of us who don't know Japanese fluently grew up watching a lot of animes in dub so I don't see the problem. I personally don't care whether their voices sound better in Japanese at least I can understand it better!

Sorry, went on a little rant there.

My blog, Nyam with Ny <- 私のブログを読んでください!

#74 PCC

PCC

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 921 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

i'm fine with wrong accents for certain characters, but since i usually only watch the anime of more typically "shonen" stuff which aren't all that wordy, a sub would do just fine. stuff that has more complex dialogues are better off dubbed.

b011567e5ed5fe01d20f62129749e1834524bc7.

#75 TenshiDoll

TenshiDoll

I ♥ Fukuhime

• Senpai
  • 1371 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

The only anime I watch with English dub is Death Note.
All others, Subtitles please.

106zyo0.jpg

Top favorites: Mizuki, Tomoko, Akari, Yuka, Murotan

Favorite H!P group: Juice=Juice

#76 Heidi Lipasti

Heidi Lipasti

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

Dragon Ball's the only anime where I like the English dub (cuz Goku sounds like a 10-year-old in the original.(And of course ...it's over 9000 XD))
But anyways, it's subs for me and but can understand raw too just a little

#77 Caroline

Caroline

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

I always watched sub. Can't stand the dubbed for some animes especially Naruto.
:gitaa:

#78 reinalovesllamas

reinalovesllamas

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

The only dubbed that I like is School Rumble and Studio Ghibi movies.
Everything else needs to be subbed since i dont speak a lick of Japanese.

~avatar and signature made by me~
Untitled_1.png
hello! project tumblr//Graphics thread

#79 ParuYui

ParuYui

|☆단듀☆|

• Senpai
  • 860 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I prefer sub over dub anytime, I find it looks weird when an anime is dubbed so ~ ^^

ParuYui141011siggy_zps4cd57acd.jpg

Youtube Twitter Tumblr icon:reinalovesllamas&sig:Xiukki

#80 NyNy

NyNy

踊る 女王~♥

• Senpai
  • 1430 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

I recently did a post on this, feel free to read if you guys want: http://nynyonlinex.w.../19/dub-vs-sub/

My blog, Nyam with Ny <- 私のブログを読んでください!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users