• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#21 Dran

Dran

Enlightened One | ½ of KIDS-Subs

• Senpai
  • 2174 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

^You mean you're planning to attend a concert sober?

Sounds like it may be a dead audience after all. At least those non-Americans among us appreciate wotagei and know how to have a good time, right? :unsure:

#22 sakurazaki

sakurazaki

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

@ plusQ: I don't think signs will be allowed at the concert since AX already has a no sign policy. >; Plus it's going to be in the convention center this time around.

http://www.anime-exp...ode-of-conduct/

@turbos86: Heheh, trust me, when I jump I reach about average American height. That's how short I am. I'll check out the dollar store before hopping on the plane then. ;3

#23 plusQ

plusQ

1st gen member

• Kouhai
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:44 PM

^
^
i gather, Alcohol makes you want to pee. If I'm standing in line waiting to get in and want a good seat. I'm not about to go give up my spot in line because I have to pee. So I'm going in sober and will probably get drunk off my excited hyper vibes of seeing Morning Musume up close. XD "Excited hyper vibes" are intoxicating for sure!

And boo about the signs. Why do silly anime fans have to ruin it for us normal people eh?

PO9wYGJ.png?1

my deviant art||tumblr DAIFUKU PRINCESS

#24 CDevil

CDevil

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:09 AM

@ CDevil...

I don't want this to turn into a heated discussion about what we should and shouldn't do at the concert, because I like what you wrote and I'm not disagreeing. My only concern was that people (such as sakurazaki and also myself) would get a less enjoyable experience due to others jumping and flailing about like lunatics. I have been to a Momusu concert before, and I did see the wota jumping about. That's all well and good in a proper concert hall with elevated seating towards the back, but the AX concert probably won't be like that and I'm sure the people in the back (along with the majority of the audience) will want to see the stage clearly. I'm just hoping people will be responsible enough to know if they're annoying anyone else, and that people will have the guts to speak up if anyone is annoying them. Like I said before, I don't have a problem with the chants and movements that don't get in anyones way as much (such as waving glowsticks). I'm pretty shy so I'd fully encourage everyone else to do all the chanting and stuff. It's a lot better than wasting your energy jumping about wotagei style, as that's not the only way to show 'physical support' as you put it.

btw I did see that AX07 video, and yeah it was pretty dead DURING the song, but I don't blame them. From what I read in the comments, the concert wasn't well organised and people didn't know what to do. I'm also hoping the MM concert won't be like that, as that isn't what I'd call an "American reception" (I'm not even American so I have no idea what thats like anyway), but we'll just have to wait and see.

#25 Piper G

Piper G

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for writing this! I'll bet that this will be useful not only for folks who want to perform wotagei at AX but also for those who are going to an MM concert for their first time. =)

#26 GordieHowe

GordieHowe

sötpotatis <3

• Banned
  • 2643 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:49 AM

What most people do at MM concerts now and shouldn't be seen as that disturbing:

- Furimane (also called furikopi): If you're hardcore you copy every step your girl is taking, otherwise maybe just some XD. And I'm not sure if turbos86 changed it in his videos yet, but you do the exact dance (not mirroring). I.E. if the girls are doing a move with their right arm, you do it with the right arm as well.

- Ouen calls:
* Shouting the girl's name after a solo line.
* Extended role call. Usually used when there's a part with one girl having 1-2 solo lines, followed by at least one more girl right after her.
* L-O-V-E LOVELY <name>. Used when there's just enough room between solo lines. Please refrain from using this if you're not sure when to do it. (This one is actually not that common during MM concerts)
* "Urya hoi!": The "urya" part is used to encourage people to start shouting. Usually most people just do the "hoi!" part. If you want to learn when this is proper to use just check concerts or follow the girls during the concert and start when they pump their fists (MM is so used to the wotas behaviour so they know when to encourage them to do this :P).
* An alternate that haven't been mentioned: Ho~i, ho~i, hoi, hoi, hoi, hoi! (Example from 0:55 in this clip) This one is often used for more upbeat/intense songs.
* "FU-WA, FU-WA, FU-WA, FU-WA!": Sometimes just twice, not 4x. If you go to the clip above again you can hear it during the middle part of the chorus for an example. Used together with mawari.

- Romeo: For more slower songs you just stand on your spot doing this, but to be able to have this one to work well during a more upbeat song you will have to jump and do it (referred to as "oshi jump" ("oshi" meaning something like devoted)).

- Kecha: At least during the bridge for each song you do this. If you have glowsticks don't bother about what wotagei it is, just make sure you wave in the same rythm as everybody else. :P

- Mawari: Actually you won't often see people do the full mawari. Most people just jump up and down and clap their hands, not spinning around. If you can see someone starting spinning arund you can probably count with him doing the romansu wotagei when they repeat the chorus again. :omg:

I might explain all these basic moves better in a video, or tell turbos86 where to put them in for some example song so he can post a video for it. XD

And oh, if you expect people to not dance or jump at all during a H!P concert you maybe should consider getting a seat in the back or something. Or maybe not go to the concert at all. People will be in your way, deal with it.

#27 turbos86

turbos86

=P

• Dai-Senpai
  • 2731 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:37 AM

^ Thanks for the info again gord, very informative!
I haven't had time to update the videos yet, will probably do so when I make more.

#28 Ninja-Man

Ninja-Man

I'm back!

• Dai-Senpai
  • 2488 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:47 AM

Read the guide, learned some new stuffs.
But I do have a question. At what point are we supposed to throw our hotel room keys on the stage?

#29 sculpey12

sculpey12

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 242 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:31 AM

Thanks turbos for all the info. I've seen some extreme wotagei to Romantic Ukare Mode prior to concerts. I remember a fan who did what looked like the Matrix, but decided to go for a full bridge onto his head. His friend was playing along and grabbed the fan's legs in an attempt to flip him up to a full head stand. The fan's back muscles must have cramped up since he flopped onto his side and started writhing around in pain. Man, that was so funny :P

Anyway, I'm all for people jumping, dancing and clapping, because it's what I've seen at H!P concerts. I'd hate to experience a Morning Musume concert like the poor SOS Brigade one. I'm a huge fan of the urya hoi chant when a portion of the audience chants "urya" and the majority responds with "hoi!". I also enjoy the EL - OH - VOOEE - EE chants. I am definitely not a fan of the "fuwa fuwa" chants cause they seem so 1999 :whistle:

I like to suggest to anyone not interested in over-the-top wotagei, to at least try some of the chants, clapping, and waving a glowstick or nine - you'll have so much more fun. None of this standing with crossed arms stuff. That's what you do when waiting in line for the toilet or scolding a child.

Oh and one "Western" fan thing we could possibly try to do is sing the entire encore song with Morning Musume. Like totally sing over them as they burst into tears of joy http://www.hello-onl...tyle_emoticons/hello-online/wink.gif So I guess we need to start memorizing all the songs they could possibly use in their encore haha XD AN - KO - RU!!! AN - KO - RU!!!

#30 Scramasax

Scramasax

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 714 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:10 AM

I've been to American Metal shows where the fans just sit in the grass, in open-air venues, or stand and sway side to side... and I was one of them. I expect a lot of the American fans to be lazy. Us Americans have worked hard to gain that reputation. I don't want to add to it.

In addition to giving them a good welcome, I want to break my own boring habits. I realize that during the actual concert, there will likely be limited room, poor line of sight, ect. Therefore I'll probably just chant and wave glow-sticks while trying not to bother others.

However, one thing I think people are overlooking is that this is not a "Morning Musume Concert"... this is a "Morning Musume Concert at an anime convention". I have never been to a MM concert, but I've been to plenty of anime conventions.

Anime conventions have lines... LONG lines. A friend of mine once stood in a line at a convention for nearly 11 hours. Lines are boring. Anyone who might happen to have a small boom-box with the right songs... <cough> Romantic Ukare Mode</cough> around the right group of people <cough> US </cough>, who knows what could happen.
There will be plenty of opportunities to use these moves outside of the concert if people take some initiative and MAKE opportunities.

I fully support us American fans doing something other than the norm. The problem is, the "norm" has been refined by fans for years. Anything we make up, we have 2 months to figure out and spread to enough fans to make it worth it.
Any Ideas?

Here's one: before the concert, the right half of the hall (as you face the stage) yells "Morning". The Left side replies, "Musume". And Repeat. ... too simple? :lol:

#31 田中BOMB

田中BOMB

The eggs are hatching...

• Senpai
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:08 AM

This is a nice guide, I was wondering about some of the chants, now I know. I'm not a big fan of the over the top stuff though, but I'm not going to let myself be dull! Maybe someone should address the crowd pre-concert on some of the more important stuff, for some of the people who don't know.

NO MOLE,______.______ NO LIFE
Posted Image
l 田中れいな l 真野恵里菜 l 前田憂佳 l

#32 markRAWR

markRAWR

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3473 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

@Ninja: Just before they walk off stage :P Make sure it lands in front of the relevant member.

It is cool to have a guide for something like this, though for those complaining about having things like this during a concert its called "enjoying yourself"
This is still a MM concert even if it is at a weeaboo anime expo and you are bound to have fans who will do this. I know some Japanese fans who are going and they always do wotagei and everything else at concerts. No matter where MM go you will get all this happening, don't be so uptight.

Here's one: before the concert, the right half of the hall (as you face the stage) yells "Morning". The Left side replies, "Musume". And Repeat. ... too simple? XD

Never gonna happen imo, unless you walk around and tell everyone.

It could even replace the encore call (so instead of "an-ko-ru. an-ko-ru" it could be "mor-ning. mu-su-me").

IMO that would sound horrible, its perfect the way it is.

#33 CDevil

CDevil

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

Here's one: before the concert, the right half of the hall (as you face the stage) yells "Morning". The Left side replies, "Musume". And Repeat. ... too simple? :)

It's simple but I think that's a really nice idea! It'd be awesome if something like that happened, and it doesn't even need to be half the hall saying each word, if everyone does it it'd be twice as loud ^^; It could even replace the encore call (so instead of "an-ko-ru. an-ko-ru" it could be "mor-ning. mu-su-me"). I know I keep bringing it up but something similar happened in the AKB theatre, where a very well known American fan changed the encore call and it was very successful (it went something like "en-core. A-K-B. for-ty-eight" etc).

#34 Tony Oguri

Tony Oguri

Connoisseur of Fine Ladies

• Senpai
  • 2385 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

This is one of the greatest threads ever. Thanks Turbos86. And thanks to Gordo as well.

One more item that might be considered, especially for Sayumi fans, is to get upgraded light sticks. Big battery powered ones that flash. They have wrist straps. A "Big-Time" Sayumi fan will typically hold one in his left hand and two in his right hand. Of course, the lighting will be pink in Sayu's case.

ym.jpg

World's greatest and #1 fan of Oguri Yui, Yahagi Moeka, and Chiba Erii.

#35 Takeo Rey

Takeo Rey

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

I was about to ask how we should act at a Morning Musume concert... This helps out greatly, LOL! I was just going to act how I usually do at concerts, but it's different everytime.

Just saw that video of the crowd not doing anything... how boring! Even I know how to do the Hare Hare Yukai dance! We've got to do better than that!

#36 MatchinColorGurl08

MatchinColorGurl08

10 years J-Pop and 9 years of K-pop

• Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

@Ninja-Man
I know you were going to ask a crazy question. XD

@turbos86
Good ideas. I want to try some of the chant, but I do understand some of you about the room in the convention. I been to a Christian convention. Some convention has room to dance around and some weren't.

@girls
I don't know how many girls are going, but I want to give them a huge advice.
Spoiler
:) :wub: If you girls know you are going to be on TOMS that week, bring some pain medicine and take some before the concert. <3 We're going to jump around like crazy, and you don't want to set down the whole time because of cramps. :good: Also, have pently bottle of water. Girls' TOMS are different than some girls but on the safe side, drink some water the whole time on the trip. You will be in less pain. One more thing: DON'T WEAR ANY WHITE BOTTOMS. Accident happens, but you don't know. You're sitting down for a while, and you have a leak that got the back of the bottom. You don't want to be embarrass. Always wear dark bottoms, or you are plan to wear white bottoms to match you favorite member color bring an extra bottom.

@everyone
Accidents can happen at times. Always bring extra clothes. You don't know what happens at a concert or convention to where you have a huge stain on your shirt or got blood during a fight or accident pee on yourself.

#37 liamers

liamers

2nd in command of the Gaki Green Shoes Club!

• Senpai
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

thanks for this awesome guide. I aint going to AX but at least now I can do wotagei in front of the laptop

#38 sakurazaki

sakurazaki

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

I have no real problem with anyone chanting or whatever, since MM deserves fans who are enthusiastic about their songs and aren't dead like that vid that Turbos put up. I simply was commenting on something I was concerned about that's all... Everyone is entitled to enjoy themselves and I'm certainly not going to stop people from doing whatever they want as long as they are courteous to other MM fans around them and adhere to the rules that the AX staff put in place.

And now enough of my blabbering...

I know for sure I'll stay even if I have to move off to the side of the room in order to see them. >: I didn't bust money just to walk out on a concert...

#39 Munkee_G1rl

Munkee_G1rl

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

It's great knowing that others will be doing chants and wotagei~ :good:
I know I'll be jumping like crazy.... I doubt I'll do the wotagei though~ ^^;

I just hope it won't be boring as that one clip and like last year's AX. The people there weren't very enthusiastic especially during the Battle of the Bands. How can you just stand there~!? We must not let that happen again~! At least we won't have a hard time getting spotted by MM~ :rolleyes:

I need to get more yellow and green glow-sticks....

소녀시대 kidnapped me <<Yup. :/

Posted Image

#40 ReiNa.than

ReiNa.than

♥田中れいな♥

• Senpai
  • 1295 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:04 AM

Great guide turbos.

I went to my first two MM concerts the end of April, both the same night. I was one of those guys just standing and enjoying the concert, but by the time the second concert started I wished I had glowsticks so I could do the chants and what not.

It felt more like I was testing the waters, to see if I even enjoyed the concert (which I did). I know if I see them again in Japan, I'd be doing chants and jumping etc...

I'm hoping most people will be like this at the AX concert. I'm kind of a shy guy so it'd be hard for me to do it if no one else is... That's why I know in Japan I could 'cause everyone else is.

Not really into the more hardcore wotagei, but people who do it don't annoy me or anything. But the chants/glowsticks are a must (despite what I did lol).

So hopefully more people see this, and the crowd isn't boring like the video you posted!
Follow me ~@LinkFlames

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users