• Please log in to reply
3449 replies to this topic

#3301 rurupedia

rurupedia

rururururu

• Senpai
  • 1714 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:38 AM

Idols have a problem becoming singers after the idol career. 

Miyamoto Karin is the kind of idol you come to like, she is not immediately apparent in her charm to people. 

I feel that after graduating, she will just vanish like so many other hello project graduates. She does not post pictures of herself often on her instagram, instead posting her cat, or food. She is not very good at self promotion.

I feel she is disappointed with where she is, the entire "not the ace" of juice=juice shock she had from the management when they added Dambara Ruru, and now three additional people? It seems the management do not support Miyamoto Karin as she does not have many connections, and she neglected to make connections.

If you look at Eripon, she has made a lot of connections in the idol world, and entertainment. Even though her popularity is low when seen in goods purchases, she has used her connections to stay important. Airi Suzuki has a famous father, and she has a lot of connections as well. She does cosmetics and promotions.

What does Miyamoto Karin have?

She did some voice acting a long time ago. She did some acting and stage plays a long time ago. She has isolated herself from making any connections in entertainment. I do not see a big company supporting her.

She was very positive and outgoing at the time of her graduation concert plans, but then covid came, and now that has been pushed to uncertainty. We remember the very sad, empty audience graduation of Murotan, I think she is waiting for a good graduation concert, and only that.

What plans does she have? None as I can tell, she doesn't do any DIY at all, anywhere. She doesn't do anything that I can see, apart from work every day with juice=juice.

I feel when she graduates, we will never see her again. This makes me very sad.

that's definitely a good point, karin has her fanbase but that's pretty much it (cmiiw though). i feel like airi's success as a soloist under ufp is mostly isolated to her, like i doubt other ex-h!p girls would be as successful as her if they went ufp soloist, because they don't have the connections or advantages airi has had throughout her whole career. and it's really unfortunate because karin is such a talented idol and will/would be an incredible soloist, but i just don't see her getting the same support or having the same success as airi. ofc i could be very wrong since we don't know for sure but it's just speculation lol

#3302 Touki

Touki

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2326 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:19 AM

I've already predicted that her fanbase never seems to shrink even after her graduation. Therefore, if she drags her fan along with her even after she graduates, she'll be okay

However, that's my optimistic view. If we look at the truth, even Rihoriho, Miya or Tanaka Reina have a chance to shine during post-graduation period. Therefore, even though Karin has an advantage of dragging fans to her own fanbase, she must find a way to maintain the fanbase after graduation. The path to become a soloist is really rough. If you watch young artists such as JUNNA or ASCA, you'll see how.

It's OK not to have many connections during her idol period like Airi did, but Karin's seriousness and persistence need to be doubled in order for her to become a successful artist. She doesn't have connections as grants like Airi does, but she can make them like Eripon did. There's no pathway to quick success.

#3303 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 5295 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:15 AM

To be fair, her mentioning the DIY projects (despite never having talked/posted about DIY before) sounded to me like she's going to take a break. Like, she's going to keep it low.

I feel that being pushed from an early age often ends in the person having to take a good time-out. Karin has been a member of H!P for nearly as long as Mizuki or Takechan (them being the 4th gen of the Eggs, Karin being part of the 5th gen), but was promoted solo very early on (Kopink in 2011). Fans called her the "miracle of Hello! Project" (and raged every time she didn't join the newest Morning Musume generation lmao). When she finally debuted she was the absolute center of Juice=Juice until she got health issues in 2018.

What I mean is that they've been pushing her full steam since her third year in H!P, while Mizuki and Takechan could take a few breathers in the 2nd or 3rd row of their groups. She never seemed to enjoy mingling with entertainment business too much. I can see her doing a few promotional events and maybe writing songs for Up Front.

VKnn8U2.png

I, for one, welcome our new 15ki overlords.

Hello! Project Photobook Overview

Hello! Project Ages Overview

#3304 mie-chan

mie-chan

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:07 PM

Idol salary is low. Maro said she made more as a sales person at a clothing store than as an idol.

Even Okai Chisato, who was popular could not continue as there's no money to be made, 10,000-50,000 yen per entire television show, all day work. Manager takes 25-30%. 

If you look at Tamura Meimi , she had to leave to have success. If an idol stays until they are forced out, their career is seen as over. The only ones who really succeed left early, like Kudo Haruka and Tamura Meimi. 

If you have a wealthy family supporting you, then there's no problems. You never see Karin in trendy fashionable brands that cost a lot of money like Balenciaga. You don't see her promote expensive makeup like Miyaa. 

It feels like covid has stolen her special graduation.

I think the best thing is to stay in juice=juice until things become more normal, and economy is better. There will be more work opportunities soon.

It is possible that with Inoue Rei, juice=juice will become even more powerful, but Karin is no longer the center and instead of giving up on juice=juice, use it to move forward.

Graduating and long absence will not help popularity and chances of work. Her crystal voice still steals the focus in juice=juice MV. 

#3305 rurupedia

rurupedia

rururururu

• Senpai
  • 1714 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:00 PM

yeah i feel like graduating now is really risky, with the economy screwed up bc of covid it's probably best for her to stay an idol at least for the next few years as a stable job, then maybe if she still wants to do it then graduate and become a soloist. i doubt this'll happen though, since like juandalyn said she's been an idol longer than she hasn't and probably wants a break from the whole thing. honestly i don't mind if she stays in j=j or graduates to become a soloist since i'm fine with both ways (though ngl i really wanna hear her solo songs in an album) but i'm interested in what she chooses. i just hope she stays in the entertainment business though cuz i love her so much lol

#3306 Punkin

Punkin

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1388 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:39 PM

Sorry I have to ask — when was Maro a sales person?? She started being an idol young so unless that’s something she did after leaving Anju I don’t know when she would have done that? Genuinely curious. Also Chisa is a terrible example because she would probably still be doing TV work and other things if it weren’t for that scandal she was in that kinda made her go into her shell for a while. I don’t think it had as much to do with how much or how little she made.

And although Airi had connections with other artists and stuff, I think a lot of people fail to realize that a lot of Airi’s success comes from her PUSHING for it. She made an entire presentation that detailed what she wanted to do as a soloist and presented it to the UF staff, and she’s the one that decides how she does things and what things she wants to challenge and then makes it happen. Airi isn’t given special treatment, she pushes for what she wants. “This is what I want the stage to look like — see what you can do and get back to me.” She gets what she wants because she asks for it. Other soloists under UF are comfortable with the minimal work they get so they stay there. If Airi went into her solo career letting UF’s staff decide things for her, she would be just like the rest of UF’s talents.

I think Karin would be smart to stay a little longer until things are more stable, but if she does go solo, it would be best if she followed Airi’s example of having a decided direction she wants to go in and pushing for it. If she wants a certain image style or and certain sound, she needs to say so and stick to her guns. UF couldn’t afford to say no to Airi because they know she’s an asset, and they know that Karin could be even bigger than she is if given the right platform. I think after Airi’s success, they won’t be uncooperative with Karin. I think Airi’s paved the way for future soloists in UF. Girls who wanted real solo careers didn’t stay under UF because of the image UF has created for themselves of not taking care of their soloists and giving them basic work and promo (because the soloists they have are fine with that and don’t really push for more), but after Airi, I think more girls will consider staying because she’s showed them it’s possible to be under upfront and still have a successful and creative solo career.

#3307 Lurkette

Lurkette

マシュマロの心

• Headquarters
  • 3939 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:49 PM

Sorry I have to ask — when was Maro a sales person?? She started being an idol young so unless that’s something she did after leaving Anju I don’t know when she would have done that? Genuinely curious.

Maro did an interview with Yoshida Gou earlier this year where she mentioned that she became a shift leader at a clothing store and made more money than she did in S/mileage. For what it's worth, wota are really unsure if she's telling the truth or not, partially because it's her nature to exaggerate things, partially because there is a lot of conflicting evidence. She stated when she was younger that she was making more money than her own father when she debuted with S/mileage. It's also possible that she just didn't see the money she was making because minors have their money go directly to their parents. However, wota know that H!P has a ban on jobs outside the company so it most likely must have been while she was still under UF as a songwriter. That, or she was as much a rebel as she always was and was doing it while she was in Angerme.
DDOhydd.gif

#3308 Touki

Touki

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2326 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:54 PM

I think for some idols, the salary is low. However, for high-profile idols, even within H!P, they may get higher salary. Otherwise, girls like Karin, Ayacho would have left H!P a long time ago. There are idols who are successful in H!P, but it doesn't mean H!P is suitable for girls like Maro or Meimei. I think in H!P, idols who make more profit have higher salary, that's how the company keeps its employees. Furthermore, idols don't always have dreams about performing, sometimes they love acting or musicals, that's how they need to leave H!P.

#3309 Kurolivier

Kurolivier

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:24 PM

Pretty much every evidence we have goes against Maro's statements, including Maro herself actually.
But hey, that's Maroesque.
This is however very much true for Chika idols.

#3310 mie-chan

mie-chan

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:24 PM

The economy in Japan is in a deep decline right now, even JAL is letting their employees take a second job elsewhere to stay financially stable.

Hello project even gave up their main building, and people are worried hello project will go bankrupt soon.

#3311 DiegoKashiwagi

DiegoKashiwagi

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:51 AM

if i remember correctly, haropro idols are really well paid (not a fortune maybe, but they are some of the top paid idols)

and also, most of their payment comes from goods sales and individual work, and members like Karin are really good sellers 

#3312 Lurkette

Lurkette

マシュマロの心

• Headquarters
  • 3939 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:19 AM

We don't know their exact pay structure. It's most likely they are paid a base salary as a living wage for most of their activities, and they receive a portion of the money for work outside of those general activities (photobooks, tv appearances, etc). Whether or not they are paid anything based on merchandise is purely speculation. Personally, I doubt they are, but there isn't any knowing for sure.

In any case, to return to the subject at hand, Karin will do whatever it is she wants to do when she graduates. Maybe she doesn't want to be an Airi-level performer. Maybe she wants to do DIY on YouTube. I think she's had a very successful career as an idol so I don't feel like she's leaving on a sour note. Also her cat is the prettiest cat so she can take nothing but cat photos and I'd be happy.
DDOhydd.gif

#3313 Touki

Touki

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2326 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:54 AM

if i remember correctly, haropro idols are really well paid (not a fortune maybe, but they are some of the top paid idols)

and also, most of their payment comes from goods sales and individual work, and members like Karin are really good sellers 

In the past, yes. In the present, I don't know. I heard rumors that recently H!P idols are not paid as much former idols were. However, for idols who makes huge profit like Karin, even if the rumors are true, I don't think the salary of top H!P idols are significantly lower, just a little bit lower. Otherwise, girls wouldn't bother to audition for H!P, but went to 48's instead, even if it means that they would be at the back of any groups.

#3314 Greyface

Greyface

Prior of The Brotherhood of The Booger Beam

• Senpai
  • 5684 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:21 PM

In any case, to return to the subject at hand, Karin will do whatever it is she wants to do when she graduates. Maybe she doesn't want to be an Airi-level performer. Maybe she wants to do DIY on YouTube.

TBH, I would feel a little bad for Miyamoto if she decided to keep up 20 years of being an idol. With the stories of how hard her mother is on her on the topic, and how Karin herself is... relatively... let's say masochistic, (even though that's an overstatement) having her in a role with oppressive social expectations...

For half of her youth, OK.
For all of it. :(

This is quite the opposite of say, Wada Ayaka who had a very distinct self-defense instinct... where there was a balanced tension... I can only imagine Miyamoto internalizing a lot of garbage and then suddenly finding she has no more youth or energy to use at her own discretion.

I dunno, maybe this is random and not based on reality.
What I've learned about Japanese so far, is that you must first pay attention to these 2 things: Rule #1 and Context. After that, just pray they remember their high-school English class.

#3315 Lurkette

Lurkette

マシュマロの心

• Headquarters
  • 3939 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:03 PM

My general idol philosophy is that idols should enjoy what they do. If they don't, they shouldn't, and they shouldn't feel like they have to. Sure, I get sad when a favorite stops being an idol, but I would rather them leave when they're ready than stay and force a smile. Dawa is a unique case where her whole brand is that she is an idol for herself. As for Karin? I'm not sure anymore.

That said, we do have one other case where an idol graduated and got really into DIY. Ariyasu Momoka of Momoiro Clover Z graduated so that she could quite literally just do whatever she wanted without a schedule in front of her, and for the first year or two all she did was DIY. Then she got back into music indepdently as a singer-songwriter and seems to be enjoying herself quite a bit. I could certainly see Karin going down that path, since there are definitely some similarities there.
DDOhydd.gif

#3316 zeroyon

zeroyon

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1376 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:25 AM

It was announced today that Karin will be graduating from Juice=Juice on December 10th, 2020 at a concert at the Nippon Budokan:

http://www.helloproj...48a1a41bfeecdd9

The venue will be at half-capacity, with masks required, all-seating, and no cheering allowed.

I feel bad for the Karin wotas here living overseas that might have wanted to attend her grad, but are banned from entering Japan still... :(

Custom programmable LED pegboard. If anyone wants to make a similar thing, PM me and I will help you out =)

#3317 mie-chan

mie-chan

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:41 PM

One month and then she will be gone. I feel very sad.

#3318 rurupedia

rurupedia

rururururu

• Senpai
  • 1714 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

her graduation's gonna sting >_> hope she debuts solo soon after...

#3319 mie-chan

mie-chan

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:49 PM

her graduation's gonna sting >_> hope she debuts solo soon after...

Miyamoto Karin was the last person I was a fan of at hello project.  It's the end in more than one way, for me. 

#3320 Satur

Satur

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 5677 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:35 PM

Cheer up, Mie-chan! When I started following Jpop, my oshi Yaguchi were in hiatus but times goes better. I'm sure Karin will gives us more good times in the future. :good:

If you speak Spanish and like first times of Hello! Project, you can pay a visit to my blog Yaguchi y Yo (Yaguchi and Me).

Si entiendes español y te gusta la primera época de Hello! Project, puedes visitar mi blog Yaguchi y Yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users