Photo

Screencaps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:29 PM

Hey-

In another thread, Binaa2 asked what program I use to do screencaps and video clips, so I figured I'd start something under the tech forum to talk about it ^_^

Media Player Classic
and taking screen snapshots

This great little program

Go here to download the player. Depending on which operating system you use, you will want to get the latest (6.4.8.4) release, for Windows2k/:wub: (mpc2kxp6484.zip) or Windows98/ME (mpc98me6484.zip).

Extract the zip to someplace that makes sense - in my case I put it in

c:\program files\media player classic

Note how the program is so tiny (4MB!) and is free of advertisements and useless bandwidth wasting page loadings.

Start it up, you'll be amazed at how fast it loads (that is if you're used to using Windows Media Player).

The following thing needs to be done once, and you never have to do it again :).

Select View->Options (or hit "O")

First - select the "Formats" tab, click the "Video" button, to make this program your default player for video files. (If you install something that takes over the associations, you can always reassociate it using this method). You may want to uncheck playlists though, if you are a Winamp user.
Posted Image

Second - select the "Output" tab, and make sure you're using one of the (renderless) options. This allows you to save images. The other options you can play with.
Posted Image

Now whenever you want to save a screenshot - click on the file menu, and select save image. How simple is that? :)
Posted Image

-nyekobug

[EDIT] Useful Media Player Classic keys (default keyset)

CTRL-SHIFT-0: removes ALL controls, making it just a video window with a tiny border
CTRL-SHIFT-1: brings menu bar, and basic controls
CTRL-SHIFT-2: restores all basic controls - including seek bar
ALT-1 : shrinks video down to 50% size
ALT-2 : restores video to full size
ALT-3 : doubles video size
ALT-ENTER : puts video as full screen
View->On Top-> While Playing - hides the window when you pause it
Space-pause
Left/Right arrows: single step
Mouse wheel up/down: Volume control
PgUp/PgDn: Track up / Track down (if you load multiple files into it)

MPC also plays DVDs no problem :)
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#2 Binaa2

Binaa2

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:49 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:03 PM

Virtualdub
And creating simple video clips from .AVI files

The easiest way to make a video clip is from an AVI file that has already been compressed. I use virtualdub - which you can get here. Admittedly, I am using an offshoot of the 1.5.10 version which also allows you to import MPEG2 based video streams, which you can get here.

Extract the contents of the zip file to someplace that makes sense, in my case

c:\program files\virtualdub

And run the .exe file. This will bring up a pretty plain interface
Posted Image

Load the AVI file you want to use (file->open), and while holding shift, drag the trackbar to the start point of the video clip you want to make. You can do this without holding down shift, but it will take longer, and not guarantee that you'll stop on a keyframe. Alternately, you can use the buttons circled in blue to step via keyframes.

Keyframes are very important in this technique - since you cannot make a simple clip from an arbitrary point in the video. If you make a clip using this method without starting on a keyframe, then the resultant video will not show anything until the next keyframe

Find your first keyframe, and mark it using the start point (circled in red). The final frame doesn't have to be a keyframe - so feel free to put the end point wherever you want. Now you'll need to set both the video and audio options to "direct stream copy"
Posted Image

I cannot stress how important it is to set these options; if you don't your resulting video clips will be HUGE (for a 720x480 video sequence, you'll be storing over 512kb per FRAME if you don't use direct stream copy for both video and audio)

After this, file->save as avi, and you'll have a neatly trimmed clip, without having to have someone else recode it for you.

Virtualdub
And saving image sequences for making animated avatars.

Similar to the steps above, but you don't need to worry about using keyframes. Find the start and end points in your video, and use the File->Save image sequence option to save a bunch of individual frames. If you want to resize the image, you can use a resize filter, available under Video->Filters, add->resize (be sure to use some kind of filtering other than nearest neighbor) so you can resize every image without having to do it manually in your animated .GIF creator.

Virtualdub
And remastering/recoding video clips

Don't, unless you know what you're doing :wub: The explanation will take a long time here...

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#4 weijie22

weijie22

6th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:40 AM

WOW a complicated software to me
My favourite H!P members
1. Abe Natsumi--------------look a bit scary when not smiling
2.Konno Asami--------------cute girl who like to eats
3.Rika Ishikawa--------------charmy biyuden
4. Yaguchi Mari---------------small forever
5. Aya Matsuura------------interesting girl with interesting acts
6. Ayaka Kimura------------the first h!p who i know and make me interested in h!p
7. Risa Niigaki -------------Interesting girl who has grown up
8. Okada Yui---------------seen her in h!m acting the "chu" cute
9. Nakazawa Yuko---------oldest h!p who interested me
10. Yasuda Kei--------------obachan...so funny i miss her

#5 Binaa2

Binaa2

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:52 PM

Thanks. Tried and it works...now i just have to find all thoose clips i wanted to
take SS of in the first place....
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 ky_khor

ky_khor

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1312 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:18 PM

for screen capture, u can use BS player too. it's very easy. press "C" to pause, press "P" to capture. it will auto save into a folder with assigned filename.

but i suggest Media Player Classic like Nyekobug mentioned above for a good quality screen capture. bcoz MPC can let u navigate frame by frame which give u capture the clearest, least motion blur screen.

#7 Binaa2

Binaa2

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:43 PM

I took a pair of funny shots of Yossie and kaori doing strange faces.
What imagehosting do you guys prefer if you want to make them public?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 ky_khor

ky_khor

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1312 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:21 AM

http://www.imageshack.us/
or
http://www.photobucket.com

#9 Binaa2

Binaa2

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:22 PM

Thanks Nyekobug for all your techical assistans.

I tried playing around with virtualdub and with your help i can now cut
out parts of a videostream :lol:

But if i want to do it the "other" way around. For instance
i want to remove a part from the video in the middle (the commercial)
but keep the rest. Is there any easy way to do that except cutting the video
into three parts and the try to put piece one and three together again (piece two beeing the commercial ofcourse)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:31 PM

Hm, I've never tried this. I'll look into it now that you've gotten my curiosity :]. With virtualdub, I'd guess there's no built in feature to do this :lol:.

-nyekobug

#11 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:18 AM

just put the start and end marker on the commercial section and select delete, isn't it? (not handy at the moment)

#12 Binaa2

Binaa2

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:26 AM

just put the start and end marker on the commercial section and select delete, isn't it? (not handy at the moment)

Did a quick test and that worked. Got to be a bit more careful when i do it for real then, don't wanna cut anything from the show so hard doing it without leaving a small part of the commercial there anyway. Ill experiment a bit more tomorrow.
Time to sleep now :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:05 AM

By gum you're right! I've never used this feature ^___^. Thanks agb for teaching me something new today!

On a side note, if you're doing this when streamcopying from AVI files, make sure you do it at keyframe points (use the arrows with a key next to them, or hold down shift while dragging the trackbar). The start keyframe point is the most important since with these compression technologies, entry points must be at those keyframe/i-frame boundaries.

Good luck Binaa2!

-nyekobug

#14 ThousandSG

ThousandSG

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:13 PM

I realized for a long time that format in .wmv (maybe more??) cannot take screenshot on WMP (windows media player) , and u can't even put it on the GIF ANIMATOR...

Does anyone has a converter? XDD
Pls post up if there is ~~ i would like it :whistle: thx

#15 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:02 PM

Well, you could play it with MediaPlayer Classic and take a screen shot from there ...

#16 Spades

Spades

JAV

• Senpai
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:19 AM

u cld try EO Video converts wmv files to anything u wat

#17 Santa-san

Santa-san

圣诞老人

• Senpai
  • 1254 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:10 PM

BSPlayer is what I always use to take screenshots of anything! If that doesn�t work, try "print screen" :whistle:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#18 ThousandSG

ThousandSG

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

BSPlayer is what I always use to take screenshots of anything! If that doesn�t work, try "print screen" :whistle:

print screen wouldn't work

#19 Scepter

Scepter

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:44 PM

You can get screenshots from videos with Fraps too. Google for it :(
Risa Recommends:http://www.denness.net/scrobblersig/username/Citadel/labelcolor/6666FF/trackcolor/000000/backgroundcolor/#EEF1F6/backgroundtransparent/0.png
Posted Image
Yo. Please support my band :)