• Please log in to reply
915 replies to this topic

#1 mixedmedia

mixedmedia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 3089 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:09 AM

Can it be there is no thread for this group yet? Just saw their performance on Music Station promoting their major label debut single Doll and it's the best one I've heard yet.

I probably haven't heard all of what little they've released (or I forgot a bit, sorry) so far but I figured that 'Doll' was worth starting a thread for them.

They've barely released 4 singles and already toured the US and are set to perform in Paris or already have.

Scandal's jpop stop page

PV for Doll and the even more energetic performance from Music Station. Music Fair 21 appearance.

PV for Space Ranger their first single.

More to come as I find more links.

#2 donkeykong80

donkeykong80

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:50 AM

I didn't know they were internationally known.
I've heard a few of their stuffs and they're pretty good. Especially Doll..yeah. I've been playing the PV non stop on youtube since I can't find anywhere to download it. :good:
We need more girl bands. Its sad that Nakanomori Band disbanded and Eu Phoria does not seem to be going anywhere.
Posted Image

#3 neko

neko

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

omg, I love them! That's cool they got on Music Station. I first heard about them from the Japan Nite Tour. I never got to go, but I saw them on the website and checked them out. I really like their music. That's cool that they're getting more exposure in Japan.
VOTE FOR KPOP ON MTV PUSH FACEBOOK PAGE!!!
click me!!!

#4 Ruki~

Ruki~

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

They had already been to France!!! They were simply amazing ^^ love them^^ my favourite song is Love Fruit ^^

Love Fruit
Posted Image

#5 ItsudemoAibon

ItsudemoAibon

Kago Information Network

• Senpai
  • 9503 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

I didn't know they were internationally known.
I've heard a few of their stuffs and they're pretty good. Especially Doll..yeah. I've been playing the PV non stop on youtube since I can't find anywhere to download it. :P
We need more girl bands. Its sad that Nakanomori Band disbanded and Eu Phoria does not seem to be going anywhere.

I think they were on the 2008 Japan Night tour in the US..............yes, they talk about this on the Music Fighter segment..............

They're not bad but.............this is better:

http://www.hello-onl...?showtopic=1562

Tsubomi

And, of course, the best Japanese all-girl band of all time (IMHO):

Akashi

#6 neko

neko

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:03 AM

Actually...they're not. I'm a huge Zone fan and was glad to see Maria start up. I was even at their secret live in Shinjuku back in 06, but their music isn't all that "rocky". Zone rocked out way harder than Maria did. Scandals sound is a lot cooler.
VOTE FOR KPOP ON MTV PUSH FACEBOOK PAGE!!!
click me!!!

#7 donkeykong80

donkeykong80

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:46 AM

Actually...they're not. I'm a huge Zone fan and was glad to see Maria start up. I was even at their secret live in Shinjuku back in 06, but their music isn't all that "rocky". Zone rocked out way harder than Maria did. Scandals sound is a lot cooler.

You got that right, mate.
Posted Image

#8 mixedmedia

mixedmedia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 3089 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:55 AM

Definitely lets not compare dissimilar bands just because they have girls in them. ZONE was great. MARIA is good but they're not ZONE and despite all efforts to distinguish the two apart I think fans have a hard time doing so.

Just because Scandal has 4 girls does not make them the same as ZONE (or MARIA or any other girl band) so I'd prefer people leave it at that and appreciate them for what they are. In my limited knowledge of bands the closest comparison might be The Donnas but even that would be not entirely true.

I wouldn't try and figure out whether or not chatmonchy is better than Go!Go!7188 or Shonen Knife or vice versa. They might all be (mostly) female trios but each have their strengths and weaknesses and in my mind music isn't about competing to find out who the "best" is since it's a personal thing.

Don't know if that makes complete sense but I hate when people get into a ____ is better than _____ contest since no one wins or changes the other's mind.

Scandal's good at their slightly punkish sound and the schoolgirl uniforms provide visual entertainment.

#9 ItsudemoAibon

ItsudemoAibon

Kago Information Network

• Senpai
  • 9503 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:21 AM

I'd been thinking about my post above for a long time and want to apologize for dumping on your thread. I guess I'm so Zone/Miyu/Maria crazy that I can't help showing my love for them wherever I can...........which, of course, is unnecessary here on H!O because Zone (and the rest of Run Time) is the only group that has its own sub-forum that's not an H!P group and there are plenty of places to express Zone love on this website.........

And I'm not saying that I don't care for Scandal because they do have a cool thing going for them. It IS different than Zone and Maria and Perfume and on and on and on......

#10 mixedmedia

mixedmedia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 3089 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:12 AM

It's not that big a deal but knowing how the internet kind of works I wanted to preemptively prevent this thread form any other posts which would turn it into a _____ is better than SCANDAL or whatever thread. I appreciate your enthusiasm and understand sometimes it can cause misunderstanding. Not to mention a lot of the other posts in threads where members seem hell bent on derailing them to talk about their favorite things. It also took me a while to decide whether or not to bother bringing it up and how to do it as tactfully as possible.

Anyway back on topic: Music Japan 081106 It's practically an all girls rock special with some guys thrown in. Here's the lineup.

SCANDAL - DOLL
Stereopony - Hitohira no Hanabira

BREAKERZ - Angelic Smile / WINTER PARTY
chatmonchy - Somaru yo
color bottle - Aoi Hana
Hi-Fi CAMP - Koi
Jin-Machine - Kankyou Destroy
Shonen Knife - Super Group

Figured I'd post it since most of the links in the first thread got removed from youtube.

#11 hanniie

hanniie

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

SCANDAL!! :] hahaha that band was really nice i love their song DOLL >_< they really rock :lol:

#12 Phob

Phob

GACKT Is love~

• Senpai
  • 780 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

I love Scandal! :) ~
But, I don't think it would be easy to download their stuff. XD
They're really good, though. I love DOLL! It's an awesome song =3

#13 mixedmedia

mixedmedia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 3089 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

Was watching their PV for Sakura Goodbye and thought Suzuki Rina (the drummer) looks a lot like Kamei Eri in the video. Either way it's a good song and Tomomi's bassline rocks!

I already know my next guitar is 99.9% going to be a Fender Telecaster but if somehow I can get one that sounds amazing in the same color scheme as Tomomi's bass (or Akiko Fukuoka from Chatmonchy's bass) that would be awesome! I should probably practice more in anticipation of that day instead of just daydreaming of more stuff though.

#14 Nayok-Kihara

Nayok-Kihara

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 14639 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

12-part SCANDAL J-Pop ONA Streaming This Week on ANN (Video Link)

As an experiment with Sony Music Japan, ANN presents the 12-part web anime SCANDAL, a fictionalized story of the genesis of the girl rock band of the same name. The band appeared at Sakura-Con 2008. One new short episode will be made available daily, followed by two original music videos.

Fandom Obsessive.
XgqXhMV.png
Graphics by nono:)bbz & Charlokylie.

#15 Haro-Chan~!

Haro-Chan~!

Haro desu

• Senpai
  • 667 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

SCANDAL is awesome!!
I love their Sakura Goodbye song!

Dorky Haro-Chan is my favorite Haro-Chan~!
Posted Image
Siggy Made By Hotaru~Ruru!!!

#16 mixedmedia

mixedmedia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 3089 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

Anyone know how to save those videos off of ANN? Tried asking this question in one of the tech threads but most people seemed to be mentioning stuff they use even though it wouldn't work on that particular site.

Re-up of the Sakura Goodbye PV since youtube took down the one I put up earlier.

#17 rnwc

rnwc

1st gen member

• Senpai
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

Amyone knows the guitars used by the girls? I recognise the Fenders but am not sure about the other one. Looks like a Rickenbacker but I doubt it.

#18 mixedmedia

mixedmedia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 3089 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazz Bass
Gibson Les Paul Special Doublecut

At least that's what it looks like to me. May or may not be those exact guitars since Japanese companies make some really good replicas for a lot less also.

Darn now that I went and bothered to look it up I have an inkling of a feeling to check out some Gibsons despite their skyrocketing prices and notorious fragility (headstock breakage is common). I'd probably be better off just getting a Japanese knock off (Tokai, Burny, Edwards, etc) for less since those seem to be a better value.

After checking further seems the cheapest decent option might be the Korean Agile AD-2300 or Eastwood P90 Special which go for around $250~400 new.

In other news, looks like their soon to be released single 'Shojo S' is the 10th OP for Bleach. While I don't like it as much as 'DOLL' of 'Sakura Goodbye' I look forward to seeing the PV and live performances when they go on a music show.

#19 rnwc

rnwc

1st gen member

• Senpai
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it does look like the Gibson Les Paul. I wouldn't bother with a Gibson though. Overpriced. Epiphones are just as good for their price. I've even tried some China brand guitars that are well made for their price and if you spend some moeny to upgrade it, you will have a guitar that sounds twice its price.

Looks like the girls are becoming more popular. Good for them. Starting to like them more as well. Reminiscent of 90s rock. Have to find out more about them.

#20 mixedmedia

mixedmedia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 3089 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

'Shojo S' PV is out!

Aside from the obvious fake playing in the rain and the super creepy janitor I guess it's not a bad video.

Haven't bothered to look but I would like to see more live performances since so far all I've seen is them fake playing on music shows.

The Music Station 'performance' was extra fake w/ no one plugged in (not even into wireless), amps not even on and neither the drums nor amps miked up. Either way it was all for the visual effect of schoolgirls rocking out in the rain in a TV studio. The singing was probably live but rain + electricity = sketchy situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users