Photo

Vocal isolation software?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:59 AM

Ok, this is kind of a weird request, but I'm trying to extract the voice track from a Jpop CD, and I figured that this *should* be theoretically possible given the fact that I have both the original track (WAV) and the backing track (WAV).

I figured a simple subtract between the two WAV's should be all I need to do right? Wrong. Here's what I've discovered (using the following annotation - Released song - referred to as "Track 1", Backing track - referred to as "Track 2")

Track 1 starts about 0.40sec after Track 2, which isn't a problem, because all I needed to do is delete that 0.40 sec or so.

Track 2 however, seems to run just a *tad* bit faster - I think over the course of a four minute song, it's about 500 samples too fast...

So I'm sitting here experimenting with a linear interpolation filter (i *think* is right) attempting to increase the backing track to a point where it matches with the released track. I end up getting sections of the song to almost perfectly cancel out (example), but it's too much trial and error for me :\

Any suggestions on software? :ph34r:

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#2 綺麗な氷

綺麗な氷

Druidist follower of the Goddess Kago

• Senpai
  • 3252 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:18 AM

wow i sure wish i had a link!
there is so much H!P i would love to do this with! :ph34r:
Mo ghrá thú, a Ai Kago
New signature coming probably never! :D

#3 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:30 AM

Heh, in some cases it's a trivial matter of just inverting one waveform and aligning them together. For example, Sky subtracted nicely without any kind of need for fancy shmancy resampling. However, Mienai Tsubasa is a total pain to deal with - I had to resample it, and it still has weird instrument sound leakage :\

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#4 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:51 AM

perhaps the instrumental is not the right version? (tho I don't know how that would be possible)

#5 hu5h

hu5h

ハッシュ

• Senpai
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:24 PM

heh i know goldwave can cancel out the vocals on a track pretty nicely. betcha it can capture it too. im not too experienced with that tho so you will have to try and get errors some more ;p

#6 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:52 PM

perhaps the instrumental is not the right version? (tho I don't know how that would be possible)

Nope, the instrumental is the right version, it just runs about 0.003% faster (actually I started characterizing the delay based on drumbeats, and it fluctuates). It's amazing how a SINGLE sample difference can change the overall way the waveforms combine :\. This is why I do video compression, not audio ;D.

heh i know goldwave can cancel out the vocals on a track pretty nicely. betcha it can capture it too. im not too experienced with that tho so you will have to try and get errors some more ;p

Hm, I'll check it out later tonight, thanks for the tip hu5h. I bet I could use it to cancel the vocals out, and then subtract it out :]. I hope to keep all of the wonderful reverb and backing vocals at the same time, so I'll cross my fingers (and toes...and eyes...) and hopefully it'll work XD

-nyekobug