Photo

Good bandwidth management/allocation software?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:45 PM

Okay, I asked the IT guys at my company and they're totally useless ^_^. I'm wondering if anyone out here has used any form of bandwidth management software. I have a system on which I have other services (http,ftp mainly) running and I'd like to have those have higher priority over bittorrent.

Ideally, when I'm running and there are no clients downloading from my http/ftp server then I want bittorrent to have 100% of my outgoing bandwidth. Whenever someone pops on to get something via HTTP, I'd like to say, set bittorrent to 25% of the bandwidth, and give 75% of it over to the HTTP server. Or have a simple way of telling the overall computer that it can have say, 75% of my outgoing/incoming bandwidth, allowing for other systems on the network to have guaranteed bandwidth (read: PS2 online!) for their own usage.

I know there's all this stuff about QoS controls built into the network settings, but I don't know how to get access to control that stuff :P. I'm more of an embedded software engineer, not a microsoft programmer ^__^

Any suggestions?

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#2 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

Hmmm.. I thought QOS support is the domain of switches and routers. For that you need network engineers. On linux, if you use it for a NAT device, you can probably get protocol prioritization. But I'm not aware of anything on Windows. The easiest thing is to get a router that supports QOS.