Photo

How do you keep track/manage your CD/DVD backups?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:36 AM

With all this downloading goodness, I've reached the point that I don't have a comprehensive list of the files I have. I've been burning them to DVD but once it's off the HDD, I forget what I have... Anybody have a good solution? Recommend software?

#2 ky_khor

ky_khor

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1312 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:29 AM

1. make a catalogue (manual)

or

2. create a database (let say MS Access or OpenOffice), Categorize them, key in all the files and record. You filter out them, make query and searching for future use. The report is much more easier to generate.

eg detail. (can refer to the tracker tho) 1. file type, 2. file name, 3. desciption, 4. file size, 5. dvd-r serial 6. rate ..............

* of course dun forget to label ur dvd-r.

#3 nozomigoto

nozomigoto

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:02 AM

Just use permanent markers and write descriptive, yet short labels on the DVDs. I've also tried sticking on number labels on the cases and having a list on my computer corresponding to each number. Number 1 is music, Number 2 are PVs, etc.

In the end, you should not need any special software to organize your DVDs; just look for spyware free freeware if you really need one. The items you mostly need are slim cases, the blank DVDs themselves, and a multimedia tower to hold your cases neatly.

#4 ky_khor

ky_khor

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1312 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:04 AM

i dun think there is enough space to label all files on the DVD.

#5 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:57 AM

I hope all those files are for legit backups and reviewals. Of course they are :blink:

What i do is put a general description on the DvD if theres loads of stuff on it. Try and keep it all the same genra on there. If its just a few large files then thats not a problem just list them.

#6 Epofra2K

Epofra2K

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:18 PM

filesCatalog v1.7 XD

it reads the contents of any CD DVD, and adds the name of the files to it's own database.

You can then make searchs from the database to find out on which of your backups you did burned that old H!M episode from 2001. :)

You can also generate pretty cool HTML reports with the gategorized contents of your D.B.

The shareware version can be found on any download site.

...but good-luck on purchasing a "full-working" registered version, since the company's web-site has been M.I.A for a long time now... :ph34r:

a crack ??? what the heck is that ??? :blink:

#7 Zandar

Zandar

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:37 PM

filesCatalog v1.7 :blink:

it reads the contents of any CD DVD, and adds the name of the files to it's own database.

And here I just used notepad to copy pasye the filenames. heh.
Using control f to find out if I allready have that file. The list is now a couple of thousand lines orso.
It seems there are actual programs that will do that for you.
:ph34r:
If it ain't Musume, I don't want it.
Posted Image
by courtesy of Lainay.

#8 hu5h

hu5h

ハッシュ

• Senpai
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:55 PM

I haven't begun my archiving frenzy yet :blink: don't know if I ever will burn that many dvds tho, I'll just save the really good stuff and just stick to dl:ing new stuff (which is obviously don't have already XD )

Notepad seems the only kewl way to go tho :ph34r: creds to you zandar

#9 Sukachu

Sukachu

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:44 PM

Haven't made a list, should do that too :blink: .
***Make a Wish. Star light star bright, grant me my wish tonight***.

Posted Image

#10 memomu

memomu

H!O fileshare

• Senpai
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

Im just using .txt file for the names which include all files on the DVD on each corresponding DVD. I just put a new number on each new DVD that Im burning. 1,2,3,4 etc. Im now up on DVD 42 and that's only H!P, TV shows etc. I have 10+ for other stuff also that's Japanese. So i've burned somewhere around 200GB on DVD :blink:

#11 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:25 PM

filesCatalog v1.7 XD

You can then make searchs from the database to find out on which of your backups you did burned that old H!M episode from 2001. :)

You can also generate pretty cool HTML reports with the gategorized contents of your D.B.

The shareware version can be found on any download site.

...but good-luck on purchasing a "full-working" registered version, since the company's web-site has been M.I.A for a long time now... :ph34r:

a crack ??? what the heck is that ??? :blink:

I'll check it out, tx.

I'm too lazy to write my own. I was thinking of having a gui frontend to an mysql db. but the more I thought about it the more complex it became :)

#12 Santa-san

Santa-san

圣诞老人

• Senpai
  • 1254 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:30 PM

I've written a massive list/database with lenght, size, location etc. of everything I have (in asian music :blink: ) in EXCEL, just because I like the way the program works, and because I?Lm most experienced with this. Maybe I?Lll transfer it to a proper database program someday... :ph34r:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#13 agb

agb

3rd gen member

• Senpai
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

I've written a massive list/database with lenght, size, location etc. of everything I have (in asian music :blink: ) in EXCEL, just because I like the way the program works, and because I?Lm most experienced with this. Maybe I?Lll transfer it to a proper database program someday... :ph34r:

Cool! But how did you do the data entry?

Also, didn't excel give u performance probs ~100k records?

#14 Santa-san

Santa-san

圣诞老人

• Senpai
  • 1254 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:46 PM

Heh.. No way, It works like charm! It is well over 1 meg.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#15 GenoSv

GenoSv

7th gen member

• Uploader
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:08 PM

let's just say I dont manage :blink:;
Although I try to keep stuff in special boxes, which I put into some shelfs, but now when there are like 100 boxes it doesn't work very good anymore. So go with the other suggestions ...

#16 ZiH

ZiH

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:53 PM

I use WhereIsIt http://www.whereisit-soft.com, but it is necessary find crack or buy - she not free.

Or list in MS Excel
I don't speak english, but understand =)

#17 yakuruto

yakuruto

おーはー!

• Dai-Senpai
  • 599 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 09:30 AM

I use CD Bank Cataloguer V2.2.4. It's not free though
Posted Image

#18 MMFAN

MMFAN

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:04 AM

MS Excel

it roks :blush: :D
ITALIAN Morning Musume FAN

#19 Ishikawa Minoru

Ishikawa Minoru

6th gen member

• Banned
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:16 PM

It all started with some audio files I found inside a simple music CD,then came the PVs,Hello! Morning episodes,Hey!Hey!Hey!,and now it has come down to this:thousands upon thousands of files,hundreds of gigabytes worth of data,and several hours per week spent trying to organize all this stuff.
When you purchase their CDs,DVDs and Photobooks you just need some shelf space to store it all.Despite the fact my collection is growing,I'll always be able to house it all without much effort.One DVD now,2 next week and so on.Even if I have all H!P DVDs I just need a medium sized shelf on my room(I'm aiming for this,though I know it's insanely expensive).
Stuff you download doesn't take much physical space but can accumulate on your HDD at an insane rhythm.I started downloading in April and now I have more than 100 GB worth of data(I apologize for not being able to seed more,my ISP's lame).
Because I am paranoid I tend to burn all the files I download onto DVD as soon as I can,because I couldn't even bear the thought of losing them.
So,in early May,I created an OpenOffice calc file and started organizing everything I own.For each file I fill in it's name,size,when it was broadcast/went on sale and DVD code.Each DVD I burn is merely labeled "HPZGMF-X###A",with ### being a number,so when I want to watch something that's not on my HDD I just have to search for it's code and then find the DVD.This is much easier than writing all over the CD label,there isn't enough space and it gets hard to read.
Right now I have 537 entries on my spreadsheet,though this doesn't really correspond to all the stuff I own because I tend to group some files together,namely all the tracks in a CD single or album.
So,how do you keep track of your files?

P.S.-In case you're wondering HPZGMF-X###A stands for Hello! Project and ZGMF(Zero Gravity Maneuver Fighter) is a pun on the Gundam Seed ZAFT mobile weapon naming system.

#20 ferrar1

ferrar1

4th gen member

• Uploader
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:34 PM

i have

2 X book shelves frm IKEA in my room for my CDs, DVDs.

1 X drawer for e pictorials (i only have a few)

4 X 320 GB HDD seperated by 2 HDD tower casing.

:)

still im missing e whole series of 2002 hello morning. tts my only regret. + of coz a few of those utaban files and other miscellaneous files.