Photo

Windows "Longhorn"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Santa-san

Santa-san

圣诞老人

• Senpai
  • 1254 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:46 PM

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried the new windows out yet?
I have tried to install about three different beta versions, but haven't gotten any of them to work. Is this new one purely for 64-bit platforms?
If anyone have installed it and gotten it to work, please share your experience here! It will be really interesting to hear. Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:15 PM

doesn't it have some fairly insane hardware requirements? Is the beta open?

#3 Santa-san

Santa-san

圣诞老人

• Senpai
  • 1254 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:24 PM

I don't know. I'm not too skilled in programming... ^_^
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#4 Noemi

Noemi

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:49 PM

First of all.. Whatever you tried to install is not even in beta stages yet.. All the versions on the net are either debug alpha version 'leaked' by someone on the dev team or the old preview from some conference back in early 2004.. The first beta is to be released after May 2005..

Now the 64bit thing.. I have a 32bit version running on one of the computers here at work.. It's.. Hmm.. MacOSX'ish.. :D Just imagine a merge between WinXP and MacOS.. There.. Longhorn.. :D

Due to the status of the release (I have the january alpha version) I can't really say how good it really is.. It likes to crash.. Some software (ie. Photoshop) will BSOD.. Hardware wise it's ok.. I have it on AMD Barton3000 w/ 1GB of RAM with some NV5200 videocard.. Seems to run 100% speed on that configuration.. Tho I'd recomend waiting til the first beta release at least before thinking about installing it.. ^_^

#5 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:23 PM

It likes to crash..

LOL! It sounds like Windows to me ^_^

#6 MidNight

MidNight

Auditioning...

• Banned
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:45 AM

What you Ganna choose LongHorn or linux When longhorn came?..
Posted Image

#7 qx123

qx123

Five Tiger Generals

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1585 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:51 AM

Still windows ^_^.
Until i changed my comp

#8 Spitfire

Spitfire

Operation Spitfire!!! Commence~

• Senpai
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:04 AM

Still windows ^_^.
Until i changed my comp

mac. :D

if i have apple... "-_-

but still windows the common one
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 yggg

yggg

Devourer of Spam

• Dai-Senpai
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:08 AM

It likes to crash..

LOL! It sounds like Windows to me ^_^

wow they retained that feature :D
ZONE is only good at one thing... that is, making music :)

#10 qx123

qx123

Five Tiger Generals

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1585 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:40 AM

Bwahahaha....
Hope they dont retain the ability to easily fallen prey to worms

#11 Noemi

Noemi

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:15 PM

It likes to crash..

LOL! It sounds like Windows to me ^^;

wow they retained that feature ^^;

I'm not too sure what you guys are talking about.. ^^;

An average uptime of my windows machines is 90 days.. ^_^ The longest uptime I had was just over 16 months.. I had to shutdown because I was moving and the UPS wouldn't hold it up for the time of the trip.. :D They don't go down on me unless I shut them down.. Blame the driver and software makers for your problems.. ^^; Of course 90% of the blame is in the user so.. Get a baseball bat and smash both your wrists so you wont be able to ###### up with the system.. ^^;

edit:
Just checked my laptop and my 2 desktops at work..
Laptop: Uptime 5m 19d 2h 34m 52s
Desktop1: Uptime 2m 17d 13h 49m 3s
Desktop2: Uptime 29d 23h 12m 38s (I installed a new DVDRW in it last month)

#12 ky_khor

ky_khor

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1312 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:07 PM

so far i'm comfortable with ^^; Pro. i like Mandrake. but most of the stuff for Windows still need ~~err Windows ^_^ so i choose ^^; Pro.

edit: notice that "X.P." all become ^^; in forum ^^;

#13 qx123

qx123

Five Tiger Generals

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1585 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:13 PM

Well the short cut is design that way haha..
not the first time it happen to me already...last time it happens too..
It look so freaky funny windows ^^; (windows tongue) and people ask me whats that ^_^

#14 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:24 PM

I'm not too sure what you guys are talking about.. ^^;

An average uptime of my windows machines is 90 days.. ^_^ The longest uptime I had was just over 16 months.. I had to shutdown because I was moving and the UPS wouldn't hold it up for the time of the trip.. ^^; They don't go down on me unless I shut them down.. Blame the driver and software makers for your problems.. ^^; Of course 90% of the blame is in the user so.. Get a baseball bat and smash both your wrists so you wont be able to ###### up with the system.. ^^;

edit:
Just checked my laptop and my 2 desktops at work..
Laptop: Uptime 5m 19d 2h 34m 52s
Desktop1: Uptime 2m 17d 13h 49m 3s
Desktop2: Uptime 29d 23h 12m 38s (I installed a new DVDRW in it last month)

Ahh... spoken like a true sys admin ^^;

From the programmer perspective, it's inherently difficult to design stable programs for Windows because there is NO design philosophy in Windows (.Net is not Windows design philosophy, it's just api into services). All their stuff is closed source and they make you go thru an upgrade treadmill just for CODING their stuff. So, it is difficult to apply true system design in a windows environment. System design is difficult enuf in itself, not to mention with you have some blackbox whose performance is uncertain.

Windows (2k and later) have taken great strides in stability. However, it still favors one program at a time. Trying to make things work together and you are pretty guaranteed to have problems. The only stable environments I've seen are locked down systems that only do a fixed set of things. This maybe fine for corporate servers, but not good for home use

#15 Santa-san

Santa-san

圣诞老人

• Senpai
  • 1254 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:33 PM

Just imagine a merge between WinXP and MacOS.. There.. Longhorn..  ^_^

That sounds like some nightmare... Posted Image My friend, who?Ls a record producer uses all Mac at home, and all Mac in the studio. All he tells me to do, takes, like forever... (A mouse with one button??? And what?Ls with those stupid drop-down menus??) To imagine a merge between that and Windows would be a monster. Like, a crashing Mac? Posted Image (The one + about Mac is that it never crashes, strangely)
I didn't know I had an Alpha version, so I?Lll be looking forward to the Beta! Since I mostly use my home computer as an HD video, how is your Longhorn system handling multimedia/video and such?
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#16 Noemi

Noemi

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

Windows (2k and later) have taken great strides in stability.  However, it still favors one program at a time.  Trying to make things work together and you are pretty guaranteed to have problems.  The only stable environments I've seen are locked down systems that only do a fixed set of things.  This maybe fine for corporate servers, but not good for home use

I have 8 computers.. Each has a separate purpose.. 1 is just for scanning/prining with only Adobe Suite on it.. Another one is a fileserver with not a single application installed on it and with Win2k3 stripped down to a bare minimum.. etc, etc..
The only computer that has tons of crap is my laptop.. But I never have any problems on it.. Other than hardware problems that is.. It seems like I need a new battery.. ^_^

I work as an IT support techie so I know all about problems with Windows PCs.. we have 300+ machines here.. Most of the problems people experience are their own fault.. Alpha version of codecs or drivers, spyware, user installed soft etc. cause all the problems.. Like lately we had a big problem with chinese dictionary software that would BSOD after upgrading WinXP machinese to SP2.. ^^; And with 40% of people here being chinese let's just say I was busy for a couple of weeks.. "-_-

Let's get back to Longhorn.. If you want it as a video machine I'd wait til at least RTM version.. Xvid crashes Longhorn.. Divx looks like crap and it's very choppy.. Hell.. Divx looks like shit on Win2k3.. :D Adobe Premiere refuses to install on Longhorn.. None of the TV capture software works because of a simple problem: no drivers for tv cards.. ^^; But all those problems will disapear once the OS gets closer and closer to the release day..
From what I've read HD video will be a standard in Longhorn because the media player will be the next generation of WMP.. And with HD being already an option in the existing WMP10 I doubt they'll drop the support for it in the next version.

And about Mac's not crashing.. That's a good one.. ^^;
Mac's are as stable as any Linux machine.. And trust me.. Those are as stable as WindowsME.. ^^; We have more problems with our Macs than with windows machines.. But I guess we can blame it on shitty graphic design software that refuses to work properly.. ^^;

#17 Santa-san

Santa-san

圣诞老人

• Senpai
  • 1254 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:03 PM

As stable as WinME eh? XD
Thanx for your answers dude, you're an ace! XD (guess I know who to turn to with my computer questions from now on...)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#18 MidNight

MidNight

Auditioning...

• Banned
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

im so intress to have linux soon XD
Posted Image

#19 dracko

dracko

9th gen member

• Uploader
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:52 AM

I Liked the MSDN version of longhorn, which I guess was the second preview version. Too bad it didnt have driver support for my sound card and the new gui window stacking didnt work well with my video card. I'm sure later this year when they start letting people try the betas (not these pre-alphas everyone has had) it will be better.

Heck, Win2k3 server is a thing of beauty, so longhorn can only be better, right?

Noemi, do you have a betaplace account or are you a member of MSDN as well?

#20 Noemi

Noemi

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:22 PM

Noemi, do you have a betaplace account or are you a member of MSDN as well?

Both.. Plus some 'less' legal connections to obtain MS software.. XD